Cold water Fish Help?

Greenlantern

As I say, get small fish as possible as the tank isn't the biggest and a couple of bottom feeders. They likely won't live that long and tetras do tend to just magically disappear as well.

Would really recommend tropical once you've figured out what you're doing and that because they're much more fun.

Aye cheers, that's the plan. I'm actually quite looking forward to it. I know my son will be chuffed.

I'm going to set it all up before hand, let the water settle etc. then find a way to sneak the fish home and safely in the aquarium for Christmas Day.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Careful you don't end up with a load of dead fish by hogmanay! Ideally you want to have the tank fully cycled so that your levels are correct otherwise the fish waste in a new tank can become toxic very quickly. Start off with a couple of hardy fish and dont add anymore for around 5 or 6 weeks so that the tank has stabilised. Will be nothing worse if the fish go belly up for the wee man, will put him right off his new hobby.

As others have said, go tropical, much more variety of fish and just as easy to keep. Small heaters are inexpensive.

Careful you don't end up with a load of dead fish by hogmanay! Ideally you want to have the tank fully cycled so that your levels are correct otherwise the fish waste in a new tank can become toxic very quickly. Start off with a couple of hardy fish and dont add anymore for around 5 or 6 weeks so that the tank has stabilised. Will be nothing worse if the fish go belly up for the wee man, will put him right off his new hobby.

As others have said, go tropical, much more variety of fish and just as easy to keep. Small heaters are inexpensive.

Much appreciated! When you say have the tank fully cycled, do you mean before I clean it and replace 20% of the tank water?

After filling the tank and adding the required tap safe liquid etc I'm looking at waiting 3 or so days then adding four Zebra Danios, then after about 6-8 weeks adding a bottom feeder shrimp.

Does that sound about right?

Ideal, they are tough little guys, I've put them in a fresh tank before and they showed no signs of distress.

On initial start up i do a 20% water change every week then extend that to every 2 weeks after 4 weeks then every month after that do a main water change and clean any ornaments.

During this period the 'good' bacteria is multiplying and lives amongst the gravel and ornaments etc rather than the water itself. Without this bacteria breaking down fish and food waste the water becomes toxic pretty quick.

Get on ebay and buy aquarium test strips, these are quick tests to determine all the levels within the tank and give instructions on making any adjustments if required.

Sounds a bit of a hassle at start up but after that initial 6 week period and you follow a water change routine the tank will run itself afterwards with minimal effort from yourself.

In saying all that, I'm no expert and no doubt other aquarium owners will have their own views although I've kept tropical fish for years and had no issues with most of my fish living their natural lives with excepton to a few little guys taken down by a territorial shark.

Ideal, they are tough little guys, I've put them in a fresh tank before and they showed no signs of distress.

On initial start up i do a 20% water change every week then extend that to every 2 weeks after 4 weeks then every month after that do a main water change and clean any ornaments.

During this period the 'good' bacteria is multiplying and lives amongst the gravel and ornaments etc rather than the water itself. Without this bacteria breaking down fish and food waste the water becomes toxic pretty quick.

Get on ebay and buy aquarium test strips, these are quick tests to determine all the levels within the tank and give instructions on making any adjustments if required.

Sounds a bit of a hassle at start up but after that initial 6 week period and you follow a water change routine the tank will run itself afterwards with minimal effort from yourself.

In saying all that, I'm no expert and no doubt other aquarium owners will have their own views although I've kept tropical fish for years and had no issues with most of my fish living their natural lives with excepton to a few little guys taken down by a territorial shark.

Sound advice, cheers. I'll look at getting some of those test strips, never thought of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for all the advice.

Just been and got four fish. Two Zebra, a spotted and a gold Danios. A few wee ornaments and a glow in the dark aqua plant.

The wee man will be well chuffed. Named them all after reindeers.

Merry Christmas.

Let us know how long they last.

Don't over feed them, this is a common mistake for new fish owners. About a handful of fish flakes a day should be enough.

He must be under feeding them, they just fucking ate one of their pals. Anyway why not get a couple of trout, you can eat them after a wee while?

He must be under feeding them, they just fucking ate one of their pals. Anyway why not get a couple of trout, you can eat them after a wee while?

That's what I was thinking Sarge. They'd only just been fed half an hour before I bought them last night.

Been looking around the Internet and apparently they're opportunistic feeders and will scoff the week and diseased fish.

There is one Zebra that looks very territorial and seems to be harassing the others.

Might need to add another two to the tank for some equilibrium.

Poor wee fish. RIP :(

This is madness!! It's blatant colour discrimination. Fascinating to watch, but I feel for the weakling of the pack.

They all seem to be fighting like fuk. I replaced the leopard Danio with another gold Danio today. So we now have 2 Zebra & 2 Gold (RIP leopard Vixen :( )

The Zebra's are the big bullies, but the new Gold one is even having a go at the smaller Gold yin.

I have a feeling I'll wake up to 3 again tomorrow.

If this carries on, I'm guessing all 4 Zebra's might be a better idea then mixing.

Archived