Spartans v Berwick

Yellow Feet

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest, what do you expect the SC or the ST to do?

Ask questions about the continuing on-field failure of Berwick Rangers FC.

The Trust snd Supporters club are largely fundraising extensions of the football club, independent in name only. That does'nt mean they're not doing good work - they are - but I have absolutely no sense at all that there is a willingness to ask difficult or challenging questions. You might have gone to the Q&As with the manager recently - you'll know better than me whether he was challenged about team performance and whether the chairman suggested at the start that questions be positive rather than challenging.

The team have been marooned in mid-table for seven years, including what, one play-off place during that period?. The manager with the (allegedly) biggest wage budget in modern times leads a team stuck in 5th place, with only the hope of 4th place to sustain us, on the back of a lamentably bad 2nd half performance v a non-league side in Saturday's cup tie. That is the tail-end of a long-term picture of stagnation. I think it is reasonable to expect supporters organisations to be challenging that in the best interests of their members.

All good points Razor however you are giving Spartans more praise than they deserve, Berwick didn't play well 2nd half but it was a good 60 minutes before the Non Leaguers created a decent chance on goal. Berwick sat too deep true but we were a minute away from going through. Henderson missed a sitter and Lavery could and should have killed the game when one on one with the keeper.

I think it's reasonable to expect the supporters organisations to be a bit more vocal about sustained failure. Not ranting like I do on here, but certainly reflecting the feelings of their members.

Also, the Trust - with it's board rep - should be informing it's members about Cameron's new contract. Was it unanimous? Did anyone question it? Has he taken a pay cut/increase? What's his grand plan for the future that persuaded the board to ask for his signature? We still talk of 4th place, but a couple of defeats on the bounce and we could yet be talking about 10th.

At the moment, the same half dozen people have their say on here and can easily be dismissed as whingers. That's specifically why supporters organisations need to be more vocal on our behalf. In a more diplomatic way, of course.

Meanwhile, back at the match, I invite you to watch the BBC highlights, and freeze frame it just before their equalizer. Can anyone tell me how the 3 Berwick players on the left thought they might get defensively involved for a right wing cross in injury time? Jeez....

Meanwhile, back at the match, I invite you to watch the BBC highlights, and freeze frame it just before their equalizer. Can anyone tell me how the 3 Berwick players on the left thought they might get defensively involved for a right wing cross in injury time? Jeez....

Might just be me and my usual moaning but after Lavery missed the one on one, Willis made a shit effort to get the second ball. Thats the story of our whole game on Saturday but that particular one could've created a penalty.

I can only go on what I've witnessed in my short time on the SC, along with others who can be vocal on here like BTU. I'm pretty confident that we can get our views through to the board, through the SC as there are 3 directors at our meetings and we get a directors report at each of them. It's maybe a fault of the SC, me included, that we don't look to get more opinions from members to forward on at meetings, but then again there's been little concern raised through our Facebook or Twitter pages.

Cameron getting a new contract was raised in the directors report last Tuesday, but nobody at the meeting questioned it. I didn't personally because I can't say the decision concerned me too much and I still prefer to see him as manager. I've only been on it for 6 months or so tbf. I do know however, that when I was greetin on about Yano last season and wrote that blog thing, it was brought up at the board through the SC, and that the SC board members agreed with the decision to sack him. Again, maybe that's a fault of the SC in the past in that they didn't communicate much of this. You're never going to hear about everything that happens in a board meeting though.

There were a few difficult questions at the talk in which Cameron and Horn handled well. I didn't agree with the chairmans 'warning' to fans before it all kicked off, and raised this at the following SC meeting which was minuted. I can only speak for myself. BTU or whoever may come along and say differently, but I don't get a feeling that fans views aren't represented on the board.

I can only go on what I've witnessed in my short time on the SC, along with others who can be vocal on here like BTU. I'm pretty confident that we can get our views through to the board, through the SC as there are 3 directors at our meetings and we get a directors report at each of them. It's maybe a fault of the SC, me included, that we don't look to get more opinions from members to forward on at meetings, but then again there's been little concern raised through our Facebook or Twitter pages.

Cameron getting a new contract was raised in the directors report last Tuesday, but nobody at the meeting questioned it. I didn't personally because I can't say the decision concerned me too much and I still prefer to see him as manager. I've only been on it for 6 months or so tbf. I do know however, that when I was greetin on about Yano last season and wrote that blog thing, it was brought up at the board through the SC, and that the SC board members agreed with the decision to sack him. Again, maybe that's a fault of the SC in the past in that they didn't communicate much of this. You're never going to hear about everything that happens in a board meeting though.

There were a few difficult questions at the talk in which Cameron and Horn handled well. I didn't agree with the chairmans 'warning' to fans before it all kicked off, and raised this at the following SC meeting which was minuted. I can only speak for myself. BTU or whoever may come along and say differently, but I don't get a feeling that fans views aren't represented on the board.

Cheers Brian. Had'nt realised you and BTU were on the SC club cttee, so it's good there's been a refresh there. I've done my time both on the SC and Trust, and took the view a long time ago that I'd got fed up of turning up at talk-ins and asking awkward questions because you could see people rolling their eyes and thinking "aw no, here goes that moaning, cantankerous c**t again". Which was probably fair enough.

It's actually a pleasure- and i use that term advisedly - just to go to games now and not have to think about writing match reports or going to meetings. But....I guess that supporters need an outlet for communicating or expressing their concerns, and outside the SC, Trust and talk-in forums there are'nt many obvious choices. My experience of talk-ins is that they are tame and most people, for understandable reasons, are loath to put their head above the parapet. The SC committee and the Trust board both have the capability to challenge - and I'm talking here about the decision to extend the managers' contract when Jimmy Crease and Ian Little were ousted for arguably better performances. I don't know any Berwick supporter who isn't disappointed at the team's efforts this season. And I think it's incumbent upon all of us as supporters to challenge the board why the team is showing no meaningful improvement after 7 years. i can live with a period of stabilisation after the Wilson regime - absolutely - but we should be seeing progress now and the fact is that we're not.

All good points Razor however you are giving Spartans more praise than they deserve, Berwick didn't play well 2nd half but it was a good 60 minutes before the Non Leaguers created a decent chance on goal. Berwick sat too deep true but we were a minute away from going through. Henderson missed a sitter and Lavery could and should have killed the game when one on one with the keeper.

Dougster, we might not have created a decent chance in the 1st hour but besides that 1 deflected goal we contained you for the most part, in the final 1/2 hour we stepped up a gear & more than matched youse & had we scored 5 minutes earlier we'd be planning our jolly day out to Easter Road now.

Still can't complain, as wee under dogs we get the chance for a day trip to England to sample some fine ales & foreign delicacies, lock up your daughters we are invading! :lol:

I've booked a 1/2 day off work, so I'll be in the vanguard party.

Grimbo

P.s. do you accept our money down there? ;)

Dougster, we might not have created a decent chance in the 1st hour but besides that 1 deflected goal we contained you for the most part, in the final 1/2 hour we stepped up a gear & more than matched youse & had we scored 5 minutes earlier we'd be planning our jolly day out to Easter Road now.

Still can't complain, as wee under dogs we get the chance for a day trip to England to sample some fine ales & foreign delicacies, lock up your daughters we are invading! :lol:

I've booked a 1/2 day off work, so I'll be in the vanguard party.

Grimbo

P.s. do you accept our money down there? ;)

I was politely informed 'youse' are a gentleman's club on Saturday so i expect nothing but the best of behaviour as you sample the delights of Berwick Upon Tweed. Fine Ales can be found in our Micro boozer The Curfew on Bridge Street or nearer the ground The Angel. Please leave before midnight as any Scotsman caught within the Berwick walls after that time can legally be shot - but only with a bow and arrow

Fine Ales can be found in our Micro boozer The Curfew on Bridge Street or nearer the ground The Angel.

Doug, you may have just got barred out of the Curfew....

Doubtless Razor will be in touch!

Doug, you may have just got barred out of the Curfew....

Doubtless Razor will be in touch!

The Angel, does it do food as well, some of the lightweights are asking about eating "cos we're coming straight from work".

Grimbo

Archived