Players not giving 100%?

1994(I think) league was wrapped up weeks before the cup final. Rangers players were on 'their holidays' , in Gorams case quite literally, by the time the Cup Final came around they just couldnt up their game and United won a truly awful game 1-0

More recently. Cribari is maybe the only player i can think of who genuinely could not have given less of a f**k about his effort / performances.

That game was a few days before a was born , always remember my old man telling me he was panicking my maw would have me that day or whilst he was at Hamden and then always saying he wished she fucking had because he would have had an excuse to have not bothered haha

Seen the thread title and thought this was a thread about Rangers' entire season.

New contracts, win bonuses, their own paying supporters or indeed simply professionalism in their job should be enough for all players to give 100%.

Serious question for you (or anyone else) do you give 100% at your work all the time?

Of course not. but by this rationale players only work 90 minutes a week.

Not really as they have to train etc. Even appearances at schools, media days etc are all them "working".

I'm not having a go (at anyone or the thread) but I think its interesting that we all jump to bemoan lack of 100% effort (me included) when very few of us give 100% all day every day at our own jobs.

Well exactly. They don't need to give 100% all of the time at their job, they only need to do it 90 minutes a week. So really, what you're saying doesn't hold any water.

It's also a competitive sporting working environment - totally different to sitting in a call centre or whatever. Would you expect a boxer to give 100% every day at work? Course not. Would you expect him to give 100% for a competitive fight?

That game was a few days before a was born , always remember my old man telling me he was panicking my maw would have me that day or

whilst he was at Hamden and then always saying he wished she fucking had because he would have had an excuse to have not bothered haha

It was for back to back trebles. It was fucking awful and the goal was just shambolic. Never mind we had a good laugh in Central Station pub with a group of United fans from Irvine of all places

I appreciate what you say about everyone maybe not fully performing in their job. However I'm sure you agree this is basically for 90 mins in front of an audience who have paid hard earned money to watch. Can you image Andy Murray, Chris Hoy or Charlie Flynn not training/playing to 100%? And it doesn't matter that they are a one man team. Imagine the team effort with another 10 of them in the team. As said before...ok you can't play brilliantly or win every game but you can give 100% for 90 mins!

Just thinking about posts stating do you give 100% in your job. I'm sure we would if our boss was standing watching us, a crowd of whatever size were cheering or criticising us, the TV cameras there along with Journalists. Also knowing that you will read about your work performance in tomorrow's national newspaper. You could lose your job. Oh and that bonus! Feel free to add to this! Lol!

Well exactly. They don't need to give 100% all of the time at their job, they only need to do it 90 minutes a week. So really, what you're saying doesn't hold any water.

It's also a competitive sporting working environment - totally different to sitting in a call centre or whatever. Would you expect a boxer to give 100% every day at work? Course not. Would you expect him to give 100% for a competitive fight?

I'm not saying anything, I simply posed a question.

Think my own team ( raith rovers) has downed tools after the Falkirk defeat don't understand why because no matter where you are in the league players are playingn for there future/new contracts. In Rovers case think it's worth another £70,000 finishing in 5th rather than 6th this could have a major impact on wages on offer/length of contracts.

That is a very good point. The higher your league placings the more money your club gets. Surely that would be built into players end of season bonus. And if it is. It doesn't appear to motivate them. They say they care but do players really care that lack of effort normally causes their boss to lose their job? Which will put their own job in jeopardy.

Many years ago a Fife manager took his team down a coal pit and said to them "this is what a day's work looks like and these guys working down here pay your wages by paying to see you on a Saturday". Maybe many more of them and their agents could do with this type of reality check.

Many years ago a Fife manager took his team down a coal pit and said to them "this is what a day's work looks like and these guys working down here pay your wages by paying to see you on a Saturday". Maybe many more of them and their agents could do with this type of reality check.

Absolutely brilliant! Come on which manager?

Sorry cant remember. Cloughy once did it The former football manager Brian Clough once took his players down a coal mine so that they could see the type of job they would end up in if they did not improve. Mansfeild manager Ian Greaves did the same. Can't find any mention of a Fife manager doing it. Urban myth maybe.

Archived