Montrose vs Elgin

I have to agree with IdB above as far as HL football is concerned. That is far from having any disrespect for the HL - quite the reverse, they are a great football competition. However Montrose is not in the Highlands and would suffer greatly if relegated there both in terms of finance and player acquisition. Equally the Lowland League is not a realistic option. They might well struggle on for a couple of years but effectively that would be the end of our club. Equally and realistically it is going to happen anyway if not this season then the one after or the one after that.

Unfortunately geography is not on our side and we are only a wee town with no sugar daddy. Not looking for sympathy here just being realistic but the pyramid will do no favours for the continued existence of several wee clubs even some who are better placed than us geographically. That's progress I suppose and no doubt it will strengthen Scottish football to be rid of clubs like ours but I hope we find a way of biting back over time as the cycle turns full circle as others suddenly find themselves facing the same fate as probably us, Elgin or Shire this season.

I'm not totally up on how the League 2 relegation playoffs work. How do they decide which league the losing team would be relegated to should they lose it? Is it geographical? If so then a club like Montrose surely can't be expected to go up to Wick and the like?

Also how do they decide who the bottom team in League 2 plays? Is there a playoff between the top team in the Highland League and the top team in the Lowland League? And how do they stop either of those leagues from becoming 'lopsided' in terms of number of teams in them?

Anyway, enjoyed our visit to Montrose on Saturday. I heard your number 3 was a trialist. Probably best if you don't sign him. He was destroyed by the Elgin number 7 (who looked a good player).

I'm not totally up on how the League 2 relegation playoffs work. How do they decide which league the losing team would be relegated to should they lose it? Is it geographical? If so then a club like Montrose surely can't be expected to go up to Wick and the like?

Also how do they decide who the bottom team in League 2 plays? Is there a playoff between the top team in the Highland League and the top team in the Lowland League? And how do they stop either of those leagues from becoming 'lopsided' in terms of number of teams in them?

Anyway, enjoyed our visit to Montrose on Saturday. I heard your number 3 was a trialist. Probably best if you don't sign him. He was destroyed by the Elgin number 7 (who looked a good player).

These questions have been answered umpteen times - relegated team is assigned to Highland/Lowland League on a geographic basis, the dividing line is the Tay, as I understand IF Montrose are relegated , off to the HL they go. Montrose to Wick is a fair trek, but thems the breaks. Montrose to Dalbeattie is about 190 miles, 240 miles to Wick.

Play off between HL & LL champions the winner plays the bottom Division Two team.

If leagues get lopsided, it would be up to each league to add teams if required, at the moment there are two "spare" spots in the LL, HL currently has 18 members,but if Brora, for example, go up and Elgin or Montrose go down it won't be a problem. If It's East Stirlingshire then the LL will probably invite another side in,and the HL will probably run with 17 teams, I would think, working on the basis that Elgin will come down the following season. :rolleyes:

My view is that the club will fold if we finish 10th and lose the play off.

We have no chance in a play off against Brora should they decide to go for league entry (no one really has a clue what their intentions are), a bit more of a chance if Edinburgh City win the Lowland League (then again, that will be a very tight game).

We barely have money to exist in League Two, let alone the travel etc in the HL. I dont really think there is an appetite for Highland League football if we finish last and lose out in the play off. This current side certainly wouldn;t trouble the moneybags four or five who are now dominating that league, either in terms of resources or the current squad.

The window of opportunity is closing fast for the board, to avoid this scenario. Shields has been an utter disatser of a manager and has to be got rid of, so that a manager who knows what they are doing can try and maximise what potential there is from the current squad. Beliebve it or not there have been far worse Montrose sides than this one, but the current management is making an East Region Premier side of them all.

Over to the board. Shields has to go if we are serious about keeping senior football in the town. If he is retained in a gamble that Shire or Elgin will have worse results than us between now and may then it looks like being a losing one, and Montrose will quit the senior game with an apathetic whimper.

The next few weeks are crucial for the future of this club. We don;t have money for a load of new players, but we can give the current squad a chance by apointing a coach whom they can have at least some respect for, and learn something from. Pretty obviously this is not happening at present.

I agree with most of your post, I've just highlighted the bit about travelling distances. Yes we won't get the Angus games but using this years league we won't get the Annan/Berwick travel twice a year per club. The only HL away trips further than those two are Brora and Wick (admittedly by some distance in the case of Wick). I think it's worth people having a look at the actual travel distances to the HL teams. However I don't know how a midweek game to Wick could ever reasonably happen and I guess the hardest part would be getting players willing to play in the HL for Montrose.

I would think we would get a season or two in the Highland League if we end up there and then may disappear as a footnote in the history of Scottish Football after that if things didn't change.

I agree with most of your post, I've just highlighted the bit about travelling distances. Yes we won't get the Angus games but using this years league we won't get the Annan/Berwick travel twice a year per club. The only HL away trips further than those two are Brora and Wick (admittedly by some distance in the case of Wick). I think it's worth people having a look at the actual travel distances to the HL teams. However I don't know how a midweek game to Wick could ever reasonably happen and I guess the hardest part would be getting players willing to play in the HL for Montrose.

I would think we would get a season or two in the Highland League if we end up there and then may disappear as a footnote in the history of Scottish Football after that if things didn't change.

I see what you're saying about distances, but there's a huge difference between travelling to Annan & to Wick from Montrose.

Annan is dual carriageway/motorway all the way (apart from 12 miles at the start & a similar distance at the end)

Wick involves a hellish cross country journey to the A9 and single-carriageway roads north of Inverness. You would be struggling enough without the expense of an overnight stay.

I really hope your club can survive this if the worst does happen. Good luck.

I see what you're saying about distances, but there's a huge difference between travelling to Annan & to Wick from Montrose.

Annan is dual carriageway/motorway all the way (apart from 12 miles at the start & a similar distance at the end)

Wick involves a hellish cross country journey to the A9 and single-carriageway roads north of Inverness. You would be struggling enough without the expense of an overnight stay.

I really hope your club can survive this if the worst does happen. Good luck.

I think everyone is getting fixated a bit about Wick thats all. It is a hellish journey no doubt I wouldn't deny that, but that is once a year.

In recent times we have had the trip to Stranraer which isn't good either. Or in the cup a trip to Ayr and Dalbettie which although fun and different, were a long day for all. Well for my liver anyway.

But most of the HL is in Moray with trips to Cove, Pitmedden, Inverurie etc being closer than anything we are doing this year outwith Arbroath.

If we went down it would be possibly at the hands of Brora (if they can be bothered going for it) removing that long haul, leaving Fort William, Inverness, Nairn the furthest trips after Wick and all taking about the time it takes to get to Annan.

The bigger issue to me would be the eventual removal of revenue from the SPFL and we would by no means have successful seasons increasing crowds back to LP. With the lack of any support/connection between the town and club as is things possibly wouldn't go well.

Still we aren't down as yet and the board have time to do something about it. The players are generally good enough to be successful this year.

Vital 3 points for Elgin. Have my reservations about new manager but at least the side now has a better balance with McPhee wide left and Soapy in the middle where he can have more of an influence. Pity Sutherland got injured he is very frustrating at times but we will miss his physical presence. Would still like to see us get a couple more loanees in to give the squad a bit of depth but confident we will scrape 3rd bottom.

I thought IDB and others have good point if Montrose end up in HL. At least Elgin come from there although think it would take them many years to get back to SPFL if they get relegated if in deed there is the appetite to come back. As far as Brora are concerned my friends in North say there is little chance of them wanting to join SPFL.

Vital 3 points for Elgin. Have my reservations about new manager but at least the side now has a better balance with McPhee wide left and Soapy in the middle where he can have more of an influence. Pity Sutherland got injured he is very frustrating at times but we will miss his physical presence. Would still like to see us get a couple more loanees in to give the squad a bit of depth but confident we will scrape 3rd bottom.

I thought IDB and others have good point if Montrose end up in HL. At least Elgin come from there although think it would take them many years to get back to SPFL if they get relegated if in deed there is the appetite to come back. As far as Brora are concerned my friends in North say there is little chance of them wanting to join SPFL.

interesting...

their chairman last said that he would leave that decision to the fans (although his preference to remain in HFL is clear). However nothing has been heard since and who knows by what mechanism or when Brora's fans will make the decision.

If they are not interested, then the honourable thing to do would be to forego the play-off and leave whoever wins the Lowland League to have a crack at whoever ends up finishing bottom of the table.

interesting...

their chairman last said that he would leave that decision to the fans (although his preference to remain in HFL is clear). However nothing has been heard since and who knows by what mechanism or when Brora's fans will make the decision.

If they are not interested, then the honourable thing to do would be to forego the play-off and leave whoever wins the Lowland League to have a crack at whoever ends up finishing bottom of the table.

Or let the runners-up in the Highland League have a go. Mind you, if they don't want to step up either, if successful, how far down the table do you go?

Not wanting promotion kind of defeats the purpose of a pyramid.

Or let the runners-up in the Highland League have a go. Mind you, if they don't want to step up either, if successful, how far down the table do you go?

Not wanting promotion kind of defeats the purpose of a pyramid.

I really don't understand all this. Surely the HFL and Lowland League agreed/signed up for the pyramid system so, all teams playing in it should abide by this - opting out shouldn't be an option. Otherwise could the loser of the playoff not just opt out of dropping down a league? "We've had a poll of our fans and we choose not to - thankyou" :P

Although IF the stories about our board are true they would knock you over to get back to the little pond... sad, very sad.

I really don't understand all this. Surely the HFL and Lowland League agreed/signed up for the pyramid system so, all teams playing in it should abide by this - opting out shouldn't be an option. Otherwise could the loser of the playoff not just opt out of dropping down a league? "We've had a poll of our fans and we choose not to - thankyou" :P

Although IF the stories about our board are true they would knock you over to get back to the little pond... sad, very sad.

It hasn't really been clarified if a team can reject promotion, however it has been suggested this isn't what bora would do, they would simply poll fans on weather or not to upgrade the floodlights, with the "unfortunate" consequence of not upgrading them meaning they would have to stay in the HL.

If this happens it will be a bye for the LL side to play 10th in league 2

Archived