Devolve Oil Revenue?

git-intae-thum

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Westminster is serious about preserving the union then with full devo max surely we should control all revenue raised in scotland.

Westminster could then send us a bill (independently costed) for services under reserved issues ie foriegn affairs and defence.

It is only this kind of radical approach that could preserve the union long term

If Westminster is serious about preserving the union then with full devo max surely we should control all revenue raised in scotland.

Westminster could then send us a bill (independently costed) for services under reserved issues ie foriegn affairs and defence.

It is only this kind of radical approach that could preserve the union long term

Oil revenue being the one thing they wouldn't dare devolve.

You have to wonder why though. We have just went through a whole campaign with the no camp saying its a volatile declining resource.

Surely they weren't lying to people.

I think it's not so much that the overall oil contribution to the economy is so much that losing it at westminster would be catastrophic, more that having the oil flow directly into Holyrood would represent a clear concentration of wealth in scotlands' coffers that would be seen as unacceptable to the Westminster parliament. Ironically of course, labour would resist this more than the Tories would.

If you can't give any reasonable response then don't bother.

Sorry but when I have pointed to the fact that the independence campaign has for a large part been based upon oil and I've been told by some of the more vocal yessers on here that it is not. When I point out that the union didn't start 30 years ago, when oil was discovered and the referendum push began, again I'm told that its just a coincidence. When I've said in relation to this that it all seems a bit Man City and that a percentage of Yes voters are fairweather friends, well nothing really comes back from that. Scotland have done very well out of the union and for the parts of the UK that are suffering from WM too it seems a bit shit and chav-like that Salmond has pulled some people into this. If oil was not in the north sea would there be any push to go it alone? Maybe from a few haters but for most, I doubt it.....

I think it's a fair argument to be honest. Why should it take some fucking lord and the parties of Westminster to decide what's good for Scotland, wit no Scottish representative at any point involved? Surely these things should be open to negotiation, because otherwise it just looks like we're feeding from the scraps thrown from the table.

Archived