Kilmarnock Summer Transfer 2015

Who do you have at CB now? Just wondering what kind of competition he'll face for a starting spot.

I saw him a little bit in our friendly last night. He's got pace and height, very composed. Probably needs to bulk up a little, he's a bit lanky

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who do you have at CB now? Just wondering what kind of competition he'll face for a starting spot.

I saw him a little bit in our friendly last night. He's got pace and height, very composed. Probably needs to bulk up a little, he's a bit lanky

Connolly who will be captain and first choice. Ashcroft who is early 20s and Syme who is a teenager. O'Hara can play there too but not naturally. It's between him and Ashcroft IMO

I saw him a little bit in our friendly last night. He's got pace and height, very composed. Probably

needs to bulk up a little, he's a bit lanky

Got connely who i honestly believe is the best Centre back outside celtic, been a revoulation last year. Lee Ashcroft who i don't rate very high. Amd syme who is 18, so i'd imagine he'd start ????????

Cheers for the answers. I think he can do well for you so hopefully it's a good deal for both parties. He needs premiership experience to develop and he won't get it at Celtic now, but he's someone I can see making it at Celtic a year or two down the road,

Got connely who i honestly believe is the best Centre back outside celtic, been a revoulation last year. Lee Ashcroft who i don't rate very high. Amd syme who is 18, so i'd imagine he'd start

I think Ashcroft is a decent centre half. When he played with Connolly at the start of last season we were solid and high up the table with a good defensive record. Connolly got injured and then Ashcroft was left covering any time Pasca went for a wander. Our right back position changed often too and the overlapping way we played meant that Ashcroft was sucked out into wide areas continually. If we play a dedicated right back and keep Connolly fit then he is ok. Having said that, he isn't comfortable on the ball or distributing the ball outwith lumping it!

Someone convince me of what Stevie Smith has ever done to warrant a three-year contract?

Lavishing lengthy contracts on ageing (and in Smith's case, very injury prone) players is surely a questionable strategy from a manager with a helluva lot to prove.

Someone convince me of what Stevie Smith has ever done to warrant a three-year contract?

Lavishing lengthy contracts on ageing (and in Smith's case, very injury prone) players is surely a questionable strategy from a manager with a helluva lot to prove.

I think we are just trying to fill an historical problem position with experience. He probably won't be expected to bomb forward too much with us as we play with wingers at the moment so it looks to me that Locke is filling out a flat 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 team that he can rely on.

As with Lee Miller who signed a '2 year deal' last summer, Paul Cairney who also signed a '2 year deal' at the same time and countless others through recent history (hello Billy Berntsson, Benjamin Laurant, Scott Evans and co.) it won't be a straight two or three years. Michael Johnston is the king of clauses (as well as king of c***s, some may argue) and is renowned for working out deals with various get out clauses for the club.

Also, with the chance of a possible two or three year contract being on offer, players are more willing to sign for a smaller weekly wage to get the possible security that would come with longer contracts. See Mark Connolly e.g.

As for Smith, the few Rangers fans I've spoken to were relatively impressed with him, and as was said, there's no shame in being behind Lee Wallace in the pecking order. 'killienick' is correct also, that he'll be asked to be a defensive fullback more than a marauding one (Westlake is a similar player) and that should suit him.

Fairly happy with this signing, and very pleased with the additions in general this summer. We've done our work relatively quickly (nothing on Dundee, mind) and the players will have plenty of time to settle in before the season starts. Gary Locke has no excuses should we fail to hit the ground running this season.

Last serious injury he has was in 2010.

It seems to me like he'll be getting the selection tombola back out again.

He hasn't a clue.

Trying way too hard.

Not all of us have > 10000 season ticket holders and can afford a Director of Football to bring in quality additions from all over the world (oh, and an average striker who got released by a Greek club).

Looking at the additions we've brought in, it's generally an improvement on last season's signings. Boyd > Miller, Higginbotham > Cairney, Smith > Chantler (just). With Findlay coming in on loan we've recruited fairly well, and most Killie fans are pleased with Locke's work this summer. If the season were to start tomorrow, a team of:

MacDonald

Westlake Connolly Findlay Smith

Hamill/Robinson Slater

Obadeyi Higginbotham

Magennis Boyd

would do me just fine, thank you. Especially with Ashcroft, Kiltie, McKenzie, Johnston, Splaine etc etc all pushing for a spot in the team.

Aye it's not very 'out-the-box' or adventurous, but it's an improvement on recent years and we need a few solid, unremarkebable seasons in the top flight to help our youth and fitness plans come to fruition.

You stick to Hearts and your delusions of grandeur, we'll stick to Killie and dealing with what we've got.

Archived