Food You Don't See Anyomore

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to say Vesta ready meals, but they seem to have made a bit of a comeback, mainly in pound shops. Creamola Foam is available again as well - for me they haven’t got the recipe quite right, although I could be talking shite because it’s been so long since the real thing was around.

One I had a hankering for a while ago was a tin of London Grill, which was a kind of proto-all day breakfast thing Heinz used to do. Had a look for it in our local supermarket – no joy. Turns out they discontinued it at the arse end of the 90s.

I was going to say Vesta ready meals, but they seem to have made a bit of a comeback, mainly in pound shops. Creamola Foam is available again as well - for me they haven’t got the recipe quite right, although I could be talking shite because it’s been so long since the real thing was around.

One I had a hankering for a while ago was a tin of London Grill, which was a kind of proto-all day breakfast thing Heinz used to do. Had a look for it in our local supermarket – no joy. Turns out they discontinued it at the arse end of the 90s.

I had something like that from Heinz the other week. Is it like a tin with beans meatballs, sausage, egg etc...?

I had something like that from Heinz the other week. Is it like a tin with beans meatballs, sausage, egg etc...?

It was similar to the all day breakfasts you get now, but had sausages, bacon strips, mushrooms and weirdly, bits of diced kidney..no egg-filled thing or meatballs. Found this post on another forum which sums it up better than I can:

Crosse & Blackwell's London Grill.

A tin of beans, with two miniature sausages, bacon, and kidney. Sublime.

Cooked, and I do mean cooked, ten minutes low heat minimum, in a saucepan with a lash of Worstershire or a belt of HP.

Both if you felt so inclined. A thick slice of the bread of your choice, toasted and on birthdays, high days and holy days a fried egg on top.

It was almost the perfect breakfast and I never tired of it, I introduced my son to it and for one of his birthdays (9th I think it was) part of his present was half a dozen tins of the good stuff.

Everything was infused with the taste of the other, the kidney a toothsome mid tone.

This is no semi-ironic look at what's passed from our nation's larder, it's a genuine lament for a can of the finest scran.

Still, never mind, eh.

ETA: I'm convinced it was Heinz that made it and not Crosse & Blackwell, but I could be wrong...

Cobblers.

Mince with a scone topping and Spam fritters.

Both unhealthy as f**k ,but extremely tasty.

attachicon.gifmince.jpg

attachicon.gifspam.jpg

Any childhood, school dinner, comfort food favourites you miss?

Never seen that mince with scone topping thing.

Must be an east coast delicacy?

Looks alright 'tho!

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/24221/minced-beef-cobbler.aspx

Irn Bru bars. Luminous orange bars which cost me a couple of baby teeth. Also 3d doritos. I'm sure they existed, along with some cone shaped ones. Thought they where brilliant but everyone I mention them too thinks I made them up.

Do they still make Kraft Cheesey Pasta? It was a staple diet when i was a student.

I've seen the Marshalls kind kicking about but not the one in the orange box.

Yeah they do.

Irn Bru bars. Luminous orange bars which cost me a couple of baby teeth. Also 3d doritos. I'm sure they existed, along with some cone shaped ones. Thought they where brilliant but everyone I mention them too thinks I made them up.

3D Doritos existed my friend. They were decent, as were Irn Bru bars. You get Wham Bars that are bru flavoured but it's not the same....

Keeping with the Doritos theme, I'm positive they had a pizza flavour at one time. They came in a green packet.

3D Doritos still exist in Spain I believe.

Archived