Polls and predictions

Granny Danger

How accurate is Ashcroft's polling? This is the first time he's done major polling, yes?

I'd say it's pretty spot on. He backs up his polls with full explanations and methodology. Haven't seen any of the more experienced companies complaining.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a great article that- very clear and even-handed, and quite similar to the one in the Guardian linked to earlier.

Labour increasingly are the party of the elderly, the blindly faithful and the bitter.

Those taking a longer view will be relieved that the coming defeat will (almost) clear out all the personnel responsible for it. If it really is as bad as this, Murphy will be gone by the end of May 8th. A lot of soul-searching and in-fighting lies ahead of Labour.

Ashcroft did polling in the last campaign, and has actually downweighted SNP numbers to account for some form of incumbency/'big party' effect. The indications are consistent across the board: the swing to SNP is larger in direct two-horse races with the Red Tories than it is in the likes of Angus - which makes sense, as the SNP have already piled up much of their realistic voting base there in previous elections.. So a uniform swing underestimates the SNP threat in the Central Belt while overstating the huge majorities you'd expect under UNS in seats the SNP already own.

Any seat which is a two-horse SNP-Red Tory race is winnable: they won't win them all though owing to basic probability and a few local incumbencies.

Ashcroft did polling in the last campaign, and has actually downweighted SNP numbers to account for some form of incumbency/'big party' effect. The indications are consistent across the board: the swing to SNP is larger in direct two-horse races with the Red Tories than it is in the likes of Angus - which makes sense, as the SNP have already piled up much of their realistic voting base there in previous elections.. So a uniform swing underestimates the SNP threat in the Central Belt while overstating the huge majorities you'd expect under UNS in seats the SNP already own.

Any seat which is a two-horse SNP-Red Tory race is winnable: they won't win them all though owing to basic probability and a few local incumbencies.

very true; I just like to be a wee bit cautious after numerous previous "it's our night!" election nights, have tiurned out to be nothing of the sort.

This election night has all the makings of the election night of a lifetime. Only a Yes vote in a future referendum will top it.

New populas poll out. Scottish subsample has snp on 32% and labour on 26%

:o:o:o

No, it's SNP 44%, Labour 25%.

ETA: Thats from a few days back. I don't believe for one second the SNP are down to 32%

http://www.populus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/OmOnline_Vote_24-04-2015_BPC2.pdf

Subsample is small. 183 people. And it's 41 to 32% on those who intend to vote.

"The mood is perhaps best summed up by Samantha Morton, who works at a housing association.

She told me: “For the first time ever I think my vote might actually count for something…I feel completely empowered.”

Sums it all up for me.

Just did a wee look at seats/odds. I used paddypower site and looked at seats where SNP where 1/3 on or more favourable... result returned 44 seats. Obviously SNP are favourites in more than that, but I would be ecstatic if they returned 44. Surely the bookies cant have got it this wrong. Could they??

Just did a wee look at seats/odds. I used paddypower site and looked at seats where SNP where 1/3 on or more favourable... result returned 44 seats. Obviously SNP are favourites in more than that, but I would be ecstatic if they returned 44. Surely the bookies cant have got it this wrong. Could they??

Bookies are hardly ever wrong. Which is nice.

Archived