The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anonymous internet big mouth strikes again...Zzzz

Would love to stay and chat but with all these rabid ***s kicking about and Airdrie players needing booed for being p*sh I had best be off, wouldn't want an anonymous internet big mouth accusing me of being an anonymous internet big mouth.....

I think I've whittled how I see our supporters down into 5 categories.

- The happy clappers. Getting less and less of them but they see nearly everything in a good light. Fair play to them nothing wrong with being happy and enjoying yourself, we could probably all do with taking a leaf out of their book. Although sometimes it can get a bit sickly.

- The serial moaners. The ones that are always complaining about something. We’ve all got the mate or mates who somehow manage to find something wrong with every situation. The only reason they follow Airdrie is to give themselves something else to complain about. Bit of a lost cause, although you still find yourself biting every now and again but at least you know where you stand with them.

- The middle of the road fans. Fairly content. Can generally see both sides of an argument. Accept that you’re not going to win every week and just get on with things. Can get pissed off and speak their mind if something really pisses them off. But on the whole accept its a game, have a wee moan down the boozer if we’ve lost then move on to the next game.

Then the two groups that annoy me.

- The sky sports generation. Players, managers, directors are all heroes & villains. Everything is in black & white, there are no grey areas. And they MUST have an opinion on absolutely everything. Can go from calling someone a clown to thinking they’re the bees knees within a couple of results. Likely to be daft teenagers who hate someone cause they heard a rumour or they think its the popular opinion.

And lastly the new group on the block…

- The fans with an agenda. We seem to have a few of them who’ve appeared in recent times who want the club to fail. Who are shit stirring and trying to cause problems.

I think I've whittled how I see our supporters down into 5 categories.

You missed the "any excuse not to go" lot. Although they could be an offshoot of the serial moaners.

"I won't be back as long as Kenny Black is manager"

"Good news, Black's been fired!"

"I won't be back till we're called Airdrieonians again"

"Good news, we got the name back!"

"I won't be back as long as Jimmy Boyle is manager"

"Good news, Boyle's been fired!"

"I won't be back as long as Ballantyne is chairman"

"Good news, Tom Wotherspoon has bought the club!"

"Er..."

It's good that Van Zanten is away. It's obviously not worked out for him here, good luck to him wherever he goes next.

In other news, there's a wee piece about us going full-time in ScotZine: http://www.scotzine.com/2016/02/ally-begg-the-diamonds-are-back-and-on-the-brink-of-something-special/#more-32710

What I meant was that there's a glass ceiling for part-time teams. It took Dumbarton their best season in recent history to make it into the top half of the championship.

If TW's ambition is to have us "competing" in the championship within three years history tells us being full-time gives us a far better chance of that.

There is a glass ceiling for part-time teams, but you could use part-time football to get promoted like those clubs and then go full-time to try and progress from there. Dumbarton, Alloa and Cowdenbeath didn't think that was possible so have/will come back down soon.

I'm very sceptical about whether what we are doing will work or not. But I still support the decision as with the set-up under Ballantyne we were going nowhere/backwards. We could never build a team due to only giving out one year contracts and our crowds were dropping every year. As long as we don't spend beyond our means then I think it's a worth a go.

There is a glass ceiling for part-time teams, but you could use part-time football to get promoted like those clubs and then go full-time to try and progress from there. Dumbarton, Alloa and Cowdenbeath didn't think that was possible so have/will come back down soon.

I'm very sceptical about whether what we are doing will work or not. But I still support the decision as with the set-up under Ballantyne we were going nowhere/backwards. We could never build a team due to only giving out one year contracts and our crowds were dropping every year. As long as we don't spend beyond our means then I think it's a worth a go.

I see where you're coming from however there must be some merit in getting a side together a playing a season (or two) as a full time squad before making the step up. If we changed from P/T to F/T between divisions we'd have to overhaul 70% of the squad which surely wouldn't go very well.

Agree with your second paragraph. As long as we live within our means we will be able to return to P/T football in a few years of it doesn't work out without putting the club in financial bother.

I fully support the decision to go full time provided it is not a return to the phoney full time set up that we had last time around, with players reputedly spending more time on the golf course than on the training ground and still managing to get beaten by part time teams due to goals being conceded in the last 15mins, a period of the game when we should have been showing the benefits of a full time set-up.

Full time should mean full time, thorough training and fitness regime, practise games, set piece practise, theory sessions, analysis of opponents and previous games and last but by no means least getting out into the community on an official basis to spread the message among the schools and community. This all needs support staff, will this be provided??

I fully support the decision to go full time provided it is not a return to the phoney full time set up that we had last time around, with players reputedly spending more time on the golf course than on the training ground and still managing to get beaten by part time teams due to goals being conceded in the last 15mins, a period of the game when we should have been showing the benefits of a full time set-up.

Full time should mean full time, thorough training and fitness regime, practise games, set piece practise, theory sessions, analysis of opponents and previous games and last but by no means least getting out into the community on an official basis to spread the message among the schools and community. This all needs support staff, will this be provided??

This new setup seems like the latter. Guys who are actually here for football, not just the ability to go to 'Kushion' or other Glasgow nightclubs and say "I'm a footballer".

It's good that Van Zanten is away. It's obviously not worked out for him here, good luck to him wherever he goes next.

In other news, there's a wee piece about us going full-time in ScotZine: http://www.scotzine.com/2016/02/ally-begg-the-diamonds-are-back-and-on-the-brink-of-something-special/#more-32710

A reasonable read. Don't see much of that site after the fucking roaster who started it decided to block me on Twitter for having the temerity to disagree with him.

A reasonable read. Don't see much of that site after the fucking roaster who started it decided to block me on Twitter for having the temerity to disagree with him.

The 'zine is one of the worst Twitter accounts going (and the website is pretty horrendous too). I've also been blocked by big Andy Muirhead on Twitter after posting a link to this world-class exchange on several occasions - CLICK.

Still the best thing I've ever read on Pie and Bovril.

The 'zine is one of the worst Twitter accounts going (and the website is pretty horrendous too). I've also been blocked by big Andy Muirhead on Twitter after posting a link to this world-class exchange on several occasions - CLICK.

Still the best thing I've ever read on Pie and Bovril.

Agreed, it was pretty horrendous while I still had access to it and I did like to debate some of the points he made. Don't even remember being particularly abusive when I was blocked. I did like the earlier exchanges he used to have with fans of a certain club on twitter when being confronted with accusations of being a bankrupt fraudster.

And that's a quality car crash of a thread.

Archived