Queen's Park vs Albion Rovers

Andyboy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a classic and not a great number of chances in the game. Rovers took them when they came and we didn't. Gemmell is a bit of a panto villain, but he's such an asset at this level and he showed it today.

I really enjoyed that game. The first half I thought Rovers were poor and Queens Park had a good spell of possession and were very good breaking forward. Their No 11 playing on the left had good movement and was able to take players on. Releasing the ball was a bit of a problem for the lad though and QP wasted a lot of their chances. Nicking a goal before the break made the world of difference and in the second half Rovers were a different team. Very fluid going forward and (sorry, I have been 5 games this season and still not learned the players names as yet) but the No 7 on the left, The centre half (No 5) and the Right Back (No 2) all stood out for me. The two strikers were excellent and the second goal was well taken.

Good summary; can't add much to that at all. It was, as you say, very much a game of two halfs.

#7 was Marc McKenzie who was the only Rovers player to shine in both halfs. #5 was Ross Dunlop and #2 Alan Reid, both of whom, in my opinion, have had better games. 2nd half stars for me were: the incomparable John Gemmell (#9), who must be a nightmare to play against when his blood is up; Scott Chaplain (#10), who is right back on form; and Gary Phillips # 8 who was freed from midfield screening duties in the second half and had some terrific runs from deep.

It's great to be through to the next round, but the psychological importance of putting one of our closest League challengers in their place should not be under=estimated.

We didn't make any, although Mullin and Cusack were about to come on when QP scored their consolation. Sky Sports Centre is arguably the best place for teams, although the app can be frustratingly slow at times.

Apps are no good for me- there are calculators more advanced than my phone, and George Foreman grills more sophisticated than my laptop.

Was it a 4-4-2, as alluded to by Addie? Chaplain and Gemmell up front?

Apps are no good for me- there are calculators more advanced than my phone, and George Foreman grills more sophisticated than my laptop.

You can get Sky Sports Centre in in a browser too; try this. Either that or get your old man to fund some technological upgrades for your Christmas ;)

The formation looked 4-2-3-1 to me, changing to 4-1-4-1 in the second with Gary Phillips moving from beside Ciaran to beside Chappy .

Parry

Reid

Dunlop M

Dunlop R

Turnbull

Donnelly

Phillips

McGuigan

Chaplain

McKenzie

Gemmell

You can get Sky Sports Centre in in a browser too; try this. Either that or get your old man to fund some technological upgrades for your Christmas ;)

He won't like you using the C word in early November!

Besides, we're doing a "Secret Santa" this year and I've already got my fingers crossed for Rovers Subbuteo, complete with marbles to stick under the pitch to replicate the bumps, and actual-size Marc McKenzie.

Apologies - I noticed Chaplain (No 10?) broke forward and supported Gemmell a lot which struck me as a 4-4-1-1. However on reflection AS has it right with 4-2-3-1.

Been largely trolling Clyde fans for a bit, suppose I should face up to our result...

Would rather have lost this one than the league game in a few weeks but it's still a sore one. Wisnae THAT much in it but Rovers more clinical when they had to be.

We've been doing well but probably a much needed reality check and reminder that we're a bit thin when the regulars start dropping out. Hoping Vinnie isn't out for too long. Him and Miller have been the basis of so much we've done well. Any change in there is going to rock the team a bit - we definitely felt it today.

Big Gemmell comes back to haunt us once again. The guy seems to be terrific or a moaning waste of space, but he was certainly the real difference between the teams on Saturday. He fouled his man before the first goal, as blatantly as you like, but got away with it. Them's the breaks.

We did well to get back into the game and could have snatched a draw, but we're just not creating enough good, clear-cut chances. As hard as McPherson works up front, he seems to be a bit isolated at times and maybe our game doesn't quite suit his game. Either we need to support him a bit more, or we try something else. I do like the look of Carter, a different type of player, and I would quite like to see him and Archie up front. We're relying on the midfield scoring for us a bit too much.

Not the end of the world that we lost, but of more concern was Viniesta going off particularly with a trip to Arbroath on Saturday.

He went back to heaven. He will one day return and judge humanity.

Wise words.

Apparently he isn't training with anyone and hasn't shaken off the injury that ended his season last year. With Berry getting carried off on Saturday, maybe the sky will lighten and wee Davie will float down on a moonbeam to Gayfield.

no7 should have had straight red for violent conduct.

Tbf, he wasn’t the only one from either side who was getting involved in a lot of daft shite. Must have been an awful game to ref with players constantly mouthin off and getting involved in stupid shoving matches with each other etc

I thought it was a fair result. We were better first half, Rovers far better in the second. As has been said. Berry going off made the difference for us...and Gemmell’s performance of course. I’ve always thought he was a big arsehole, even when he was at Queen’s, but he’s the sort of big arsehole I’d like up front again for us. When on form he’s probably the perfect striker for this level. Also have to say that Mick Dunlop is still a class act – on and off the park

Thanks to everyone in the St Andrew's bar on Saturday for their hospitality, especially the Rovers fans we were talking to after the game. They could have wound us up a lot more than they did.

P.S Davie Anderson not playing football at the moment is more to do with a private issue than his injury problem. He’s had a terrible time and I wish him well

Archived