Hibs v Berwick

The 1980/81 0-0 was a classic cup tie at Shielfield Park with Georgie Best playing the first half before being hooked and never seen again (he did show one incredible piece of skill, chesting the ball down twisting and sending two defenders the wrong way but he could hardly run by that time). The Ducket wall collapsed spilling wee Hibbees all over the speedway track, no-one seriously hurt but could have been a disaster. In the last few minutes, Roddy Georgeson hit a shot against the bar so hard it rebounded further than he had hit it. Alan will probably have the crowd stat. Heady days under player manager Davie White

Smith.

I remember it well when the wall went down it could have been a horriffic accident. 7228 was the crowd according to records.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big Denz and Dje Dje conducting the Hibernian Choir in a rendition, straight after this year's cup final.

Nap.

As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti, Sodje.

Appears this is all ticket, at least for Berwick fans, with only next week's home match and the Tuesday night development match the available times to get (an unlimited number of) tickets in person. Otherwise only by post and cheque (apparently some people still exist who have cheque books), no online, no telephone orders and no outlet during the week.

Only on sale within the turnstiles. Being cynical one might suggest the club are using this to milk every penny out of it by ensuring all the glory hunters have to pay to get into the league game to buy a ticket for the cup game - effectively a £12 transaction cost. Given my disillusionment with the club this season I probably fall into the glory hunting category as I haven't been since Autumn. To compound matters I absolutely cannot get next week as have something on at night in Edinburgh - but even if I had attended every match this season I still wouldn't be able to get a ticket next week and there are likely to be other supporters in that situation. We have many who travel to Berwick and travel some distance who may not have been planning to get to next week's game for a variety of reasons.

I accept postal orders will be made, I accept that football fans usually find a way and there will be people buying for friends who can't make it next week. But my general point is that this is an opportunity for the club to gain new supporters, to increase the fan base and regular attendees, to reward the loyal support for 7 years of shite and instead they can be accused of using it as a cynical money making excercise. This is a great opportunity to build the core support and at a perfect time when there is a play off push after the cup tie, getting them in the gate next week could also be seen to be helping that but my fear is it proves counter productive and some who were thinking of going to Easter Road decide not to because they can't get next week. Hibs have done their bit by keeping the price reasonable on the day at £15, but for many planning to go this has just been turned into £27.

This seems to me to be a common thread throughout British football that when small clubs get a cup run or a big game they use it not only to treat their regulars like dirt but also to put off possible newcomers as they get blinded by £ signs.

And it's a shit Sunday lunchtime kick off.

#hatemodernfootball

(I fully expect opobrium as I'm not there every week now and in some eyes will not be entitled to an opinion but hey f**k it)

I'd also assumed that with over 4,000 seats in the away stand at ER it would be possible to pay on the day - either at the turnstiles or at the away ticket sales booth - but apparently not. Just pre-purchased inside Shielfield on Saturday / Tuesday, or requested by post.

http://www.berwickrangers.com/hibs-match-details-tickets/

Although tbf it does also say "any future sale will be announced on the club website after March 3."

By chance I'm probably unable to make the game on Saturday, having made almost every other home game this season, so I'll have to chance it by Royal Mail.

Something doesn't quite add-up in the statement, though:

You can get your tickets via post by enclosing the correct ticket money, plus an additional £2 handling charge per order to cover postage. Therefore, it’ll be Adults – £17 and Concessions/Students/Children – £7.

Second part disagrees with the first part - that's £2 per ticket, not per order?

I too cannot make either game and I am disgusted at the £2 per ticket charge.

6 of us looking to head, all 6 for various reasons cannot go on Saturday and none wish to go to the development game so to get 6 tickets posted to me which let's face it will fit in the same envelope it'll cost me about £11.00 more than in reality it should.

Cost is not the issue it's the whole principle of it.

It's a huge area that we will be in so why not pay at the gate I wonder?

To reassure Berwick fans I am pretty confident that there will be a facility on the day of the game to purchase tickets at the booth for away fans outside the South (Away fans) Stand. This has happened at all home games this season apart from Rangers and Hearts where it was sold out before kick off. The stand holds just under 4,000 so there should be no chance of sell out.

Even with online sales there's always going to be an extra charge above the £15 and each transaction costs and posting, but I'm sure many would be happy to pay that for the ease of online sales. It's ludicrous that this facility isn't being used when the club already have it in place for season tickets. Ticket announcement 16 days before the game, but not on sale until 8 days before the game. As SG said, this is really poor from the club. Every big game we get they're left scrambling around not knowing what to do and this "can't get a ticket unless you go to Albion game or have a cheque book" is absurd.

It's even more embarrassing that it comes only days after the lessons have been learned statement. As for the Spartans game, lessons should have been learned after the Montrose call off last season.

I don't want to sound like I'm picking for the sake of it btw. I would have quite happily went to Shielfield and helped the club sell tickets at the ground a couple of nights this week, and I'm sure others would have too. I've spoken to a local publican this morning who would have been happy to sell tickets in the town centre, and I'm sure The Sporran should would have been happy to sell them too.

To reassure Berwick fans I am pretty confident that there will be a facility on the day of the game to purchase tickets at the booth for away fans outside the South (Away fans) Stand. This has happened at all home games this season apart from Rangers and Hearts where it was sold out before kick off. The stand holds just under 4,000 so there should be no chance of sell out.

We can hardly rely on that though as the club statement makes no mention of that and since the announcement of "any future sale" will be made "after March 3rd" - the last day for buying in person or by post.

EDIT: Also I see that the club statement has now lost the £17 and £7 part, so it is indeed just £15 or £5 plus an extra £2 per order by post.

Bit of over reaction here I think. Seems clear nobody who wants a ticket will fail to get one. And if they can engineer getting a few more into next week's game, I've no problem with that.

I'm buying 5 tickets next week for mates who can't get there. And if I wasn't going, I'd still be 100% confident we'd all get one.

Archived