Menzel's Czech Fitba Thread

Menzel

Roman Bednars old club  Příbram who Rudi Skacel now plays for could come up, they have been dreadful for years.

Pardubice, which is about half way between Prague and Brno could come up also. I have been to Pardubice a lot with work but never made a game there, the ground reminds me of Glenaftons Loch Park

Capture.thumb.PNG.dd7eec6460b7cfe68fd89d3b9204ebf2.PNGaa_a_crowd.thumb.jpg.6425ca2b39d8f7090ed168b769a5d2fd.jpg

They're obviously there on merit, but that must be the Czech equivalent of Livingston getting promoted, contributing absolutely nothing to nobody. 

You have to wonder whether some sort of 'Danube League' would be a better option than three pretty weak national setups in Czechia, Slovakia and Hungary and only a slightly better one in Austria. 

I'm not sure if Pardubice is more of a hockey town or not, they used to regularly win the national championship but I don't think they get massive crowds there either.

When Czech folk ask me if I am in to football, they always follow it up with asking if I support either of the old firm. When I ask who they support , it is almost always Arsenal or Chelsea and then say they don't watch Czech football as it is hovno.  I think the ambivalence/apathy towards local leagues because of the Premiership has taken a lot of the money and development out of them.

CZ has a population of about twice the size of Scotland and have three teams regularly getting an attendance of about 10k so it is hard to see, other than a change like regional cross border leagues or cups, what could ignite an interest, although it hasn't really worked with the Irn Bru cup here. 

2 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

Going to Slavia-Karvina this Friday night. Any recommendations on decent pubs near the stadium would be appreciated!

There is a sports bar at the stadium, next to the club shop, there is also a beer garden area outside the hotel. You can get a beer while watching the game also. 

Capturek.thumb.PNG.d7569c607ac99df8bbadd7fcb5965871.PNG

I normally get the tram straight to the ground, there is a lot of decent pubs near IP Pavlova and Namesti Miru, you can get the 22 tram from there to the Slavia stop. 

I have been in the following bar, it does tank beer, not sure if you have been to Prague before but tank beer is unpasteurised and has to be consumed two weeks from manufacture, the first time it is exposed to light and oxygen is when it is poured. 

http://www.vrsovickakozlovna.cz/

It if maybe 100 yards up from the Slavia tram stop 

On 05/04/2018 at 19:26, virginton said:

That term doesn't really translate well to a landlocked country! Banik were relegated just three years ago IIRC; they took a very healthy crowd to Bohemians' ground on a Friday night in April they won the game but their fans seemed more interested in getting kicked out or a kicking by the authorities. In terms of their recent seasons they look like an Airdrie/Ayr style yo-yoing irrelevance. 

Aye, didn't really think that through! Baník's banner at Bohemka last season, "Baník fans f**k Islam" was good for a chuckle,  but they are really a horrible club with some of the worst fans in the Czech Republic. I know a few people from Opava who were overjoyed they got promoted (they were relegated and came straight back up for this season), as they pretty much trashed the town the last time Ostrava came through for a game. My worry at this point is that Zbrojovka play them away on the last game of the season, and it could be a case of them already being down and bringing down Brno with them. Based on the team this year - lowest scorers in the league, no goals in the last three games - I am not convinced that Brno would get out of the FNL. The team should have got a point yesterday against a very poor Slavia side, and instead crumbled after a soft goal. I fear for their chances.

On 05/04/2018 at 19:26, virginton said:

ooking at the teams in the league below,  and apart from a stack of diddies the best contribution to the to flight IMO would be Dynamo České Budějovice. Karel Poborský is their chairman, South Bohemia lacks a credible football team and the home of Budweiser Budvar would make for a cracking away day. Looks like a tidy ground as well.

You're spot-on here: we made the trip while Dynamo were still in the top league and a cracking time was had by all. You've no shortage of great pubs around the town and cheap accommodation options if you want to make a weekend of it. We booked two beds in a hostel and we were the only customers! 

Edited by Menzel

46 minutes ago, Menzel said:

The team should have got a point yesterday against a very poor Slavia side, and instead crumbled after a soft goal. I fear for their chances.

Slavia have been consistent all season but have been brutal to watch, Skoda aside, there are very few goals in the team, Stoch and Danny were brought in as creative players but have been pretty poor. I am a massive fan of Husbauer though, plays a simple game and can be a nasty b*****d when he has to be. 

I was travelling to Airdrie yesterday so I never got to see the game, the goal looked like about 75% of Slavia goals this season.

On 4/8/2018 at 12:25, diegomarahenry said:

There is a sports bar at the stadium, next to the club shop, there is also a beer garden area outside the hotel. You can get a beer while watching the game also. 

Capturek.thumb.PNG.d7569c607ac99df8bbadd7fcb5965871.PNG

I normally get the tram straight to the ground, there is a lot of decent pubs near IP Pavlova and Namesti Miru, you can get the 22 tram from there to the Slavia stop. 

I have been in the following bar, it does tank beer, not sure if you have been to Prague before but tank beer is unpasteurised and has to be consumed two weeks from manufacture, the first time it is exposed to light and oxygen is when it is poured. 

It if maybe 100 yards up from the Slavia tram stop 

Thanks a lot! That Vrsovicka sounds like a good shout.

On 4/8/2018 at 14:03, diegomarahenry said:

Slavia have been consistent all season but have been brutal to watch, Skoda aside, there are very few goals in the team, Stoch and Danny were brought in as creative players but have been pretty poor. I am a massive fan of Husbauer though, plays a simple game and can be a nasty b*****d when he has to be. 

I was travelling to Airdrie yesterday so I never got to see the game, the goal looked like about 75% of Slavia goals this season.

He must have been reading this, he managed a cheeky lob and a 25 yard thunderb*****d on Saturday.

After the weekend, I think that's Zbrojovka done - now bottom, gutless against Slovacko and Viktoria up next on Saturday. Can only see us getting points from Jihlava and maybe Baník in the next month of games.

Hello, im heading to prague the first weekend in may and both slavia and sparta are at home on the saturday. Any recommendations for which one to go and see. Its a stag do so looking for a few beers during the afternoon nearby too! Cheers

On 4/19/2018 at 17:10, Mr_Magoo said:

Hello, im heading to prague the first weekend in may and both slavia and sparta are at home on the saturday. Any recommendations for which one to go and see. Its a stag do so looking for a few beers during the afternoon nearby too! Cheers

Slavia v Pilsen are currently the top two teams in CZ, Slavia are currently 5 points behind Pilzen with 6 games to go. It will probably be the game of the season in Czech football. 

Sparta v Zlin, Sparta have struggled the last couple of years and Zlin were outsiders for the league last year after coming from nowhere but are currently in a relegation fight. 

Out the two, Sparta are easier to get to, the Gererali Arena is a walk-able distance from the centrum through the Letenska park. Slavia is easier to get to by tram, there is a stop 100 yards from the ground. 

The 5th is also the Czech national teams first game in the ice hockey world cup, the game is in Sweden but it is normally a decent atmosphere in bars watching it. 

Slavia v Pilsen are currently the top two teams in CZ, Slavia are currently 5 points behind Pilzen with 6 games to go. It will probably be the game of the season in Czech football. 
Sparta v Zlin, Sparta have struggled the last couple of years and Zlin were outsiders for the league last year after coming from nowhere but are currently in a relegation fight. 
Out the two, Sparta are easier to get to, the Gererali Arena is a walk-able distance from the centrum through the Letenska park. Slavia is easier to get to by tram, there is a stop 100 yards from the ground. 
The 5th is also the Czech national teams first game in the ice hockey world cup, the game is in Sweden but it is normally a decent atmosphere in bars watching it. 

Thanks for the reply, got tickets for slavia/plzen, the sparta game is switched to friday so we wont make it. Had to take tickets for this weekends game against slovacko as part of the deal so if anyone is about and wants a ticket or 6 give me a shout!

Just going to cram this in here seeing as they played in the same domestic league for 75 years - quite possibly the biggest  match in Slovak football for decades is set to take place this weekend. The two historically largest and most successful sides - Slovan Bratislava and Spartak Trnava - meet in what is already by far the biggest derby in the country. The twist here is added by the fact that, with four games left of the league season left to play, Spartak are seven points clear of the weirdo Hungarian-Slovak border bumpkins Dunajska Streda at the top of the table and are poised to win their first top flight championship since winning the Czechoslovak First League five years in a row between 1968-1973 (c. Wikipedia).  Slovan are ten points adrift in 3rd and need to win to keep their miniscule title hopes alive; while a defeat for Dunajska Streda earlier that day could see Spartak clinch the title in Bratislava.

In their infinite wisdom and probably at the behest of TV money as well, Slovak officials have chosen to hold this powderkeg  match at 8:30pm on Saturday night.  I expect unprecedented scenes.

My only experience with Slovak football was when my girlfriends father took me to see Tatran Presov, his local team play FC Nitra, an tense afternoon where I sat with a man who spoke no English and I spoke minimum Czech at the time, watching his team getting soundly pumped. 

stadionzhora.jpg.d2e1dfaa68f549ba40bb563d3837f874.jpg

They'll be going back down to the Second Division the way things are going as well. 

Dunajska Streda completely folded in the afternoon game to hand Spartak the chance to claim the title at their rivals... which they failed to do, losing 2-1 in Bratislava. Attendance not great (Slovan currently attract League One level crowds; they're moving into a new stadium at the end of the year which seems to massively increase support at any club in Slovak football), but it looks like Spartak pretty much old out their restricted allocation and took at least a thousand down the road to the capital.  Not sure what state the local area will be in by the morning though.

Spartak play Dunajska Streda at home next Saturday and a win for them will clinch the title - another defeat and they might just Dundee this.  

Spartak clinched their first league title in either country in 45 years with a 2-0 win over Hungarian bumpkins Dunajska Streda yesterday. The first fifteen minutes saw Spartak win and convert a penalty and hit the post; a Dunajska Streda player given two bookings for the penalty foul and a horrendous challenge near the touchline;  another away player booked for a shocking challenge before being sent off alongside a Spartak players in the rammy that erupted seconds later. After that, the last 75 minutes were tame by comparison, with the away goalkeeper foolishly trying to take on Spartak's forward during the second half, and gifting him possession and a tap-in to seal the title. 

As you'd imagine, the scenes continued long into the night across the city as well. 

I managed to take in Slavias 2-0 victory over Plzen at the weekend, Plzen could have been crowned champions with a win but the reverse means that Slavia are now six points behind with three games left. Both teams have much the same run-in playing Dukla and Teplice, Slavia have a slightly harder game against 4th place Jablonec.  Slavia have ended the season well but I think they will end the season competing with Olomouc for second rather that with Plzen for first. 

Because I was flying back today I didn't get to the MOL cup final, the Cz national cup last night where Slavia beat Jablonec 3-1 at Mlada Boleslav's stadium. 

The wall of police around the pitch looks a bit excessive