Undecided Voters

In answer to Kyle's question I voted yes, although I was cringing at the saltire-waving rehash of September 2014 in George Square last Saturday.

I don't see the SNP having much influence on what Labour do when it comes down to it, and I see a minority Labour government as being weak and unstable, particularly because I think most of the British population will consider 'Party with most seats = Won the election'. It's what they're used to. Granny Danger seems to be misrepresenting my position as though that will persuade me over to his POV. :lol:

In any event the focus seems to be on the vagaries of our voting system but one of my key misgivings is the SNP's economic posturing/policy. If you listen to the rhetoric it seems to be based upon Keynesian economics which I'm unable to differentiate from our recent debt accumulation, and if you listen to a think-tank (which it is apparently foolish to do) it is pretty similar to Labour's.

Having regard to the foodbanks, I'd like to see analyses of their causes and users before commenting, however their use has exploded since around 2010, when a Tory-led coalition started cutting benefits and making people slightly less disabled than they previously were.

I'm not sure how you can go from taking the leap of faith and voting yes in September, when you don't think FFA is a good idea? Independence would've been like going cold turkey, this is more like a weaning off process that is not as radical and not as fraught with difficulties. Projections are projections based on information now. It's not an exact science and, if labour's posturing is to be believed, it's not something they'll agree to anyway.

I wouldn't and couldn't vote labour personally, particularly as I have fucking Sarwar as an mp. I suppose it depends what you really want from this election too. I want Scotland to be properly represented at Westminster and I don't think labour have done that in the last 40 years or so that they've been the majority party up here. I think the SNP deserve a chance. If they're shite, they can be turfed next time.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In answer to Kyle's question I voted yes, although I was cringing at the saltire-waving rehash of September 2014 in George Square last Saturday.

I don't see the SNP having much influence on what Labour do when it comes down to it, and I see a minority Labour government as being weak and unstable, particularly because I think most of the British population will consider 'Party with most seats = Won the election'. It's what they're used to. Granny Danger seems to be misrepresenting my position as though that will persuade me over to his POV. :lol:

In any event the focus seems to be on the vagaries of our voting system but one of my key misgivings is the SNP's economic posturing/policy. If you listen to the rhetoric it seems to be based upon Keynesian economics which I'm unable to differentiate from our recent debt accumulation, and if you listen to a think-tank (which it is apparently foolish to do) it is pretty similar to Labour's.

Having regard to the foodbanks, I'd like to see analyses of their causes and users before commenting, however their use has exploded since around 2010, when a Tory-led coalition started cutting benefits and making people slightly less disabled than they previously were.

I'm not try to persuade you or anyone else to do anything; I come on here to offer an opinion not to proselytise.

Any minority government will be judged by what it achieves regardless of the initial perception of its strength or weakness.

One of the things I'm looking forward to from 8 May is the media's inability to influence anything. All the nonsense they are peddling will become irrelevant and it will all come down who has the numbers.

I started out by believing that you were simply unaware of the political system in this country. I now have a better understanding - you need a reason to try and justify continuing your support for Labour. Voting labour is fair enough, lots of people do it without trying to justify it with rhoteric straight from London HQ.

I just find that attitude very strange and think its peculiar only to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. And a direct result of being part of the UK, its just Scottish cringe really.

Attitudes like the one you are espousing right now make me cringe big time, Scottish people waving Scotland flags in Scotland doesn't even register on my cringeometer.

It's mainly the co-dependent blind optimism I have a problem with rather than the nationalistic flag-waving, although I suppose patriotism is a form of co-dependent blind optimism.

I'm quite a cynical person, and my personal belief is that turning up to a big party where everyone agrees with you and reinforces your existing opinion is not a healthy thing to do. Which is why I've quite enjoyed this wee discussion.

I started out by believing that you were simply unaware of the political system in this country. I now have a better understanding - you need a reason to try and justify continuing your support for Labour. Voting labour is fair enough, lots of people do it without trying to justify it with rhoteric straight from London HQ.

You've made a few false assumptions there.

I started out intending to vote SNP, but I have been put off the idea and I'm now undecided.

I might be wrong as I honestly don't remember, but I don't think I have ever voted Labour before. I have definitely voted SNP before.

Aside from that, great post mate (aside from using the word rhoteric) x

I started out intending to vote SNP, but I have been put off the idea and I'm now undecided.

I might be wrong as I honestly don't remember, but I don't think I have ever voted Labour before. I have definitely voted SNP before.

You're not here to be convinced, you just want to be chased like the wee tart you are.

It was an election rally for a political party two weeks before a general election. What do you expect it to be like? I thought I was cynical, you're off the scale.

It was unnecessary. It wasn't exactly a Nuremberg rally and it was more palatable than the other flag wavers who converged on George Square after the referendum but it's still people making a big show about reinforcing each other's views for no apparent reason.

Also, I'm keen to hear sensible views and Kyle has made some decent points. I would agree that it's not that I want to be convinced exactly.

I am not making any assumptions, just responding to what you posted.

It's getting late so I will be prone to some lazy speeling and dramatical errors. ;)

It was unnecessary. It wasn't exactly a Nuremberg rally and it was more palatable than the other flag wavers who converged on George Square after the referendum but it's still people making a big show about reinforcing each other's views for no apparent reason.

Also, I'm keen to hear sensible views and Kyle has made some decent points. I would agree that it's not that I want to be convinced exactly.

The apparent reason is the election, you seem to be missing that.

As I've said above, if Miliband gets one less seat than Cameron a Labour-led government will find it difficult to survive.

I personally think that Miliband would refuse to form a coalition with the SNP and the SNP would be left to blink first on a Lab/Lib coalition.

The FOODBANKS!!! isn't a good argument for the SNP imo either.

The simple fact is that as long as there are more anti Tory MPS than Tory MPs on the 8th May, the Tories can be locked out of power.

Another thing to consider is. Scottish Labour have had a stronghold over Glasgow, and Scotland in general, for at least six decades. Would you say yourr constituency has improved in that time, stayed the same or got worse? Has unemployment decreased exponentially? Do people have a better quality of life? Is life expectancy longer?

If you can't, hand on heart, say yes to those questions, perhaps it's time to give someone else a crack at it? Like the SNP.

Bet you dont complain about the waving of tri-colours every week. Pride in your country is nothing to be embarased about.

Archived