The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The striker sounds promising in some repects (good scoring record for u20s), plays as a lone centre forward, big strong, holds up play, intelligent. What does that mean for the likes of Prunty and Lister? Hopefully means end of Morgan.

Defender had a bit of experience but flitted in and out of Annan team and had a spell out injured.

I thought when Black came in it was to bring on our youth players. Where does this fit in with our youth model?

Interesting to see what EWB does here, Clearly he thinks out U20's aren't good enough to step up, and he'd know given he's worked with them before and has this supposed propensity to "bring on the youth". He's obviously watched this pair and rates them. The worries are: can the striker step up to the league and will the defender play given he didn't nail down a place with Annan?

If he doesn't play them then it turns into exactly the sort of signing Bollan was culpable of: promising on paper but didn't play.....i.e. pointless.

I'd be disappointed if these were the only two we bring on on loan.

Can't understand what Wolecki is up to with this one , why offer a dozen boys between the ages of 18 to 20 two year full time deals , then bring in an 18 and 19 year old on loan, doesn't make sense

Probably because he feels that there aren't players in our youth system who are good enough to step up yet and he obviously thinks that these guys are more capable. I would trust his judgement on that seeing as he's obviously worked closely with the U20s. Both of them sound promising but hopefully that means they're ready to play first team football.

Probably because he feels that there aren't players in our youth system who are good enough to step up yet and he obviously thinks that these guys are more capable. I would trust his judgement on that seeing as he's obviously worked closely with the U20s. Both of them sound promising but hopefully that means they're ready to play first team football.

It's League One we are playing in if a 20 year old who's been offered a 2 year full time deal with the club isn't ready for the first team why offer them full time deals, sorry but IMO it doesn't make sense

How would you know if it's non competive? Youth set up is entirely about creating players and absolutely nothing to do with results. Motherwell are in a far superior youth league to ours.

Our youth set up has been productive. Watt, Stewart, O'Neill and Cadden isna healthy group of he grown players and we have Glackin and ferguson on the bench.

Sumsky came in from Hamilton total shite

Hunter from St Johnstone terrible

Smith from Dundee Utd no comment

Were they any better than what we've got , I don't think so

I've seen the boy Mackin half a dozen times this season and he's no where near the level of Richford and we let him walk out the door,the point I was trying to make is Wolecki has offered full time deals to half a dozen players in there last year at 20s if they are not good enough for the first team why offer them 2 year deals as they will be to old for 20s football

Sumsky came in from Hamilton total shite

Hunter from St Johnstone terrible

Smith from Dundee Utd no comment

Were they any better than what we've got , I don't think so

I've seen the boy Mackin half a dozen times this season and he's no where near the level of Richford and we let him walk out the door,the point I was trying to make is Wolecki has offered full time deals to half a dozen players in there last year at 20s if they are not good enough for the first team why offer them 2 year deals as they will be to old for 20s football

Scott Fraser was an U20s player at United, was brought in and was probably our best player. Same with Gasparotto. Bob McHugh another. Going back further - Ryan McCord and Grant Adam were also stand outs when they were brought in on loan. I'm sure there will be plenty of other examples of loan players who were good and some who weren't

As for offering two year deals: maybe he thinks those specific players are not yet ready for the first team but will be in the near future and so he wants to bring in players who he feels are ready NOW as any good manager should rather than harm the development of players who aren't ready yet.

Aye a bit stupid but it adds to the atmosphere. Didn't see him moaning when we were giving him it tight as he walked off at the final whistle.

sorry wrong thread - thought I was still on el buckfastico thread. Doh!!!!!

New Academy Director Alan Upton appointed. Anyone know anything about him (aside from what's in club statement)?

http://airdriefc.com/news/2016/01/academy

Makes it easier to get rid of EWB if he turns out to be a failure so a good appointment if only for that.

Bit about the scouting network was interesting though if they can set anything up.

Archived