Advice on Recovering data of a Hard Drive

GalaKev

After an easy way, rather than paying someone to recover, spreadsheets, word docs, etc of a laptop.

I had been to clients and on the way out I dropped my laptop down a concrete flight of steps. The laptop is damaged beyond repair, with severe damage to the case. However the laptop tries to fire up, but does not get anywhere and turns itself off after about 5 minutes. So it seems like the drop has created an electrical fault, but I do hear the hard drive spinning.

So I am expecting a replacement in the next day or so.

Can someone explain including equipment I might need, how to try and get those files of my hard drive. I do have an old desktop as well, if it would be easier to use that.

Thanks in advance.

It depends what sort of hard drive it is.

Google the tech specs of your machine, find out the drive type and then buy a docking station or converter for it and plug it into another machine.

Or

Find the drive type and then take another laptop that uses that type apart and swap the drives over.

I got a USB case for the hard drive from Amazon for a tenner that turned it into an external hard drive. Was able to take all my files from it and put it on my new laptop. I then formatted the hard drive and now have it as a bog standard external hard drive.

I got a USB case for the hard drive from Amazon for a tenner that turned it into an external hard drive. Was able to take all my files from it and put it on my new laptop. I then formatted the hard drive and now have it as a bog standard external hard drive.

^ ^ ^

Best solution right there. :)

Thanks Gents

I will do as suggested with the USB case, I will look into it tomorrow, as just back from pub and will probably order totally wrong thing.

I will let you know I get on.

you're doing it all wrong, just back in from the pub is the BEST time to order shit online, as its fun when the stuff arrives and you havent a fucking clue what it is

i bought the full harchester united kit once when i was absolutely rocking after a night out, dream team was in its prime and i bought the full kit, not just the top, shorts socks everything

full kit w****r i am not, so the socks and shorts never came out the packaging lol

Archived