Happy Kilmarnock day!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2. Continually lauded as one of the greatest championship endings ever.

Hearts 0 Kilmarnock 2. Really? Did that actually happen?

It's a damn shame that win hasn't got the praise it deserves over the years instead of almost being one of Scottish football's best kept secrets.

Crazy when you compare to this day and age, but we had actually finished second in four of the five seasons prior to '65. Incredible for a provincial club.

I see that Hearts beat you to the first of those titles but provincial clubs actually won the other four.

Happy Kilmarnock Day :) Way before my time, so I'm enjoying reading this and becoming a little more educated. Special proud memories of your club are a great thing, especially for fans of teams who don't have trophies passing through on a regular basis.(In other news, sorry but just what is it with Dundee fans? 2 of them have commented on this thread, both of them have tried to make it about them, actually including scorelines of games they won once. Get over yourselves, please.)

Shut your puss

<snip>

Fifty years later, Kilmarnock are still one of the five most recent sides to win the league championship. That is the size of the achievement and it should have been recognised on a larger scale than an internet forum, and the inevitable thirty second nod on the radio tomorrow. Let's just wait two years, and see how big a red carpet they roll out for the Lisbon Lions to compare.

There was a decent clip on the Radio Scotland Sports Report at 6.25 this morning including a fair bit of commentary. Apparently there were to be interviews with Davie Sneddon and Gary Locke at 8.25

The LOL of the goal average/goal difference is that apparently the goal average rule would have seen Hearts as champions in 1985/86.....

Disgrace that SPFL couldn't see their way to accommodate a home game tomorrow or even tonight. Apparently they were asked before the season even started,

What a day it must have been. My Papa, who passed away in 2012 not long after the LC win, told me about the day some years ago. He said he couldn't go as he was working in the morning, but he listened to the radio outside and couldn't believe we'd done it at 4:45PM. He described the team coming back to the town and the euphoria that came with it, and as a young boy this story sounded magical to me.

Our LC win was the greatest day of my life, and that night I thought of him as he wasn't able to come out and experience it with us that night. To think that in his lifetime he saw us win two Scottish cups, a League cup and the league championship - my dad's seen one league, one SC and one LC and I've seen both the cups won. I can't imagine I'll join them in seeing the league being won any time soon.

Agree that it's a total disgrace that a home game wasn't arranged for Killie tomorrow to celebrate this. It could have been marked as a great celebration, maybe get a few more bums on seats for the match. Shame.

I had no idea Killie were challenging Hearts for the title, I thought it was a pretty meaningless game for the Jambos. Wonderful scenes at the full time whistle.

Sounds like Archie McPherson doing the commentary but it surely couldn't be, could it?

Anyway, a great piece of history for Kilmarnock.

Tynecastle looking good too.

Just realised I had a Killie pie today anaw :thumsup2

Hard to believe but back then the Scottish Cup final was usually played alongside a full set of league fixtures, including this day, as Killie won the title we lifted the cup at Hampden

Celtic beat Dunfermline 3-2 but most significantly it was the first trophy the club won under the late great Jock Stein

Hard to believe but back then the Scottish Cup final was usually played alongside a full set of league fixtures, including this day, as Killie won the title we lifted the cup at Hampden

Celtic beat Dunfermline 3-2 but most significantly it was the first trophy the club won under the late great Jock Stein

It's already been briefly mentioned, which was all that was required in this thread, which is to pay tribute to Kilmarnock's achievement. You could always open a thread in the cup section about it that everybody can then ignore. Alternatively, you could delete your inappropriate post, take your spamming video and shove it up your arse, which would be preferable. Thanks in anticipation.

Good point. If only there had been some medium to celebrate Celtic's triumphs over the years. Probably worth writing a letter about it, IMO.

It's already been briefly mentioned, which was all that was required in this thread, which is to pay tribute to Kilmarnock's achievement. You could always open a thread in the cup section about it that everybody can then ignore. Alternatively, you could delete your inappropriate post, take your spamming video and shove it up your arse, which would be preferable. Thanks in anticipation.

:lol:

What a seething mess

Archived