The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's actually got the looks of a not-bad squad in the making. Much though I pine for the quality we had when we last won this league, I know we'll not see that again for some time. A good couple of centre-backs, a creative midfielder and two goalscoring strikers (at least one in the approx. 15 goals a season bracket) and it could look tasty indeed.

We had a good team on paper at the start of this season and the bookies had us challenging for the title. Sure, we've got a good crop of talent coming through but it won't take long for Airdrie to ruin them.

Don't build your hopes up.

We've had a "good team on paper" for the last how many seasons?

What worries me is that we seem to be going down the Stenhousemuir route when they were taken over by Scott Booth of periodically phasing out our best players, now they've filled their ranks with hungry youngsters (Ross Meechan being one that I can remember as being a standout) mixed with experience - Gilhaney, McMenamin... Not that it's got them anywhere other than three 90th minute winners over us.

I think we should be looking to keep at least Cox, Crighton and I'd give Lister another year, the difference with him in the team is unmeasurable.

I'm sure it'll come together, and I'm hoping the Q&A tomorrow night will go a long way toward pacifying the critics and keeping the happy clappers clapping.

Read a worrying post on Facebook about Steven Presley possibly being manager next season. When I sayed the last thing we need is unsettling rumours. And the reply was it wasn't a rumour. Has anyone heard anything

Posted about this on the Danny Lennon thread. He's at fleetwood just now I'm sure so hopefully he's not coming to Airdrie

You've got the wrong end of the stick there. Somebody posted about Watt signing for Livingston, someone said "have you heard about Elvis?" as in "that's old news", and someone made a joke about Pressley because his nickname is Elvis.

Hopefully all the main critics on here are out in force tonight and asking the difficult questions that they feel need answered. If you snipe on here and don't challenge them tonight then you have no credibility to ever be listened to again.

I'm in Aberdeen overnight so I'll not be going.

Would hope those that can make it will as there are plenty tough questions that need answering.

I assume someone will be taking minutes.

You've got the wrong end of the stick there. Somebody posted about Watt signing for Livingston, someone said "have you heard about Elvis?" as in "that's old news", and someone made a joke about Pressley because his nickname is Elvis.

Thank f'k. Thankfully a few others have also been caught out.

As touchedbymadness says tonight will be nothing more than a PR exercise, every answer to every question will be spun to better the appearance of the club, even if they have made an arse of something there is no way they are going to admit to it and why would they? By all accounts they are struggling to keep up public opinion/ convince the sceptics they are doing a good job so no way they are going to make it worse for themselves.

There will be a live feed on twitter tonight, and questions can be asked via that medium, or left in advance at Facebook, the Stomp etc. Or pm me if you want.

I have no idea how twitter works, or this periscope mallarkey either.

Last few meetings I have been at were with Bollan last year and Ballantyne the year before I think. Minutes were taken and published, and than actually brought up by JB as there was something he didn't like in them.

As I have said before, these meetings are really only as good as whoever attends and asks questions and pushes for answers. Chlamydia Kid are you going ? Pesadilla where is the questions you wanted asked last time and I will get them asked tonight.

As touchedbymadness says tonight will be nothing more than a PR exercise, every answer to every question will be spun to better the appearance of the club, even if they have made an arse of something there is no way they are going to admit to it and why would they? By all accounts they are struggling to keep up public opinion/ convince the sceptics they are doing a good job so no way they are going to make it worse for themselves.

Without wishing to cause offence, if that's your attitude then why bother even discussing it here or anywhere else?

I get that you and others, such as touchedbymadness, might not be able to attend due to personal circumstances but others will be going.  Surely it's better to encourage them to ask hard questions and not just take answers at face value.  If anyone hear has facts that counter the club's narrative then why not share them tonight and have them as widely discussed as possible.

I can remember the passion displayed by some Airdrie fans during the era of KPMG, Bill Barr, Nimmo etc. and a refusal to be fobbed off.  Is that another side of Airdrie that died in the past?

Without wishing to cause offence, if that's your attitude then why bother even discussing it here or anywhere else?

I get that you and others, such as touchedbymadness, might not be able to attend due to personal circumstances but others will be going.  Surely it's better to encourage them to ask hard questions and not just take answers at face value.  If anyone hear has facts that counter the club's narrative then why not share them tonight and have them as widely discussed as possible.

I can remember the passion displayed by some Airdrie fans during the era of KPMG, Bill Barr, Nimmo etc. and a refusal to be fobbed off.  Is that another side of Airdrie that died in the past?

Never said the questions shouldn't be asked, by all means they should be taken to task over some of the goings on at the club recently. All I am saying is that no matter what you ask they will spin it make you think you are wrong or that all is well and nothing to see here so move along.

All I want is the club to be winning games and offer some value for money, the product on the park does not match the price paid at the gate but that's not something new. I hope the new regime do get everything sorted and we see youngsters regularly coming through the ranks because at this level of football it's seeing exciting prospects coming through the academy that actually get you excited about watching the team, for example Cadden and Ferguson this year, but in years gone by Watt and Coogans and all the way back to when a young lad McLaren was being scouted by Newcastle. Want them to succeed but they need to stop making baffling decisions.

People need to go and push for answers then. 

The club never asked for this. It was pushed for by the Trust on the back of the many comments that had been made on the various message boards etc. It will only be a spin exercise if people go and sit in abject silence saying nothing. People with apparent inside knowledge of things i.e. Alan Love etc will hopefully go and push the issue so that transparency is there for all to see.

If I KNOW I am right about something and ask someone about the issue and they tell me lies then I would pick holes in their answer to show they were lying.

If the club are lying then pick holes in their story publicly and prove they are lying.

You can't just say "ach theyll just spin a line". Take issue with their line if it is nonsense and point out why it is nonesense.

Archived