Stupid Names For Kids

Romeo

I'm still not getting this and it's annoying me. Anybody kind enough to explain? :unsure:

Wee Indian Boy "Chief, how do you choose um names for um children of tribe when they um born ?"

Chief "When I come out of um teepee, I name child after the first thing I see, like Running Horse or Mountain Eagle, why do you ask Two Dogs Fucking ?"

For some reason it tickles me.

My favourite urban legend is that there's at least one Geronimo living in Ayrshire. No surprise perhaps. What does make me wonder, though, is the lack of Elvises/Elvii on the landscape. You'da thunk, wouldn't you?

I believe that there is a guy in Glasgow called Gelvis Pressley, and I haven't misspelt either name.

I don't think I've laughed so hard and for so long as the time one of my pals told me he had a uni lecturer called Wenky Pan. The further detail that he had a bucket for grogging in beside his lectern did not help matters.

I've found that the green side of Belfast is good for names. I had never met a real, live Barry until a few months ago; then another one moved into the same hostel a wee while later. Incredible scenes. Aohdon, Aoife, Eamonn, Nuala and Aine are also some good/ perplexing ones.

^Tarquin who went to Kelvinside! :P

Seriously though, Barry?? It's a pretty common name........everywhere except Strathaven obviously!

I've met loads of Barrys, there's even a Barry Sr and a Barry Jr a couple of doors away. :lol:

My favourite urban legend is that there's at least one Geronimo living in Ayrshire. No surprise perhaps. What does make me wonder, though, is the lack of Elvises/Elvii on the landscape. You'da thunk, wouldn't you?

There was, a whole f*ckin family of them. Drongen if I recall correctly.

One was being buried when the bottom fell out his coffin tipping him out onto the ground!

Cue " Geronimos last stand " type headline in the local paper.

I remember a newspaper article a few years ago and some half-wits had called their wee girl Porsche Carrera. The female part of the half-wits (that would make her a quarter-wit) was asked why they had called the unfortunate wee thing this and she was quoted as saying, "Some people don't even realise that it's the name of a car!"

Apparently the registrar does his / her best to dissuade parents from giving their offspring stupid names, but can only refuse to register what are considered "offensive" names.

I think sticking to the old spellings that make absolutely no sense to a child trying to understand English is daft. The vast majority of names have derived from different spellings/languages and have been anglicised because we speak English.

My daughter has an anglicisation of an Irish name (Niamh) because I liked the name not the way it was spelt....

and f**k trying to explain h=v etc to a 5 year old learning how to read using phonetics.

Incidentally I've never seen Siobhan spelt any other way.

Chyvonne, Chevon, Shevonn are all variations I've seen in the recent past. No doubt there are others.

^Tarquin who went to Kelvinside! :P

Seriously though, Barry?? It's a pretty common name........everywhere except Strathaven obviously!

I've met loads of Barrys, there's even a Barry Sr and a Barry Jr a couple of doors away. :lol:

Must be an old person thing. I'm sure I remember there being a segment on some show years ago urging parents-to-be to start calling kids Barry again. They even went so far as to find a couple who had called their new born Barry and got the three of them to appear in it one week.

I worked with a guy years back when I lived in Greenock, his name was Alexander Alexander, as was his dad and grandad. We called him echo.

Once taught an Alexander Alexander. A family tradition for the first born male, apparently.

He preferred to be called Sandy.

Was he from the Port? I'm assuming it must be the same guy.

ETA It was actually his sister I worked with, but he was regularly in the pub when she was working.

Edited by Ross.

Was he from the Port? I'm assuming it must be the same guy.

ETA It was actually his sister I worked with, but he was regularly in the pub when she was working.

Yep - he was from the Port.

I quoted the post on page 1 without reading the rest, hadn't seen yours on the same guy.

I don't think I've laughed so hard and for so long as the time one of my pals told me he had a uni lecturer called Wenky Pan. The further detail that he had a bucket for grogging in beside his lectern did not help matters.

I've found that the green side of Belfast is good for names. I had never met a real, live Barry until a few months ago; then another one moved into the same hostel a wee while later. Incredible scenes. Aohdon, Aoife, Eamonn, Nuala and Aine are also some good/ perplexing ones.

I don't think I have ever met a girl called Aoife who wasn't at least 8/10.

I was scanning the death notices this afternoon (as is my wont) when I came across George Wylie. F**k me, I thought, George Wylie's dead. Then I realised this chap was actually called Wylie George (no relation)..

I was scanning the death notices this afternoon (as is my wont) when I came across George Wylie. F**k me, I thought, George Wylie's dead. Then I realised this chap was actually called Wylie George (no relation)..

Again?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/george-wyllie-legendary-scottish-artist-dies-at-90.2012056661

Selfish b*****d, dying twice.