Forfar vs Alloa

Guest bernardblack

Yes! Yes! Yes! Great result tonight, even though Alloa played the better football Forfar were so much stronger and much more organised. Thought the back four and Douglas were outstanding (Travis is quickly turning into my hero). Omar, Foxy, Swankie and Sanny were all really impressive too.

Two hilariously bad performances tonight, one from Gibson the other from the ref. Christ he was bad. He missed/refused to give so many small fouls and only seemed to ever blow if it was a totally blatant incident.

Chopra kicking the ball out towards the corner flag at the end was a total minter on his part, the fat mess that he is.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a cracking result for Forfar. Alloa will need to approach the 2nd leg in the same way we did at the Recs. We went into it two goals down, played with 4 attacking midfielders behind a front 2 and we could and should have taken it to extra time.

I thought after the semi final at the Glebe that Alloa were destined to stay up, but the following two performances have shown that they are there for the taking after all.

Through gritted teeth, Forfar deserve to go up. If they manage it, it will be a major rebuilding job in the summer for them.

Well, that was impressive, in some way. I guess. Felt like an entertaining game, at least. Well done to Forfar - looked as good as any of the part-time sides I've seen this season, and better than a few of the full-timers too.

There have been a few opposition fans during the season who've wondered why Gibson ended up as our second choice keeper - there's your answer. That's how he was in the first half-dozen games or so, and McDowell looked a solid shot-stopper by comparison. The shape of our defence was terrible in general tonight; all over the shop at times. Thought we looked OK apart from that, and I couldn't believe that we hadn't scored before Benny's header finally went in. Chopra's finishing is officially terrible now; his overall play makes him worth having, but he cannae score to save himself.

The ref was terrible for both sides; we just happened to get the worst of it. I think Liam did himself no favours at all with that silly (and obvious) wee dive early on; the ref gave us nothing after that

Jim Duffy is an utter roaster. McCord our MoM? His passing was terrible today, aside for the set-up to that honking Chopra miss. Hetherington was the real stand-out, although the way Benny kept himself going after that second goal is also worth a mention. Would've been easy for him to retreat into himself after being dominated in the air so easily, but he seemed more determined than ever afterwards. We'd have been much worse off without him today.

Losing 2-1 would've seemed fair to me, considering our mistakes, but that third goal really rankles. It came at the end of a long period we'd been on top of, and was as soft as you're likely to see. Frankly furious about it and, whether or not we go down, there'd better be a big improvement by Sunday or...I'll...do hee-haw about it and renew my book like nothing ever happened *sigh*

We'll see you at East End next season

He looked a nervous wreck and his jumping up on the spot for 3rd goal was odd n obscure. Weve had our few share over the Years,Feel your pain...

Ps. Why was their a red.white n blue flag in a good looking forfar support...

Dundee fans who follow Rab Douglas

Good to see the famous getting a mention yet again despite not even being involved in the play-offs.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1431546263.447031.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1431546279.672307.jpg

ach away. The only famous thing at Station Park tonight was Forfar's celebrated Teletubby. Got ideas above yer station, you lot.

He looked a nervous wreck and his jumping up on the spot for 3rd goal was odd n obscure. Weve had our few share over the Years,Feel your pain...

Ps. Why was their a red.white n blue flag in a good looking forfar support...

It's a bunch of Dundee supporters who have been coming along when their mob are not playing. All welcome at Station Park.

Good lead to take into the second leg at alloa . I fancy us to score at least one against that shambles of a defence and goalkeeper . Alloa looked decent but their near passing often got them no where .

Still all to play for as an early alloa goal changes things drastically .

Should be a big forfar crowd through and a good day out

I fancy us to score at least one against that shambles of a defence and goalkeeper.

In fairness to the defence it was a makeshift defence. Docherty has played mostly in centre midfield this year and only played left back a couple of times. Why Lennon played him at right back when we had Ferguson on the bench is baffling. Same with young Hetherington. He has played maybe less than five times this season in midfield and to see him at left back was really weird considering we had our first choice left back on the bench. A truly bizarre decision. The keeper is a shambles though.

Well, that was pleasant - apart from waking our 2 daughters as I "welcomed" Sanny's goal! We looked incredibly well organised with a sense of genuine threat going forward. However, the tie isn't done - Alloa showed enough in terms of possession and quality on the ball to suggest that there will be plenty of squeaky arse moments on Sunday for us.

Watched on BBC Alba - frantically piped the images and sounds from my laptop to telly as discovered that BT TV do not have BBC Alba at around 7.28pm. Was Jim Duffy the best that Alba could do? Also, interesting to see the likes of Gary Bollan there - understand Hartley and some dude in a Brechin City blazer, but Bollan? Perhaps looking to get Chopra in next season to make him appear slender.

Is there any space on the terracing at Recreation (not pandering to this sponsored-ground guff) Park for a gargantuan Loonatics On Tour flag?

Oh, and CARROTS!

That last minute goal really felt like a killer blow and it's going to be extremely difficult on Sunday now, especially with the experience throughout that Forfar team.

If we don't have a settled defence again then we won't have the foundations to go out and play as attacking as we would like and we'd be open to conceding again. This all comes down to what Forfar decide to do as well of course. They could quite easily come to Alloa and try to protect what they have, but that probably wouldn't suit us either. After scoring three goals so easily I doubt they'd do that anyway, they should really be going for our jugular and kill the tie by trying to get the first goal.
We've had two 3-0 home wins since Lennon arrived but I reckon we would need the same personnel available to have a chance of achieving that again on Sunday, which is unlikely unfortunately.

Started well again and good to get the early goal, I thought the majority of the 1st half was played in the Alloa half and we had a few chances, particularly when Swankie & Denholm looked to be in on goal but took poor touches. That said, a great save by Rab from Buchanan and I thought we were a bit unfortuante with the disallowed goal however looking at it again, it was a clear push.

Weathered the storm well at the beginning of the 2nd half and looked a constant threat on the break. Was surprised how poor the Alloa keeper and back four were, they looked really disjointed and this gives us hope we can nick a goal or 2 on Sunday which should kill the tie.

Far from over and Sunday is going to be a tough game, hopefully we can do it. Swankie will be a huge miss, hoepfully Hilson is 100% fit.

Thought we played well overall, was disappointed when Alloa got their goal back but what a great feeling to get the third right at the end.

The ghost of East End Park still lingers in my mind but hopefully we can bust it on Sunday. Tie is very definitely not over. If Gibson is in goals on Sunday should be a shoot on sight policy, he was horrific throughout last night.

Gutted that Swankie’s back heel was cleared off the line, what a goal that would have been, he’ll be a big miss for Sunday but a fresh Dale Hilson to replace him is a pretty good situation to be in.

Michael Kennedy three first team games played, all play-off games with positive results, hope he makes it 4, very composed for a young man so early into his career. For the talk of Forfar’s lack of pace it was Kader, for me, who had the key to causing problems for Alloa with his pace.

No danger we’ll go to Alloa to sit on the lead, don’t have the personnel to do that, do think we’ll look to use the pace of Kader, Denholm and Hilson though.

Delighted with that. Thoroughly deserved the two-goal lead in the end.

You can see Alloa's quality and ability, and they will be very dangerous on Sunday. Our defence held them at bay for the majority of the game, but when they did get through Douglas made two great stops and Benedictus scored. So we have to be at our best.

Omar's pace was a big asset, and Swankie was sensational. He'll be a big, big miss but Hilson coming in isn't a bad replacement. Hilson is perfect for defending a lead too; he's explosive on the break and him, Kader and Denholm (if all three start) will be key.

I thought we got a bit lucky with the disallowed goal, contact looked minimal but those watching on TV were all quite sure it was a good decision so I'll defer to them.

Kennedy was brilliant, that's his third game of senior football and he looked as good as anybody on that park. This lad should be heavily involved next season wherever we are.

I just don't see us sitting back on Sunday, Dick doesn't play that kind of football and the squad doesn't fit that style. I hope he goes for: Douglas; Travis, Malcolm, Dods, Kennedy; Young; Kader, Fotheringham, Dale, Hilson; Templeman. Get Young disrupting, Foxy and Dale distributing, Hilson and Kader breaking at pace.

I'm confident that we can do it from here. There's no way we won't score a goal, and I just can't see us conceding three if we keep 11 men on the park and continue our form. But, it won't be easy and it's going to very, very nervous until we get a goal on Sunday.

Amazing result for Forfar - banish all thoughts of your collapse at East End. If you go up you might want to send us a few of your cast offs as you strengthen for the Championship- eg Douglas, Swankie, Dods...

Alloa's thumping of Cowden on the last league day must give them the confidence to turn it round though. Nice to be watching from the side rather than worrying about my own team in these games after the last couple of seasons.

Archived