Vinyl/Records

M0rtonfc

Doesn't apply to all types of music but evilbay has loads of bootlegs and the grading of vinyl can be poor. I try to buy from same dealers where possible as you build up some sort of relationship. Tend to find you might at least get deals for multiple buys.

Also if you can trade with them away from discogs site there are discounts of at least 10% to be had if not more.

There's a few cracking shops in Edinburgh. I love the Oxfam record shop in Stockbridge bought loads of stuff not just records. I once even knocked them down by 15 quid which might seem a bit of a c***s trick seeing as it's a charity shop but I thought ffs somebody must have donated the record & I still shelled out 50 noted for it so some good came of it.

Elvis Shakespeare's on Leith Walk is ace too, I always buy something there too.

Guilty Pleasures on the royal mile is ok, but the owner wasn't prepared to barter on a Smiths Bootleg even though I pointed out that the original insert had been cut up & just the bit pertaining to that lp had been glued on the back of the cover.

It's gone now so I assume someone must have paid the price.

Vox is pretty good also in Stockbridge but it's a bugger to find it open. I usually go in there on Record Store Day, which should be coming up soon?

Avalanche down the grass market is decent but it's a b*****d to park down there.

Grimbo

There's a few cracking shops in Edinburgh. I love the Oxfam record shop in Stockbridge bought loads of stuff not just records. I once even knocked them down by 15 quid which might seem a bit of a c***s trick seeing as it's a charity shop but I thought ffs somebody must have donated the record & I still shelled out 50 noted for it so some good came of it.

Guilty Pleasures on the royal mile is ok, but the owner wasn't prepared to barter on a Smiths Bootleg even though I pointed out that the original insert had been cut up & just the bit pertaining to that lp had been glued on the back of the cover.

Vox is pretty good also in Stockbridge but it's a bugger to find it open. I usually go in there on Record Store Day, which should be coming up soon?

Avalanche down the grass market is decent but it's a b*****d to park down there.

Grimbo

April 18th I think.

Announcement re special RSD releases this evening.

Last vinyl I bought was from LoveMusic (formerly Avalanche) in Dundas Street in Glasgow last Monday. Got the New Noel Gallagher album, Ryan Adams' latest album and an old punk compilation. In Glasgow the New Hellfire Club on the Hidden lane in Argyle Street has some decent stuff in it, last time I was in I picked up a secondhand copy of New Order's Power, Corruption & Lies for a fiver. Was in good condition and plays really nicely indeed.

Grimbo

Alas, Avalanche is no more, certainly not permenantly. Think the boy still sets up a stall on Saturdays round and about the town. Shame really, not sure if he's got something in the works to get somewhere sorted for all the time.

Vinyl Villains at the top of Leith Walk is pretty decent, probably the best I've been to. Got the Stone Roses' debut and a brilliant Joy Division bootleg filled with Peel sessions and the like in there, both in immaculate condition. Groucho's in Dundee's been alright by and large when I've been in, bit hit and a miss at times though.

Full list of RSD releases here for anyone interested.

Alas, Avalanche is no more, certainly not permenantly. Think the boy still sets up a stall on Saturdays round and about the town. Shame really, not sure if he's got something in the works to get somewhere sorted for all the time.

Vinyl Villains at the top of Leith Walk is pretty decent, probably the best I've been to. Got the Stone Roses' debut and a brilliant Joy Division bootleg filled with Peel sessions and the like in there, both in immaculate condition. Groucho's in Dundee's been alright by and large when I've been in, bit hit and a miss at times though.

Full list of RSD releases here for anyone interested.

I forgot about Vinyl Villains mind I wasn't that impressed with it personally, it's deffo worth putting on the list of Edinburgh record shop list trail.

There's am amazing shop up past the bridges down a wee side street that as LP's from floor to ceiling, you just tell the fellah what you are looking for & he brings a box out of what he's got but his prices are top dollar. Round the corner there's another Oxfam that sells records but nowhere as near good as the Stockbridge one. Further down heading towards Cameron Toll there's another 2 record shops 1 that's pure vinyl & 1 that's pure cd.

Cheers for the up on RSD list, I'm not that excited about that list, so won't be getting up that early for once ha ha.

Grimbo

Before I moved to the states I remember being in Edinburgh for a wee day out and had a look in Avalanche down at the Grass Markets, I remember it was a mission to get too, away down the bottom. It was ok, the records were all more or less brand new out the wrapper efforts so the prices were not the best, I end up leaving with Mogwai - Mr Beast for 18 notes, not bad but cheaper online.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone go shopping in Stirling? Is Europa still there? Happy memories of the room they had out the back with rows and rows of vinyl all mixed up, and all 50p each...

I was in there for the first time on Tuesday! Was looking at CDs though so can't comment on the room you speak of.

I've never really listened to any vinyl, I'm thinking about starting a small collection. Anyone able to recommend, or looking to offload a turntable for much cheapness? Don't want to spend a fortune when I don't know if I'll stick with it. I've got a decent seperates HiFi system to connect it to.

I was in there for the first time on Tuesday! Was looking at CDs though so can't comment on the room you speak of.

I've never really listened to any vinyl, I'm thinking about starting a small collection. Anyone able to recommend, or looking to offload a turntable for much cheapness? Don't want to spend a fortune when I don't know if I'll stick with it. I've got a decent seperates HiFi system to connect it to.

I've seen cheapish 2nd hand ones in those pawn shops like cash converters etcetera .

Grimbo

Monorail Records in Kings Court in Glasgow.

Oxfam music shop, Great Western Rd.

Fopp, Great Western Rd.

There's also a really good second hand shop in Ruthven Lane, just off Great Western Rd.

Mixed Up Records, Otago St.

I've seen cheapish 2nd hand ones in those pawn shops like cash converters etcetera .

Grimbo

Good shout Grimbo, had a quick squint on their site and there's a few already.

Hope I don't feature in a forthcoming episode of the Cash Converters series shown on the BBC.

Link

Good shout Grimbo, had a quick squint on their site and there's a few already.

Hope I don't feature in a forthcoming episode of the Cash Converters series shown on the BBC.

Link

Give them a false name/address & if you go in person wear a disguise. :)

Unless you want media fame, some do?

There are other pawn sites available. Be sure to clear your history.

Grimbo

Archived