Queens v Dumbarton

The Higgins foul was right in front of me and was appalling as I said at the time.

The only person with a better view than I had was the linesman.

What's the deal with the assistants at this level remaining largely anonymous? Is there a power trip thing were the referee will just ignore them anyway. Or are they just inept?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TOPFITTER

Excellent highlights. Clears a lot up.

The penalty is even clearer there. He pretty much bats the ball down!

The Baird chance as I said wasnt given offside. The assistant eventually gives a goal kick but he doesnt put his flag "up" for offside. And indeed Baird is clearly onside.

The foul on Higgins is every bit as bad as I thought at the time. Right over the ball and straight onto the ankle. I think he was very lucky not to get a straight red there.

Agreed Skyline, in this day and age under the current rules that is indeed a straight red !!! Lucky fellow to get a yellow.

The Higgins foul was right in front of me and was appalling as I said at the time.

The only person with a better view than I had was the linesman.

What's the deal with the assistants at this level remaining largely anonymous? Is there a power trip thing were the referee will just ignore them anyway. Or are they just inept?

Power trip headstrong referees think they know everything and make every decision informing the ass through the headsets, I have noticed quite a few wait for the referees decision even for every throw in.

How is that a stonewall penalty? :lol: The rule is deliberate handball if I'm not mistaken, there's no way that's deliberate, the player is less than a yard away and he flicks the ball up, how can Taggart get out the way of that? You can say his hand was in an unnatural position but the rule still states it must be deliberate i.e. the player must place his hands in an unnatural position to increase the chances of the ball hitting him. I don't think that's the case here, certainly not a stonewall penalty.

Fleming lucky to stay on, tackling is definitely not his strong point.

How is that a stonewall penalty? :lol: The rule is deliberate handball if I'm not mistaken, there's no way that's deliberate, the player is less than a yard away and he flicks the ball up, how can Taggart get out the way of that? You can say his hand was in an unnatural position but the rule still states it must be deliberate i.e. the player must place his hands in an unnatural position to increase the chances of the ball hitting him. I don't think that's the case here, certainly not a stonewall penalty.

Fleming lucky to stay on, tackling is definitely not his strong point.

You mean apart from the fact that he knocks the ball to the ground with his hand?

His hands are in an unnatural position, they then move towards the ball and then they block it. It's as clear a penalty as you are going to get for handball.

I think there's a stronger case for saying it denied a clear goalscoring opportunity than there is for saying it wasn't a penalty at all!

His hands are in an unnatural position, they then move towards the ball and then they block it. It's as clear a penalty as you are going to get for handball.

I think there's a stronger case for saying it denied a clear goalscoring opportunity than there is for saying it wasn't a penalty at all!

i think we have to agree to disagree...i dont think theres much he could have done to avoid the ball striking his hand, and the rules do state a penalty for a deliberate handball. Interestingly, he wasnt booked for the handball.......

Where would you expect them to be, behind his back?

i think we have to agree to disagree...i dont think theres much he could have done to avoid the ball striking his hand, and the rules do state a penalty for a deliberate handball. Interestingly, he wasnt booked for the handball.......

Nor did he complain about it ... at all.

Not much he could have done, apart from; not having his hands up in front of him in the first place, make some sort of attempt to get them out of the way when the ball was coming towards him, not move his hands towards the ball and then hitting it with both hands.

It was a penalty. Deal with it.

Not much he could have done, apart from; not having his hands up in front of him in the first place, make some sort of attempt to get them out of the way when the ball was coming towards him, not move his hands towards the ball and then hitting it with both hands.

It was a penalty. Deal with it.

See when footballers run and change direction, or sometimes when they get close to players from the other team, they'll use their arms to help them move/hold off players. Sometimes this means that their hands won't be directly down by their side, that doesn't make it unnatural. His hands were up aye and as I've said before it looks to me like he's trying to put his hands down by his side when the ball is flicked at him.

No ones denying Queens the result, merely suggesting that you're stonewall penalty might not have been as stonewall as first thought. This is a forum for discussion. Deal with it.

Its as relevant as whether or not he got booked.

You're ignoring the fact that under the current interpretations of the law referees are supposed to consider the proximity of the last person to play the ball. He was about what? 3 feet away if that. No way is he getting his arm out of the way in that fraction of a second after the ball changed direction.

I'm sorry but I fail to see how he has moved his hands towards the ball?

His hand are up at his chest and the ball is flicked onto them. It then bounces off the arms and away before he puts his arms down.

Flemings tackle was pretty shocking. Both players were very lucky. Fleming not to be red carded and the other lad not to be seriously injured.

Has anyone actually used the phrase "stonewall penalty"? I maybe just missed it. For what it's worth, I've said already I thought it was a penalty. His arms were up and reaching forward (for his opponent I think, not the ball, but he was asking for trouble). It's not a "stonewall" one though. I've seen more obvious deliberate blocks not given and I've seen less obvious ones given. We wouldn't be discussing it at all if it was stonewall. I think it's a penalty but I'm happy to concede that it's one of those you maybe get given half the time.

Has anyone actually used the phrase "stonewall penalty"? I maybe just missed it. For what it's worth, I've said already I thought it was a penalty. His arms were up and reaching forward (for his opponent I think, not the ball, but he was asking for trouble). It's not a "stonewall" one though. I've seen more obvious deliberate blocks not given and I've seen less obvious ones given. We wouldn't be discussing it at all if it was stonewall. I think it's a penalty but I'm happy to concede that it's one of those you maybe get given half the time.

Okay, Mr Pedantic, no one said the actual word stonewall however...

The penalty is even clearer there. He pretty much bats the ball down!

It's as clear a penalty as you are going to get for handball.

So a clear penalty, as clear as you'll get but not stonewall?

Archived