Players not giving 100%?

As there has been numerous posts on this subject. I thought I would start this topic to obtain views on especially when there is 'nothing' to play for towards the final weeks of the season. How do managers get their players to give 100% as if the are fighting relegation/ promotion/ cup finals. From reports recently can I give some random examples of full commitment and an 'appeared ' lack of 100% commitment. Please focus more on the topic rather than disagree with my examples. Hearts, Raith, Motherwell, Ross County and QOS. Posts show that fewer fans attend these meaningless games mostly due to the lack of effort from players. We know it is very expensive to watch football especially when away from home. If we dropped our efforts at work there is a strong possibility we would be sacked or lose part of our salary. It appears to be more acceptable for players! You can include ...is it acceptable for players to raise their game when playing derbies/cup finals/ Celtic/ Rangers etc. ( should be the same effort for every match) Is there a solution? Why do players not 'bust the gut' for 90 mins every match.? We know individually they can't play brilliantly every week but no excuse for not giving 100%.

malonga is the prime example of this. he had a complete nightmare and in the end just thought "f*ck it" and sat on his backside. he knew he was having a nightmare and got himself taken off. for a pro, thats just wrong.

Four of the five teams you mention still have something to play for. - avoiding or trying to get to a play-off spot, dependant on the team.

And it could be argued that Hearts players could be playing for new contracts.

You have a good point, though, and if it's job done, it could be difficult for any manager to raise the spirits to see out the season if there's nothing left to play for.

Maybe the only way to do anything would be to stop going at "job done" stage, but that goes against the grain of supporting your team.

Four of the five teams you mention still have something to play for. - avoiding or trying to get to a play-off spot, dependant on the team.

Three of the five presumably you meant? Raith and Hearts are both playing for nothing. Raith can't even move from 6th never mind reach playoffs at either end of the table.

Three of the five presumably you meant? Raith and Hearts are both playing for nothing. Raith can't even move from 6th never mind reach playoffs at either end of the table.

He said the Hearts players are playing for contracts. In all honesty i would have thought that wpuld apply to every player at every club

Raith can move from 6th place, if they lost all their remaining games roughly 10-0 and we won all of ours we'd go 6th.

As for the question, Lee Mair chucked it during one our pumpings from Hearts. He wasn't the only one but I expected more from someone so experienced and I'm not sure he's featured for us since. Since we've been safe in this league our performances have been total pish, apart from Hibs where we apparently played quite well (I didn't make the game) so there could be an element of "raising your level for the big games" about it but I don't think that should come as a surprise for anyone.

He said the Hearts players are playing for contracts. In all honesty i would have thought that wpuld apply to every player at every club

He said "AND the Hearts players are playing for contracts" which presumably meant that they were the one he wasn't including the the four out of five remark.

Just read back page of Daily Express....Neilson 'was furious at the lack of appetite' ' I just felt that the desire wasn't there'. As said don't focus on Hearts. This could have been any manager saying this. Just confirms our views and this was a Derby!!

I think Dumbarton are perfect examples of this and results involving dumbarton have had a huge bearing on the bottom recently.

They played us and won 2-1 to guarantee survival and have now recently lost to both our closest rivals 3-0.

In fairness we've done the same in past years, looked like a team on holiday with 4 or 5 games to go, it's not fair on fans who pay to watch them every week.

I agree and to be honest i'm not sure that a new contract will be won or lost by especially good or bad performmances at the end of a season - they will look over the whole season and judge your value and contribution over the whole campaign (if they have any sense).

I am a bit torn. Fans are still paying at lot of money and do deserve to have the players in their team try their absolute best, even if they are having a bad game, a bit of effort to turn it around is enough for fans to give them a break. On the flip side, I guess these guys potentially just see it like a job and there are times that everyone just feels like chucking it, and you have days where you might be lazy and not do much. I think it depends on how badly you perform and how often, one or two games might be excused but any prolonged period of not trying would def be taking the piss.

Seen the thread title and thought this was a thread about Rangers' entire season.

New contracts, win bonuses, their own paying supporters or indeed simply professionalism in their job should be enough for all players to give 100%.

I think Dumbarton are perfect examples of this and results involving dumbarton have had a huge bearing on the bottom recently.

They played us and won 2-1 to guarantee survival and have now recently lost to both our closest rivals 3-0.

In fairness we've done the same in past years, looked like a team on holiday with 4 or 5 games to go, it's not fair on fans who pay to watch them every week.

Raith too.

Could work in our favour for the last two games though as we've Raith and QoS. QoS esp will have Alloa to play in the game that will secure a 4th placed play off spot for them and may well rest players against us in the last league game before the play offs if they get a win against Alloa.. Or not play with quite the same commitment, not wanting to risk an injury or suspension.

1994(I think) league was wrapped up weeks before the cup final. Rangers players were on 'their holidays' , in Gorams case quite literally, by the time the Cup Final came around they just couldnt up their game and United won a truly awful game 1-0

More recently. Cribari is maybe the only player i can think of who genuinely could not have given less of a f**k about his effort / performances.

're Falkirk I just done understand the teams attitude. We had a playoff place to play for as well a guaranteed 2 places available for the semi due to Kerr and Baird being unavailable.

Some players either look like they don't fancy it or just don't want to play for the manager.

1994(I think) league was wrapped up weeks before the cup final. Rangers players were on 'their holidays' , in Gorams case quite literally, by the time the Cup Final came around they just couldnt up their game and United won a truly awful game 1-0

More recently. Cribari is maybe the only player i can think of who genuinely could not have given less of a f**k about his effort / performances.

Yes I remember this. It's a good point not only does it probably mean a defeat in the match its does start a trend for future games. You can't just turn it on like a light switch. Momentum is so important.

I agree and to be honest i'm not sure that a new contract will be won or lost by especially good or bad performmances at the end of a season - they will look over the whole season and judge your value and contribution over the whole campaign (if they have any sense).

I am a bit torn. Fans are still paying at lot of money and do deserve to have the players in their team try their absolute best, even if they are having a bad game, a bit of effort to turn it around is enough for fans to give them a break. On the flip side, I guess these guys potentially just see it like a job and there are times that everyone just feels like chucking it, and you have days where you might be lazy and not do much. I think it depends on how badly you perform and how often, one or two games might be excused but any prolonged period of not trying would def be taking the piss.

I appreciate what you say about everyone maybe not fully performing in their job. However I'm sure you agree this is basically for 90 mins in front of an audience who have paid hard earned money to watch. Can you image Andy Murray, Chris Hoy or Charlie Flynn not training/playing to 100%? And it doesn't matter that they are a one man team. Imagine the team effort with another 10 of them in the team. As said before...ok you can't play brilliantly or win every game but you can give 100% for 90 mins!

True, my error. Well spotted.

Archived