The All New 2015 MLB thread

lichtie23

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grienke to Arizona is nuts. They needed pitching, but a supposedly small market team throwing 200 million at one player is crazy. Giants and Dodgers both feeling like they got screwed over and no alternative pitcher worth throwing that kind of money at. Giants got Samardzija and Dodgers linked to

Iwakuma. Pretty big step down.

Cubs signed Lackey for 2 years. Seems a fairly safe choice and solidifies the rotation. Might held to add a bit of a nasty b*****d in amongst all our mild mannered youngsters as well.

Heyward still the big prize up for grabs but not much chat about him so far. He'll get a mega deal from someone - maybe up to $250 million over 10 years?

So Jeff Sama... Sarma.. Jeff Sammy signs for the Giants, who needed a starter. The Dodgers, who also need a starter, trade for Aroldis Chapman (he of the 103mph fastball), the closer of the Reds, who hurtle towards 100 losses before the winter meetings end, whilst also adding 34 year old Iwakuma to a three year, 45 million deal. Interesting day.

Aroldis Chapman to the Dodgers is off because of a domestic violence issue in October.

It's been a relatively slow start to the winter meetings this year.

The position player market is backed up, with Ben Zobrist being the cork in the bottle that Greinke was with pitching.

Once he decides where he's going (probably Washington) then the likes of Heyward (probably St Louis), Cespedes (the Giants?), Upton (Baltimore?), Gordon (Kansas City?) and Parra (Mets?) will all decide who they sign with pretty quickly.

I thought Chapmans deal was on hold and not off?

Currently in limbo it seems. Rumours that he broke his hand in the incident as well.

Bizzarely it might increase his trade value if he gets suspended - if suspended for domestic violence he doesn't accrue service time so he wouldn't reach free agency for another year! Not sure who would still want to trade for him, but snis tend to be forgiven quickly when you can throw 103MPH.

How we managed to sneak Brendan Ryan into the Castro deal is beyond me, will miss Warren and I think he will do well in Chicago if given the chance to start but overall have to say I'm happy with the trade. DBacks rotation looking very nice next year aswell with Shelby Miller off to Arizona.

Love having zobrist on the Cubs. Long contract for an older player but I feel like he should age well and can move off 2nd as he slows down. Likely lead logged hitter next year with the strong obp.

Bit sad to see Castro go as he was the golden child for a few years. Reality is he never improved as he hitter nor learned to walk, so his remaining 4 years and $40 million made him a lot less appealing. Also no longer a shortstop but a decent fit for the Yankees at 2nd. Might bounce back a bit next year.

Not that familiar with Warren but he seems a decent pitcher and cheap for a few years. Much rather add him for Castro than pay what the dbacks gave up for shelby Miller!

Not really sure why the Mets didn't get involved in making a deal for Castro. They've been hurting in the infield for a long time and will lose Daniel Murphy shortly. Yanks gave up little and the Mets have far superior pitching to offer up, though granted, they wouldn't have given up any of DeGrom, Harvey, Syndergaard or Matz for him.

A lot of fanfare but is it just me who thinks they're hardly the most exciting signings ever made?

Not to rain on any Cubs on this thread, as God knows you deserve some positivity, but I don't see that they've done any more than sign some good pros. When I look at their line up I'm still more excited by the guys they already had and don't particularly put them as red hot favourites or even more likely for the WS next year off the back of this off season. Underwhelmed.

Cubs just going for the poultry vote. His numbers really don't justify that kind of contract.

Couldn't disagree more. He's worth every penny. All the key numbers over the last few years make him a top 5 outfielder in baseball, and he is only 26 so is a good bet to be excellent for years to come. Excellent defence and baserunning and a high contact OBP based hitter. What's not to like?

A lot of fanfare but is it just me who thinks they're hardly the most exciting signings ever

The hype is already out of hand and will only get worse in the build up to the new season. As a Cubs fan I'm delighted with heyward and zobrist as they help solve our biggest issue last year with hitting - lots of swing and miss all through the lineup.

Bit underwhelmed with lackey and I think our pitching is still thin, but we look strong for next year.

Archived