We won't win the league

Stating the obvious for some I know, but others still harbour a belief that we can do it. Whilst it’s not impossible, it’s exceptionally unlikely. I simply don’t think it will happen.

We are 10 points behind the leaders Stranraer and 5 behind Morton.

The most points we can now finish on is 80.

Stranraer already have almost half of that (39). Most they can get is 84. We still have to play them twice. Say we beat them on our way to a 16 game winning streak. We’d win the league by a single point. But how likely is that? Even if our form improves, Stranraer would need to have a monumental collapse. And their form says that’s pretty unlikely. I know the hard of thinking will throw up the clichés about injuries and fixture pile up, but even if they do happen for Stranraer (who so far have all of one extra game than us, the Scottish Cup game against Dundee United after they beat some utter diddy outfit team in the previous round), it surely won’t be enough to utterly halt their momentum and turn their form to shit. But even if they do collapse, we’d also be relying on Morton collapsing, and possibly Forfar as well. Here is the league form of all the teams in League 1 for the last 15 games (we all know our form, but looking at it laid out like this shows how poor it is; it also shows how good Stranraer have been);

Stranraer
D W D W D W W D W W W W L W W
Forfar
W D W W W D D L D W W W D L L
Brechin
W L L W L L W W D D D D W W W
Morton
W L L W L W W W W L D L W L W
Peterhead
L W L W D W L D W D W L W D W
Airdrie Utd
D W L W D D W L L D W D W W L
Dunfermline
W L W W W D L D L W W L L D D
Stenhousemuir
L W D L W L L W L L W L W L L
Stirling
D L L L L D L D L L L D L W D
Ayr
W L L L W L L L L L L D L L L

Here it is the each club’s last 20 games (how many games, although for the clubs who have only played 19 or 18 games it takes games from the end of last season to make up for it; here ours begins with a draw, which was the draw against Sevco on the last day of last season; it’s also why it shows Peterhead as being above us in terms of form as they've only played 18 games this season, so it takes their last two results of last season, a win and a draw, in to account);

Stranraer
D L D L W D W D W D W W D W W W W L W W
Morton
L W W L W W L L W L W W W W L D L W L W
Forfar
D W L W W D W W W D D L D W W W D L L
Brechin
D W D D W L L W L L W W D D D D W W W
Peterhead
D W L D L W L W D W L D W D W L W D W
Dunfermline
D L W W W L W W W D L D L W W L L D D
Airdrie Utd
L L L D L D W L W D D W L L D W D W W L
Stenhousemuir
W L L D L L W D L W L L W L L W L W L L
Ayr
W W W D L W L L L W L L L L L L D L L L
Stirling
D L W D L D L L L L D L D L L L D L W D

We’ve made a couple of signings, but will they really solve all our problems? We’re still without Williamson until February as well. We’ve simply left it too late. The best we can hope for is the playoffs. I think we can achieve that. We need to ensure we finish second or third though to avoid playing the Championship team first. I think the best we can hope for is to really pick up our form and finish strongly with confidence and momentum and take that in to the playoffs.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me the league is still wide open;

Stranraer are on a fantastic run, but Stenny beat them at home a few weeks ago so proves they are beatable.

Morton have been so inconsistent, lost far too many games already but won just as much as Stranraer and we could go kick on again, especially with our new signings. Expect us to continue to lose games we shouldn't though.

Brechin are flying and could easily continue that form and be up there.

Forfar have been patchy recently yet if they win their game in hand, they go second and 3 points off the top.

Dunfermline might feel they are out of it, but you never know what a couple of wins in a row can do. Barrowman might find his magic again. You still have the best defense in the league.

Its wide open IMO. Any of the 5 teams could still win it. Think 4 of us need Stranraer to have a mini blip to pull them back into the pack though.

Brecihn at 14/1 with Stan James is not a bad bet....

Its really hard to be optimistic after recent form. With full time training and better budget we should have a major advantage but if anything we look more disorganised, weaker and less sure of ourselves than part timers. Ok so we've got our act together off the pitch but on it we are arguably the worst run club in the country. It really is a joke to see us struggle so badly against sides like Stirling and airdrie who are no where near us in terms of budget or training potential. Sticking in the young guys has been a disaster and we wont win anything until they are out the side.

At least your youth team is doing well; that's sure to compensate for another season of humiliating failure for the first-team.

You always see the bright side of each situation.

Please don't shame us too badly in the playoffs.

Hypothetically... if the Moff had scored 4 carefully selected goals in the last ten games (instead of none), we could be level with Stranraer. Failing to kill teams off has cost us dear. Even a little improvement in our goalscoring could have a dramatic effect on our form.

I'm guessing VT hasn't checked our youth team's form since Potter abandoned them to take over the big team?

Edit - 1-5 (Hibs) and 1-6 (Accies) defeats. The 1-5 was against Hibs at Ainslie Park - sure is a tough venue for League One outfits.

I think we'll still get promoted, Stranraer had a monumental arse collapse last year did they not?

Whether we'll win the title is debatable.

We could get that collapse started on Saturday !! ;)

We also have two games against you lot in the not too distant future which could have a major say in proceedings from there on in .

Could be interesting !

We could get that collapse started on Saturday !! ;)

We also have two games against you lot in the not too distant future which could have a major say in proceedings from there on in .

Could be interesting !

But the (very unlikely) collapse would have to occur as well as our (very unlikely) resurgence. One of them might happen, but both seems pretty unlikely, at least not to the level required.

Ayr United.

:lol:

I was about to bite, then I saw our form above.......

Hopefully McCalls black and white dream machine can light up the board with a bit of green before the end of the season.

Still Stranraer for me, Aitken is another year wiser so to speak and knows he'll probably have a couple of offers on the table come the end of the season especially if they win the league. Would like Morton and Dunfermline out of the league this season but it's likely to only be 1 of them at most, can't imagine they'll be as inconsistent next year.

Archived