Tom Walsh

Tom Walsh spent the second quarter of the season on loan at Stenhousemuir. I thought he was alright - he was decent enough on the ball, a nimble dribbler capable of carrying the play up the park and he looked better the longer he was with us, but he was lightweight and didn't really get stuck in. Fifty-fifty challenges suddenly became 70-30s in the opposition's favour.

I think there's a lot of clamour for him at Rangers because his directness and dynamism is something they've badly missed this season. No-one is prepared to take risks and their play is dour and stodgy; suddenly, young Walsh is cast into the first team and is, for want of a better expression, like a breath of fresh air. I wish him well at Rangers and hope he develops further but when he left us to return to Ibrox, the whole affair was met with indifference.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the problem for Rangers (and Celtic) youngsters is that not only do they get limited chances to develop and grow into their role in the 1st team but there's an air of expectancy that they are the finished article when they do get the chance.

Was it No.8 or Tedi that said they didn't think Kane Hemmings was good enough for League 1 & 2 after just a handful of games? The same Kane Hemming that was last seasons Championship POTY with 25 goals for Cowdenbeath!

Be patient, give them a chance as they will make mistakes.

It was me that was mocking the eejit that sits in front of me who said Hemmings wasn't even good enough to even play in the 3rd tier even though he had just returned after banging in a few for Cowdenbeath in the league above.

That said Hemmings did get quite a few chances at Ibrox but never did anything to indicate he had much of a future with the club. Obviously there comes added pressure when playing Infront of 30,000+.

There are a few players coming through who will hopefully get at least a chance to prove themselves. Sinammon...Gasparoto..Halkett..Gallagher...Murdoch..Aird..Mackay..Crawford..Hardie and Ramsey. They are playing at St Mirren next Tuesday if anybody fancies taking a look at the youngsters

It was me that was mocking the eejit that sits in front of me who said Hemmings wasn't even good enough to even play in the 3rd tier even though he had just returned after banging in a few for Cowdenbeath in the league above.

That said Hemmings did get quite a few chances at Ibrox but never did anything to indicate he had much of a future with the club. Obviously there comes added pressure when playing Infront of 30,000+.

There are a few players coming through who will hopefully get at least a chance to prove themselves. Sinammon...Gasparoto..Halkett..Gallagher...Murdoch..Aird..Mackay..Crawford..Hardie and Ramsey. They are playing at St Mirren next Tuesday if anybody fancies taking a look at the youngsters

Ah ok.........knew I remember him being mentioned.

Good point RE: playing in front of 30,000+ which highlights the greater need for the fans to be more patient.......I felt this at times last season at Tynecastle with our crop of youngsters.

• 3 weeks later...

Tom Walsh spent the second quarter of the season on loan at Stenhousemuir. I thought he was alright - he was decent enough on the ball, a nimble dribbler capable of carrying the play up the park and he looked better the longer he was with us, but he was lightweight and didn't really get stuck in. Fifty-fifty challenges suddenly became 70-30s in the opposition's favour.

I think there's a lot of clamour for him at Rangers because his directness and dynamism is something they've badly missed this season. No-one is prepared to take risks and their play is dour and stodgy; suddenly, young Walsh is cast into the first team and is, for want of a better expression, like a breath of fresh air. I wish him well at Rangers and hope he develops further but when he left us to return to Ibrox, the whole affair was met with indifference.

Yes as I said in my first post I clearly identified that he lacked strength and definitely as you said 50-50s became 70-30s for the opposition. I would like to think they are working on this at Murray Park in the gym etc. however that's me being nice. The time will come sooner than he will think when he will be told in no uncertain terms that when the ball is there to be won, win it! Probably after Rangers losing a goal due to him not doing that!

Out of contract in the summer as well. Should be a few clubs looking to sign him up for nothing.

Might be a decent signing for us if we lose a few players end of season and would get more chance of a regular start with us since he will be unlikely to get near the Rangers 1st team again after this season when Rangers make these 7 to 8 big signings in the summer so will probably be away.

Rangers don't do developing young players, that's a fact.

Murray Park. :lol:

Alan Hutton, McGregor, Barry Ferguson, Chris Burke, Charlie Adam, Ross McCormack, Lewis MacLeod to name a few :rolleyes:

Alan Hutton, McGregor, Barry Ferguson, Chris Burke, Charlie Adam, Ross McCormack, Lewis MacLeod to name a few :rolleyes:

Danny Wilson could be added to the list. Made a dreadful mistake going to Liverpool but has done well for the JAmbos and still has time to fulfill the potential he showed at Ibrox.

Kenny McLean is another. Many St Mirren fans claim selling him ended their season.

Andrew Shinnie. Pretty sure he has made a Scotland appearance.

Danny Wilson could be added to the list. Made a dreadful mistake going to Liverpool but has done well for the JAmbos and still has time to fulfill the potential he showed at Ibrox.

Kenny McLean is another. Many St Mirren fans claim selling him ended their season.

Andrew Shinnie. Pretty sure he has made a Scotland appearance.

Did Wilson have a choice in that move akin to Hutton going to Spurs?

Ofcourse he did, he was under contract at the time.

Wasn't Hutton also under contract as well? Wasn't it a case that Rangers needed the money and "encouraged" him to go?

Wasn't Hutton also under contract as well? Wasn't it a case that Rangers needed the money and "encouraged" him to go?

Yes I can't remember exact dates but absolutely right. Both were under contract and transferred by Rangers. I think it was during the period when Smith was reducing Rangers debt from 36m to 14m. However I was told Wilson's deal was unbelievable and no way would he have turned it down anyway. Smith wasnt keen to move Hutton on but after Hutton refused/declined he got a sweetener from Rangers to go. The transfer was about 9m. Murray insisted he went. I'm sure the deal was when he left in January? Both clubs paid his salary until the end of the season.

Edited as just read Bennetts post. Trust it works both ways. If the club want to sell you, you will go and if a player wants to go eventually he will get his way. Oh probably someone will come up with a name somewhere! Lol! ( don't digress lol)

Did Wilson have a choice in that move akin to Hutton going to Spurs?

Nah Wilson was told to stay but was determined to move. There was nothing Rangers could do to stop him...Bad advice but he is getting his career back on track now.

Not going to get into a debate. Flat, salary, weekly expenses and car was

way way above what he was on at Rangers. He told the lads when on u21 duty. It was such a difference his time at Liverpool has set him up for life. It's all about money can't blame players. Work is all about earning money no matter what you do! Makes me think why do players not be honest and say they are moving for the money! That's what we all say to mates when we move jobs!

Nah Wilson was told to stay but was determined to move. There was nothing Rangers could do to stop him...Bad advice but he is getting his career back on track now.

Why yes.

As things transpired, staying at Rangers would have been an excellent career move.

Archived