£4K for a car

chimneyman

I've had a few Alfas. Love all the wee touches of Italian flair. The 'Benzina' and 'Acqua' dials. Decent 'Blue & me' phone integration with the Mito. A3 the best quality interior but dull to drive.

I've got a 1 series just now - with 320hp! Ideal for the snow.

My first car was a Lancia - go Italian and get hooked on nice cars. I've had 2 audis - nice but dull, plus lots of electrical niggles on older ones. Plenty of time to get old and get an a3.

Agreed, they're beautiful cars. Also, it wouldn't look totally ridiculous sitting beside the girlfriend's Aston :thumsup2

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't read the whole thread but my advice after a lot of experience is buy private. Auto trader, pistonheads, eBay etc. The public are more honest than any dealer. You can ask as many questions without feeling pressured. The cars will be cheaper aswell.

Haven't read the whole thread but my advice after a lot of experience is buy private. Auto trader, pistonheads, eBay etc. The public are more honest than any dealer. You can ask as many questions without feeling pressured. The cars will be cheaper aswell.

I would prefer a private buy, and that's the way I'm hoping to go. Thanks for the advice!

Im Selling Wifes Corsa 1.3 " Design" Diesel if interested for 2495 but happy to come n go on asking price

Pm if interested

Would be interested, but possibly not in a diesel, as I'll be using the car mostly for commuting and my current commute is about 2 miles. I gather diesels aren't really suitable for this sort of mileage. Most other journeys would be 5-6 miles each way with the occasional 20-30 miles trip thrown in.

Yep - I failed.

Was actually feeling quite confident, did the reverse round the corner no bother and had it in my mind that I was going to pass. Then examiner had to step on the brakes when I completely ignored a STOP sign at a junction.

Got 7 or so minors, and would have passed except for one stupid loss of concentration.

Rebooked for January 5th!

Anyway, what do folk thing of this?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412019372177/sort/default/page/1/model/mito/usedcars/price-to/4500/postcode/g671af/radius/30/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/alfa_romeo?logcode=p

I can't believe you would get insurance for under £1000 for that car even with Telematics and being 40 year old. Under 25 and you probably wouldn't be able to insure it at all.

With 0 years no claims and someone with a brand new license insurance is horrendous but I see you think you'll get insured for £500/600?

I can't believe you would get insurance for under £1000 for that car even with Telematics and being 40 year old. Under 25 and you probably wouldn't be able to insure it at all.

With 0 years no claims and someone with a brand new license insurance is horrendous but I see you think you'll get insured for £500/600?

£463.43 through Tesco. I'm mid 30s.

Next quote is just over £700, so obviously Tesco pricing a lot keener than everyone else.

Quote through confused.com

£463.43 through Tesco. I'm mid 30s.

Next quote is just over £700, so obviously Tesco pricing a lot keener than everyone else.

Quote through confused.com

Fair play if that is what you are going to pay.

I've just tried it and got a quote on Confused with that car for £1265.64 which was insurance starting tomorrow with a full license for one month. That was the cheapest.

Maybe you live in a much cheaper postcode.

Lot of good advice on here. I never buy cars from dealers always private sales. If you don't know much about cars though take someone that does with you. Also they won't view the car with "buyers eyes" in that they will see the issues whereas if you are smitten you probably

won't. With your predicated mileage, a diesel probably doesn't make sense.

In terms of reliability VW/Audi group including Seat and Skoda are all pretty sound. Also most Japanese are reliable.

The problem is a lot of the small Japanese cars are maybe a bit Mumsnet for your taste.

Given your low mileage I would second the view another poster gave in terms of considering a new VW Up, Skoda Citigo or Seat Mi

For a used car, the Seat Leon is a fine car.

The Suzuki Swift is also decent.

Not at all - I'm open to just about anything. It's only really because my budget has increased a little that I'm broadening my search. I quite fancy a Picanto or a Honda Jazz. The Swift is ok - I seen one in blue but wasn't taken by the colour.

Ideally I'd buy something 3-4 years old with around 30K on the clock. And at that'll price the most popular cars are the Chevrolet Spark which I quite like, and the Panda, which I would also consider.

That is an excellent price.

Same details where I live and the cheapest quote is with Swiftcover (?) for £1,143.98.

Just shows how much your insurance is affected by your postcode!

I don't know - it's quite bizarre there's such a large discrepancy in price.

I've quoted dozens of cars and they all come in at around £500. Even the quote for my girlfriends Aston Martin Vantage was a bit less than your quote for the Alfa!

Archived