Spartans v Berwick

Yellow Feet

Can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something quite self-righteous about Spartans. The Twitter feed is beyond annoying for a start, but there's some quite insidious about them as an organisation.

they're arrogant up tha ain arse bigheeded c***s, but they're the yardstick for non league football, they're ambitious and they don't give a f**k who they offend. Good on them

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty dire game all things considered. Felt as if Berwick were far too narrow in the second half when Spartans were pressurising and couldn't even muster a counter attack and Spartans more than deserved their equaliser and if they scored five minutes earlier they'd have got the winner. Berwick should have been 2-0 up when one of them was one-on-one for the only time, but played it right to the outstretched keeper. Above or below, that was a goal.

Stood beside legendary goalkeeper Gary O'Conner during the game.

Pretty dire game all things considered. Felt as if Berwick were far too narrow in the second half when Spartans were pressurising and couldn't even muster a counter attack and Spartans more than deserved their equaliser and if they scored five minutes earlier they'd have got the winner. Berwick should have been 2-0 up when one of them was one-on-one for the only time, but played it right to the outstretched keeper. Above or below, that was a goal.

Stood beside legendary goalkeeper Gary O'Coenner during the game.

Gary's still and always will be a legend, hope he remembers the last game of the season in the 90s away tae alloa 1-0

The F stands for foul and abusive language, and it was an anti F flag.

This was us showing our disgust at the words your children were using. Shocking, although not surprising.

Never mind, at the usual Lowland League games, those prole kids are usually still in their scheme. Probably sniffin glue or joyriding or something instead of annoying Berwick fans dressed as Village People.

Agree with some though, the atmosphere wasn't anything special. Most of the crowd obviously don't go to most league games and it seems as if the wider community came out - kids in the Spartans' wee teams bringing their mates and families.

Hungover to feck.

Cameron must go.

Another gutless performance.

Yet fans continue to back him??

Ist it Cameron fault or certain players that think they should be playing in a higher division and Ca'nae be arsed?

Wasn't a brilliant game but there was always an air of excitement because of the possibility of an upset. Great to see a decent sized crowd show up although I expected a bigger away support, I believe Arbroath had over 700 fans across the city at Easter Road.

I quite liked the set-up with kids having an area set aside to play fitba during the main event. Bizarrely there were home fans openly drinking bottles of beer with the polis apparently not bothered in the slightest. Not sure if this is a good idea...

Can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something quite self-righteous about Spartans. The Twitter feed is beyond annoying for a start, but there's some quite insidious about them as an organisation.

There are times they resemble a loony cult, granted, part of that a throwback from the days when they were run by nutters obsessed with joining the SFL at any price. A lot of it is also part & parcel of the rigours of a set up intended to produce the next generation of footballers, so everything's all about Positive Mental Attitude & being proud to be a part of the club. They are no worse nowadays that Auchinleck Talbot or Clydebank for hyperbole (although the latter are not so much as the wheels have started falling off their wagon), and with younger fans you have to bullsh*t the club to the skies to keep the enthusiasm alive.

But part of it is also an adverse reaction to the "know your place" mentality which is the bane of especially the lower end of Scottish football, where every club is meant to be simply just someone's "wee team" for an Old Firm fan. Gretna's fans pissed a lot off in their earlier years because as outsiders to the Scottish set up coming in they couldn't understand the manner in which so many in other clubs' greatest ambition was merely drawing their favourite half of Glasgow's Ugly Sisters in the cup, rather than actually winning it. In England, even the lowliest side dreams that maybe by some miracle it could be their year (Rochdale and Bradford reached League Cup finals in the fourth tier, and both QPR and Swindon won it in the third tier).

If there was ever a place where the "Scottish cringe" has left so indelible a stain, it is in club football - and a big part of "The Spartans Way" is making sure that nonsense is drilled out of the kids coming through their gates to increase their chances of keeping them still loyal to the club when they've grown up, even if at times it's a touch OTT. Maybe that's right, maybe that's wrong.

I quite like their attitude tbh. No problem with kids winding people up either. Just let them enjoy their day an give them a bit back.

As much as Spartans come across quite arrogant and in your face, we should be determined to put them back in the place and use that as motivation, like we did with Arbroath when we won the league. That looked like it was going to happen in the first 45, but the second half was about as bad as I've seen this season. Really poor. Jacobs had another stinker and the midfield were shocking. Dropped further and further back inviting pressure and when they tried to hit Spartans on the break it was embarrassing.

And as said previously, really disappointing reaction at the end from most of the players. They've got off lightly for their level of performance for the majority of this season and should be appreciative of yesterday's support.

Hopefully we have too much for them in the replay, but we're gonna have to move up a few gears from yesterday.

I must have been photographing a different game. "A gentleman's club', as it was described to me, Spartans were nearly blown away in the first 30 mins registering one side footed effort on target the whole of the first half. The second half they had more of the play but it wasn't until the introduction of the 2nd sub around 60mins in that they finally had a good effort in on goal. If Berwick were guilty of anything it was letting the nerves show the last 15mins or so and fair play to Spartans for nicking an equaliser but to say they played well is ridiculous. They looked like they could have played until Tuesday and not scored. We had two excellent opportunities through Henderson and Lavery to put the 'Gentlemen' to bed long before then.

In fairness, Berwick were on a hiding to nothing, if they won it was expected, if they lost it was a cup shock. We have another opportunity to go through a week on Tuesday, let's get behind the team and fingers crossed for a jackpot draw on Monday.

Finally a big thank you to all at Spartans for the excellent hospitality, a huge big effort by all the volunteers. You will be most welcome to attend Shielfield for the replay just don't bring the drummers

Sobered up but stand by much of my earlier rant

Should still win this tie, but I hope the boss and the players sit down and have a good talk about what allows us to be outplayed - especially in terms of effort - by a poor Spartans side.

And by the way, can I have half my money back? The entire game was played in one half of the pitch. The far end too.

Spartans celebrating like they won the tie....will be a tight game next Tuesday......will be interesting to see who they are drawn against.....could increase nerves!

The Rev IM Jolly steps in with some dour Presbyterianism. Or Alan Stubbs dourly chastising the Hearts' fans for celebrating their last minture equaliser at ER.

A non-league team salvages a chance to make it to the QFs and they celebrate?

It can't be televised on Tuesday 17th as it's a Champions League night. Same situation with Wednesday 18th.

TV companies aren't obliged to use their replay rights, infact they rarely seem to do so. Would be a nice earner for both teams if BBC or Sky did want it.

It can't be televised on Tuesday 17th as it's a Champions League night. Same situation with Wednesday 18th.

TV companies aren't obliged to use their replay rights, infact they rarely seem to do so. Would be a nice earner for both teams if BBC or Sky did want it.

Alba? or is Berwick too far south?

Good things from Saturday - pleasant change playing in front of a near-full house for once; Bald and Young were excellent. Good away support of around 500 (I see some criticism of that and that Arbroath had 700 at Easter Road - Aye, maybe, but Arbroath has a population twice that of Berwick, and they're good, whereas we're riding the downside of 7 years of mind-numbing mediocrity).

The Bad: after getting off to a flier with Paul Willis's 4th minute opener and quickly taking control of the match, we inexplicably let Spartans back into it. Pumping long balls up to Henderson who clearly prefers the ball in to feet was especially brainless, but the way we stood off and ceded space to Spartans in the second half was farcical. I'm pretty confident that the manager did'nt use the half-time beak to tell his players to go out and play like a bunch of fannies, but that's what they did. I am still absolutely baffled by the decision to extend Colin Cameron's contract, and for a board with a deserved reputation for fiscal and administrative competence, the decision looks increasingly reckless and i remain absolutely unconvinced that it was a unanimous decision, but that's an argument for another day. As Strak pointed out earlier, the players are responsible for their own performances on the park. All but a handful failed to deliver on Saturday

Once again regular supporters find themselves frustrated that the team let them down in front of a big travelling support. This was a chance to make some new converts and once again the team blew it. With about 10 minutes to go my missus turned to me and said "Do you seriously watch this every week?". If that isn't a damning indictment of Berwick Rangers this season, I don't know what is. At the final whistle on Saturday there was a palpable sense that Berwick Rangers supporters are becoming increasingly disenchanted with what's going on on the park. People should be demanding an improvement - and that's where the Supporters Trust and Club need to start earning their stripes.

None of which should detract from Spartans' performance. After giving a decent impression of cannon fodder during the opening half hour, the penny dropped that we were shite and they bossed the second period, showing impressive fitness and discipline. Thought their number 5 was oustanding and scorer McKinnon (& Douglas) looked decent too.

Archived