Devolve Oil Revenue?

git-intae-thum

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure that anywhere belongs to anyone. I think that people lay claims to things. If Scotland has the right right to a referendum to leave the UK then surely it follows that Shetland, for example, should be allowed the same democratic choice should it ever desire this. If the Falklands ever decide to join Argentina, it'll be there choice etc.

Shetland, due to it's size, falls inside Scottish waters. It may be granted enclave status, giving it around 12 miles of territorial waters. The majority of the oil would still be in Scottish waters.

With that in mind, can you explain the point, the purpose of the Union?

At its heart the purpose of the Union is to unite people. This can be seen to be for economic and social benefit. The bond of togetherness that unites has been a successful barrier to the mind-set of separation, difference, us and them and the path that this can lead toward. This notion of peace reminds me of a speech by Federal Chancellor Merkel and her clear message of integration and the removal of barriers, real world and perceived. It seems that at a time when countries are looking to come together that Salmond and co.’s view of nationalism and separation is of a different age. From that perspective, how far should this go? In the UK many regions are fed up with WM, does that mean that we should move towards ever smaller solutions, maybe the ancient kingdoms in the hope that this improves our lot, as opposed to tackling the bigger problem? Would this set a precedent for others to follow, be it the Basques, the northern Italians wishing to break the 150 year unification of Italy, maybe the southern states in the USA might harbour feelings of breaking from the yanks….who knows. So unions are, by definition, a way of uniting people.

what great acts does it still have in it?

Here, I would suggest that at this point in time and under these circumstances the focus should not be upon what it ‘has in it’, but what it ‘should have in it’, the first thing being a written constitution – which as I am sure you know that amazingly, the UK does not have one, yet!

what principles it aims to protect?

Freedom, democracy and peace are three that are fundamental.

where is it's ambition?

It would seem that the ambition of the majority in Scotland is to maintain the Union. What for? I would say that there is a belief that ‘the whole is greater than the sum of its parts’ and that further to this, all of that discussed above rests in the minds of those wise enough to look over the edge of the box.

What's it's point, where are we going?

Again, I’d say ‘the point’ is described in part above but this is obviously limited to a few words of a football forum. The destination, who knows…I suppose we will find out our part over the coming years. The first hurdle for wherever that might be was that it will be as a United Kingdom. That said, you would have to say that it is not beyond the realms of possibility to imagine that one day, all, or large parts of the world might be united and todays kingdoms and countries left as history lessons for future generations, as was the seven main kingdoms that now make up England - Northumbria, Mercia, East Anglia, Essex, Kent, Sussex, and Wessex. In the meantime I think it’s clear that WM will have to change, maybe the UK will adopt a federal approach, maybe something else. It is seemingly the next chapter in our story.

I think you may want to change the "My Team" part of your profile...

What should happen, IMO, is that 'team Scotland'

I agree

Now than ending this unholy union is out of the question for an unspecified period of time team scotland should have the labour party in its sights

this vile hing needs ended in Scotland because it is probably worse than the union

I agree

Now than ending this unholy union is out of the question for an unspecified period of time team scotland should have the labour party in its sights

this vile hing needs ended in Scotland because it is probably worse than the union

This is the new tact of UKIP too. All out attack on Labour whilst they are too busy looking at their shoes.

Archived