Gretna....can anyone answer ?

markc

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

19Q0S19...great reply..thanks for that.

Forgive my ignorance ,you were speaking to him in hospital in what capacity ? Friend or professional ?*

I am starting to think Brooks paid out of his own pocket for the first 3 or 4 years but the last 2 years were via the bank overdraft and on credit with everybody.**

They were dead meat as a club BEFORE the SPL season.

Very sad tale.***

Sorry for the late reply:-

* It was technically in a professional capacity. I was a 'domestic assistant' at the time and started blethering to him whilst emptying the bin in his room!

** He definitely put his own money in. Crowds were below 1000 most of the time and they were paying big bucks. There's no way the money was coming purely from attendance money. He totally bankrolled them and it was always going to end in tears; even if the ride (from a QoS fan perspective) was completely infuriating!

*** Promotion was pleasingly the worst thing that could have happened to them. And when they had to play at Motherwell, you knew it was going to be embarrassingly low crowds. Folk only went to see them win, so they were never going to travel all that way to see them get beat! A happy tale at the end from my point of view. Genuine sympathy for those who were there before Mileson arrived, as they obviously had a genuine love for Gr£tna (and were likely the one's who did the travelling to Motherwell) but as for everyone and anyone else associated with the club, it's a great big GIRFUY from me, and a great big GIRFUY from probably every other QoS fan!

19QOS19..

Thanks again....so going back to your chat with him....do you think he started disrupting things in the Div 1 season , to try and stop promotion.

They were leading the way but started to break the team up...Wadsworth came in and seemed to cause bother and Alexander ended up out on his ear (frustratingly i cannot find out why)...i have a theory that Mileson was trying to stop the charge to the SPL as he could see disaster ahead ?

19QOS19..

Thanks again....so going back to your chat with him....do you think he started disrupting things in the Div 1 season , to try and stop promotion.

They were leading the way but started to break the team up...Wadsworth came in and seemed to cause bother and Alexander ended up out on his ear (frustratingly i cannot find out why)...i have a theory that Mileson was trying to stop the charge to the SPL as he could see disaster ahead ?

I honestly don't know and wouldn't even want to guess at a theory. But from my time speaking with him it was pretty clear he didn't want the club promoted, which was something unusual considering it was only ever positive ambition that came from the guy. As I say, I don't want to guess about things I don't know, but if someone in the know was to announce that Mileson tried to 'sabotage' Gr£tna's promotion chances to the top flight that year I really wouldn't be shocked, considering that IMO he really didn't want them going up; for whatever reason that may have been.

Archived