£4K for a car

chimneyman

No one's mentioned Skodas, but for build quality they're the best value for money out there. I'd imagine you could get a fairly revent Fabia for 4k.

Jeezo, what a tedious post. I feel bad for mself and everyone reading it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully I'm going to pass my driving test tomorrow, and go car shopping at the weekend!

I've got £4K cash to spend as well as some money put aside for servicing and insurance.

Arnold Clark are doing £300 off any used car, on top of any other negotiated discount, so I'm hopefully I'll be able to know at least £500 off the price of any used car. I know they've probably increased each car by £300 in recent weeks, but that's another issue!

So, I'm looking for some recommendations, as I really don't have much of a clue. I want something small, cheap to run and insure, something like a Yaris, 207, Twingo, maybe a Clio. I also like the old style Megane, with the angled back end.

I want a car to last 2 year without giving me any major repair headaches, and am happy to sacrifice looks and performance for something that's going to last.

Any of you fine chaps make any recommendations?? Would also be awesome if you could advise of any big potential repair costs that would be required on the models I've mentioned. I'm primarily looking at 2006-2008 models.

Any links to cars on the AC site would be brilliant.

Thanks all!

You could get a brand new decent little thing like this:Seat Mii

Put in a tiny deposit and it would be about £120 per month on a PCP deal with 0% interest, including servicing. Leave the money in an account and set up a DD to cover it. Getting the credit isn't usually too hard through a main dealer. No nasty unexpected repair bills etc. The latest models with bluetooth streaming etc, better efficiency, safer make anything older than a few years old feel a bit outdated.

Look after it and in three years there should be enough equity in the car to trade it in against something else.

My auld da used to have a panda for a bit until I snapped the rear axle 24 hours after passing my driving test.

Happy days.

My mum had it in her head that I had a knackered old thing when I drove down there and nearly shit herself until she saw that, actually, they're not built like the one my cousin had in the 80s anymore. They're not the most attractive of cars, granted, and they're not the fastest of cars around but mine was £2.8k for a 2008 model with 27k miles on it and cost £650 to insure for the year. The added bonus is that my in-laws bought me it! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Take it you failed the test?

Yep - I failed.

Was actually feeling quite confident, did the reverse round the corner no bother and had it in my mind that I was going to pass. Then examiner had to step on the brakes when I completely ignored a STOP sign at a junction.

Got 7 or so minors, and would have passed except for one stupid loss of concentration.

Rebooked for January 5th!

Anyway, what do folk thing of this?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412019372177/sort/default/page/1/model/mito/usedcars/price-to/4500/postcode/g671af/radius/30/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/alfa_romeo?logcode=p

Yep - I failed.

Was actually feeling quite confident, did the reverse round the corner no bother and had it in my mind that I was going to pass. Then examiner had to step on the brakes when I completely ignored a STOP sign at a junction.

Got 7 or so minors, and would have passed except for one stupid loss of concentration.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412019372177/sort/default/page/1/model/mito/usedcars/price-to/4500/postcode/g671af/radius/30/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/alfa_romeo?logcode=p

I'd go for a Honda Jazz, honda is the most reliable car maker and has been voted so for the past 7 years on the trot by What Car.

Yep - I failed.

I've had a few Alfas. Love all the wee touches of Italian flair. The 'Benzina' and 'Acqua' dials. Decent 'Blue & me' phone integration with the Mito. A3 the best quality interior but dull to drive.

I've got a 1 series just now - with 320hp! Ideal for the snow.

My first car was a Lancia - go Italian and get hooked on nice cars. I've had 2 audis - nice but dull, plus lots of electrical niggles on older ones. Plenty of time to get old and get an a3.

Archived