Best First Line on an Album

Stephen Malkmus

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'His palms are sweaty, knees weak arms are heavy, there's vomit on his sweater already moms spaghetti'

'This bed is on fire with passionate love, the neighbours complain about the noises above, but she only comes when she's on top'

^ 2 off top of my head

I do not need, a microphone, my voice is fucking, POWEFUUUUULLLL!!!!

My shower song of choice (well that and Motley Crue's Home Sweet Home). I even add in the KG parts. I love the 'Ooooooo' and 'Ahhhhhh' vocals at the start. The 'video' (or part of the film it's in) is glorious. Lee's face is brilliant.

Been a long time since I listened to that! Absolutely brilliant album. One of those albums that most folk will probably say "Never heard of them or that album", but be blown away by.

Aye been ages since I listened to Incubus too, but when I saw the topic about lyrics this popped straight into my head. Ended up sticking the album on too 8)

'This bed is on fire with passionate love, the neighbours complain about the noises above, but she only comes when she's on top'

As mentioned, it isn't the first line of that album.

Still, the album does have a brilliant first line with

"I'm so alone tonight my bed feels larger than when I was small, lost in memories, lost in all the sheets and old pillows"

In fact, I'd say the song laid is quite strange as I don't think it flows well with the rest of the album (along with the other song Low)

Archived