Meltdowns

gavin_3110

What's the biggest meltdown you've ever had at a game?

For me it was GTA Vice City on the Playstation 2 Doing this mission and kept failing it, each time with gradually increasing levels of rage, nearly done and one of the wee fuckers shot me into the sea prompting an almighty fit of rage and one PS2 controller repeatedly battered off the wooden floor smashing into bits.

Nowadays I'm more level headed but when Bowser takes you out yards from the line in Mario Kart on the Wii it's hard to stay composed.

Warcraft 3 online 1v1 ladder, finally lost patience with a mouse with bad input lag that cost me a match.

Haymakered the keyboard a few times, ripped out the mouse then threw both against the wall.

Good times.

I never found the training mission in Driver that hard, IIRC there was an cut scene example of what was needed before attempting (although I may be wrong) and it only took a few attempts. That last mission though....feck that shit, still not completed that and never will.

GTA San Andres had a mission called Air Raid where you had to shoot down waves of mini RC planes carrying bombs, I always had the uncanny knack of starting these mission when it was dark.......increasing the difficulty level tenfold.

Last mission on the original Driver.

Training (!) mission on the original Driver. Harder than 99% of the game.

i remember a mate of mine actually sat down with a pen and bit of paper and wrote down the exact turns he had to do in the presidents run, it took him god knows how many run throughs to get it but his theory (never witnessed i might add) is that there is always one street where no car comes towards you, only the ones following you

suffice to say i never attempted that shite

as for myself, any flying mission in GTA games, just couldnt get the hang of them properly and most times i fluked them

GTA San Andres had a mission called Air Raid where you had to shoot down waves of mini RC planes carrying bombs, I always had the uncanny knack of starting these mission when it was dark.......increasing the difficulty level tenfold.

I stopped playing because of that mission. Mindnumbingly tedious and infuriating.

Back when I was around 6-8 years old I loved my Gameboy Advance, and I'd play it all the time after school etc. Then I got Super Mario Advance 2. The levels of seethe generated by that game is off the charts. I'd pure try-hard the game, beads of sweat running down my forehead and aw that as the pressure cranked up near the end of the levels. Obviously, the more pressured you felt, the more mistakes you'd make. This led to multiple meltdowns and head's gone moments as my Gameboy flew from one side of the room to another. I've never felt rage like that ever in my life since. My Gameboy survived all these breakdowns incidentally, only suffering a broken shoulder button and battery cover.

Closest I've come to it since is dropping my controller in a huff during FIFA or just downright swearing at the screen in rage whilst playing other games. Nothing at the level of pelting stuff at walls though.

• 2 weeks later...

The meltdown that sticks in my mind most from when I was a lad was playing Theme Park and losing money hand-over-fist despite having built an awesome theme park slowly and steady. And then, I couldn't sell it and was left genuinely on the verge of tears / absolutely raging.

There is a more recent meltdown, embarrassed to say, was playing Minecraft on Survivor mode. I'd built a massive wooden house on the top of a hill, I had a big farm, loads of stuff, a couple of rewarding mines nearby. But, I got a bit bored and then I found out there was no village on the map I was in, so I set fire to my house and blew up one of my mines :) . It was carnage I tells ye!

Used to have a lot of meltdowns on the older games for ps1/ps2. Rayman springs to mind getting through that game was tough, and to find out you have to get all the cages to get to the last level was such a pain.

Discworld as well, but I think that was more sheer frustration that I couldn't find out what to do.

I think everyone has had a meltdown, when they've played dark or demon souls, broke a controller or two from that.

X-COM: Enemy Within was pretty seethe-inducing. There are few things in gaming more annoying than watching your sniper miss a 95% chance shot then get killed by some diddy alien from half way across the map.

Crash bandicoot 1 - sunset vista.

This fucking level STILL gives me nightmares, the only time I ever got a game over was that level. I played my pals PS1 and this game last month and I still have a mare. It's too long, if you die you can't get the gem and need to restart, and half your boxes are hidden. Don't forget the fucking bats who randomly attack.

Crash bandicoot 1 - sunset vista.

This fucking level STILL gives me nightmares, the only time I ever got a game over was that level. I played my pals PS1 and this game last month and I still have a mare. It's too long, if you die you can't get the gem and need to restart, and half your boxes are hidden. Don't forget the fucking bats who randomly attack.

Remember getting right to the very end of that level with all the boxes, only for me to fall between the tiny gap between the edge of the platform and the portal.

just sat there stunned.

Archived