Cold water Fish Help?

Greenlantern

Got the wee man a 'My 1st Aquarium starter tank' for Christmas. It's only 12ltr (31.5 x 18.5 x 13cm).

I'm planning on getting him a hardy type cold water fish to start off with, possibly Bloodfin Tetra.

I'm no fish expert and was wondering if the good people of P&B had any experience of cold water fish that would be a good idea to start off with, considering the size of the tank etc.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know but the wee fella is only 19months old and is fascinated by fish, penguins and giraffes.... so I took the easy option.

So, cold water fish it is.

I want to avoid Goldfish if possible, what alternatives do I have??

Big goldfish

I know but the wee fella is only 19months old and is fascinated by fish, penguins and giraffes.... so I took the easy option.

So, cold water fish it is.

I want to avoid Goldfish if possible, what alternatives do I have??

Why didn't you get him a giraffe or a penguin. There is a poster on here works at the zoo, killing the sick penguins. He could get you one.

Maybe look into getting tropical fish i don't think they're too hard to cater for

I was thinking about tropical fish, but with the them being kept in the kitchen it can get quite cold. I'm not buying a heater for a 12ltr aquarium.

Start off small and if all goes well I'll look at buying something bigger.

If you're going for Bloodfin Tetra have at least 6 of them in the tank, and the more the better.They like to school together. Potential tank mates? Well, for a start, don't go near any aggressive fish. I'd look for bottom feeders as they do their bit in cleaning the tank.

If you're going for Bloodfin Tetra have at least 6 of them in the tank, and the more the better.They like to school together. Potential tank mates? Well, for a start, don't go near any aggressive fish. I'd look for bottom feeders as they do their bit in cleaning the tank.

Cheers bud, good advice. Think am gonna get 4 Zebra Danio and a shrimp to help with the cleaning.

I've been advised not to put anymore than four temperate in a 12ltr aquarium, not sure if I could squeeze in another two or not?

Got the wee man a 'My 1st Aquarium starter tank' for Christmas. It's only 12ltr (31.5 x 18.5 x 13cm).

I'm planning on getting him a hardy type cold water fish to start off with, possibly Bloodfin Tetra.

I'm no fish expert and was wondering if the good people of P&B had any experience of cold water fish that would be a good idea to start off with, considering the size of the tank etc.

Black Moor Goldfish. Utterly gorgeous, Hardy, long lived and brilliant to watch.

EdgarusQPFC, on 13 Dec 2014 - 17:34, said:

Black Moor Goldfish. Utterly gorgeous, Hardy, long lived and brilliant to watch.

Agree, but wouldn't have them near a tank that small.

Don't buy the fish from the same place that sold you a 7-litre tank and told you it was a 12-litre tank.

As I say, get small fish as possible as the tank isn't the biggest and a couple of bottom feeders. They likely won't live that long and tetras do tend to just magically disappear as well.

Would really recommend tropical once you've figured out what you're doing and that because they're much more fun.

Archived