Boycotts

___

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's easy to mock boycotts, but they can be effective even with small numbers involved. A family can easily spend £1,000 a year at a supermarket. If a thousand families decide to boycott, that deprives the supermarket of £1m of annual revenue. That's pretty significant. That said, unless it changes behaviour, there is little political benefit to be gained by boycotting.

But it can be personally satisfying. I feel good, for example, about not paying for a TV licence. I made no boycott statement, but I no longer criticise the news agenda or its overpaid presenters because I don't pay for them and they don't influence me.

Another plus to switching allegiance from supermarkets comes if you your money locally instead. If others follow the same path it enriches your local community and lessens corporate influence. If we don't shop at Asda, its threats of price rises carry no weight.

If you don't like what certain companies said in the run up to polling day then you are perfectly entitled to spend your money elsewhere if you feel that way but an actual organised boycott could make us appear petty and spiteful.

The Daily Record and Asda for me. Which is a bit of a pisser as Asda in Ayr is 2 minutes from me.

I don't know if you could call it a boycott as it's not a product I'm buying, but I will NEVER vote Labour again.

And look, I used capital letters to emphasise "never", so I really mean it.

The Daily Record and Asda for me. Which is a bit of a pisser as Asda in Ayr is 2 minutes from me.

I don't know if you could call it a boycott as it's not a product I'm buying, but I will NEVER vote Labour again.

And look, I used capital letters to emphasise "never", so I really mean it.

Again? You mean to tell me that I have been slumming it on here mixing with working classes?

With a week to go I started looking at everything I buy. I now buy food only sourced in Scotland.

Where I have a choice I will buy Scottish goods, where I have no Scottish choice I will buy non UK products.

It might not change the world but I will feel better for it.

Again? You mean to tell me that I have been slumming it on here mixing with working classes?

My name is Confidemus and it has been several years since I last voted Labour.

:(

We should start a "Labour Anonymous" group.

Businesses did what businesses have always done - look after themselves and their shareholders.

If we bocotted every business that did sonething we didn't agree with I suspect there wouldn't be many left to deal with.

Or maybe when they started losing custom they might change their way. They are here to supply not to threaten. Consumers have the power not business.

Or maybe when they started losing custom they might change their way. They are here to supply not to threaten. Consumers have the power not business.

That's exactly right. The wider issue about boycotts is actually reclaiming some power as an individual. Corporates have been telling us what to do for too long.

I suppose I could boycott Walmart since they own Asda but it's been ages since I stepped foot in one. That place attracts the most vile, trashy, inbred types you can imagine. Nothing quite so vomit inducing as standing behind a fat, sweaty, cellulite laden creature in tight shorts. Asda's future maybe.

Archived