A Guitar-related Question

Andy_K_97

What guitar to buy?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The stock pickups on the Ibanez are actually pretty decent. Only downside is they're a bit microphonic, though you're always going to get noise from a hot single coil. The TV Jones lads were my initial thought as I'm looking to have that P90 grunt but with a bit more twang to work with the hollowbody. Will have a swatch of Oil City too though. Tone I go for is fairly meaty (though not in a metal sense) but with a chime/twang to it. Big Killing Joke fan so love that tone that Geordie gets from his 295. Nothing else sounds like him.

From your above posting, I think the T 90 would certainly cover the tone areas you are looking for, but I would add that the SE One that has the T90 is a solid body and you have a semi acoustic, so there is a significant difference between the guitars. What I would say is TV Jones quality is excellent and at the time I first put their pick ups on a guitar, they did not have a distributor in this country and had to deal directly with them in the US, found their customer care to match the quality of their product. Compared with my PRS McCarty Soapbar, the T90 has that bit more twang than aP90

Oil City is def worth investigating. I had 5 different HB pick ups on my Levinson Blade RH4 (strat), mainly Seymour Duncan, but could not get the definition I was looking for. I liked what I had read on other firms about Oil City and my tech had had some dealings with them and he was equally impressed. I spoke to Ash (OC owner) and he supplied me with exactly what I wanted and at half the price of an SD.

My advice would be to give him a call, describe what you are looking for and if he doesn't have it in stock, he'll build it for you and it won't break the bank

• 1 month later...

Archived