Lockerbie - 26 years on

FlyerTon

11 hours ago, TxRover said:

The Sheriff of a Parish in Louisiana, made a deal with drug smugglers to provide a safe landing strip and protect said strip from police presence during agreed upon times and dates. Only he and two top deputies, were aware of the arrangement, and profited by several million dollar over three years. Unfortunately, one of the lower level types on the reception committee was picked up on other charges and mentioned the means of getting the drugs in, which led to the FBI looking into the landing strip and the occasional strange changes in police patrol patterns…

Eh, voila…

That won't count, because reasons...

20 hours ago, TxRover said:

It was a huge cover up that got exposed, because too many people were involved. I was assigned a debate pro-Contras at the time. Fawn Hall…

The overall point is all these conspiracy theories have an inherent weakness, the fact someone “knows” about it, but somehow it’s still all secret. Conspiracies don’t work that way, they are either so closely held that they aren’t exposed for decades or centuries, or someone spills the beans. On the successful conspiracies that have eventually been uncovered, I can’t think of one that had more than 3 to 5 people in the know, and it was generally 2 or 3.

This is nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_Due

This is one example of a successful conspiracy. There are many more.

My mums friend was one of the only police officers in dumfries and galloway that night, one of the first at the scene, the psychological impact of that absolutely destroyed him. Another guy I knew was bussed down from Strathclyde to help with what they call mutual aid, said the whole thing was just surreal, bagging body parts out of peoples gardens etc, he was ex-military and served in the Falklands so felt he hadnt been as badly impacted as others, but said even that couldnt properly prepare him for what they had to do. I hope one day we get the whole truth. 

10 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

My mums friend was one of the only police officers in dumfries and galloway that night, one of the first at the scene, the psychological impact of that absolutely destroyed him. Another guy I knew was bussed down from Strathclyde to help with what they call mutual aid, said the whole thing was just surreal, bagging body parts out of peoples gardens etc, he was ex-military and served in the Falklands so felt he hadnt been as badly impacted as others, but said even that couldnt properly prepare him for what they had to do. I hope one day we get the whole truth. 

There was a cop originally from Golspie stationed there. He swapped shifts with his pal so was on shift, his pals lodgings got wiped out when the plane came down. Left the force and struggled with survioror guilt.

Edited by RH33

The bomb is one that should have gone off at cruising height over the Atlantic but bad weather meant the plane climber higher than usual earlier in the flight to avoid it. The fact a warning was phoned in and the information only shared with certain individuals is truly grim, allowing some people to get off or cancel flights and sending the rest to their doom. 

12 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The fact a warning was phoned in and the information only shared with certain individuals is truly grim, allowing some people to get off or cancel flights and sending the rest to their doom. 

I did not know that. Who received the warning, and why was the flight not cancelled? 

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I did not know that. Who received the warning, and why was the flight not cancelled? 

Sorry I’ve got some decorating to do but a warning was called in to the US Embasdy in Helsinki IIRC that a bomb would be put on a Pan Am flight out of Frankfurt. They later said it was coincidence but a number of CIA staff and their families cancelled and some even got off before take off. A group of South African politicians also got a warning not to travel on it. 

20 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Sorry I’ve got some decorating to do but a warning was called in to the US Embasdy in Helsinki IIRC that a bomb would be put on a Pan Am flight out of Frankfurt. They later said it was coincidence but a number of CIA staff and their families cancelled and some even got off before take off. A group of South African politicians also got a warning not to travel on it. 

Presumably the authorities thought the warning was a hoax (there were a lot of them at the time), some passengers got wind of it and decided not to fly. As I remember it there were plenty other CIA and other American Government types who went down with the plane, it was full of them going home for Christmas.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Presumably the authorities thought the warning was a hoax (there were a lot of them at the time), some passengers got wind of it and decided not to fly. As I remember it there were plenty other CIA and other American Government types who went down with the plane, it was full of them going home for Christmas.

Yes, the suspect stuff is that the ones who didn’t board were the ones being investigated by the ones who did board (and the ones who were meant to be being targeted by the bombers). 

11 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Where is all of this coming from? What’s the source?

It was all reported at the time. Paul Foot writing in Private Eye and The Guardian was the highest profile person. The father of one of the crash victims, Dr Jim Swire, also covered it and followed every bit of the trial. It’s not a case of anything new or uncovered, rather the Libyan stuff appeared to be a total retrofit to tidy up the crime and allow them back into the international fold. The media just appeared to forget all the evidence when the trial came along and Megrahi was the only one prosecuted. 

Edited by Shandon Par

PFLP - GC,  Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine - General Command (a bunch of splitters if I have ever heard) claimed responsibility , but that might have just been to claim the millions that Iran was offering to blow up a US plane in revenge for their airliner getting it 6 months earlier.

On 16/12/2022 at 17:00, TxRover said:

The Sheriff of a Parish in Louisiana, made a deal with drug smugglers to provide a safe landing strip and protect said strip from police presence during agreed upon times and dates. Only he and two top deputies, were aware of the arrangement, and profited by several million dollar over three years. Unfortunately, one of the lower level types on the reception committee was picked up on other charges and mentioned the means of getting the drugs in, which led to the FBI looking into the landing strip and the occasional strange changes in police patrol patterns…

Eh, voila…

Eight Miles Higher: KENNETH WILLIAMS: 'BEYOND OUR KEN'