Good old Gordon McQueen

ClydeNewcomer

For me, whoever they've chosen to play for, that's up to them. It's disappointing that we could've had two good players in our squad instead of the oppositions, but booing them is hardly going to change anything. In fact, it could very well spur them on - I certainly would if I was in their position. A bigger GIRUY would be to not boo them, and instead go out and concentrate on getting our own team over the line and winning the game.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourite argument here is that English-born Scottish players are different "cos they aren't good enough to play for England".

That's principles there. Absolute morons.

Sure i read at the time of McCarthys debut that he would've chosen us if we had asked first. Sounds like Levein dropping the ball there.

I think when McCarthy didn't receive a call up to the full squad whilst in the womb, the snub made him choose Ireland.

We have only his mother to blame. According to the Hamilton fans.

By selecting to play for Ireland they must have known they could potentially put themselves in a situation where they could be competing against the country of their birth, upbringing, education and professional roots.

I don't spend much time concerning myself with either of them normally but in this case they are coming to Glasgow to try and eliminate Scotland from a World Cup.

Therefore they are opposition and they are not only opposition but traitor opposition and they can't expect anything but a proper grilling.

Give 'em hell, boys!

The main thing is that we win the game but if we can deliver some serious humble pie to these two (although I'm not sure of McCarthy's injury status) it would make it all the better.

My favourite argument here is that English-born Scottish players are different "cos they aren't good enough to play for England".

That's principles there. Absolute morons.

It's a perfectly legitimate argument, there's a considerable difference between choosing to play for another country before you've even had a chance to be picked for your country of birth and someone who may have represented their country of birth at youth level but when they're in their 20's, and deemed not good enough, they're offered a back door into full international football raising their sale value and increasing their wages in the process.

None of the English born players represented Scotland as teenagers. (Steven Fletcher excluded, but then he's spent more of his life in Scotland)

They are totally different choices.

By selecting to play for Ireland they must have known they could potentially put themselves in a situation where they could be competing against the country of their birth, upbringing, education and professional roots.

I don't spend much time concerning myself with either of them normally but in this case they are coming to Glasgow to try and eliminate Scotland from a World Cup.

Therefore they are opposition and they are not only opposition but traitor opposition and they can't expect anything but a proper grilling.

Give 'em hell, boys!

The main thing is that we win the game but if we can deliver some serious humble pie to these two (although I'm not sure of McCarthy's injury status) it would make it all the better.

Wrong tournament.

It's a perfectly legitimate argument, there's a considerable difference between choosing to play for another country before you've even had a chance to be picked for your country of birth and someone who may have represented their country of birth at youth level but when they're in their 20's, and deemed not good enough, they're offered a back door into full international football raising their sale value and increasing their wages in the process.

None of the English born players represented Scotland as teenagers. (Steven Fletcher excluded, but then he's spent more of his life in Scotland)

They are totally different choices.

McCall was a great example here. He would easily have made Englands team and was picked as a sub when young if I remember. He was told to warm up cause he was going on, and then he feigned an injury because he just couldn't do it..

Then changed alligience to Scotland...

It's a perfectly legitimate argument,

No it isnt.

Either it's wrong to choose to represent another nation than that which you have the most natural qualification for or it isn't.

I believe it isn't, and players should be perfectly entitled to represent whoever they qualify for, as they wish.

It's an absolutely bollocks argument to say "Player X is a traitor cos he's quite good but Palyer Y isnae cos he'd probably not get a game for the nation he has turned his back on".

Archived