Forfar vs Alloa

Guest bernardblack

Forfar do have the highest average age of any squad playing in the SPFL, 28.8 years with the next closest being St Johnstone on 28.5. The closest in League One is Peterhead whose average is 28.0.

The patter therefore may be used legitimately.

You'd never know I'm on study leave, would you :lol:

For maths by any chance? Haha.

It's a real disparity in ages in our squad. They're either 40 or 20.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much ado about nothing really. and not sure why this is in quotes as it clearly wasn't what was said. Perhaps you're going on what's been said by others in the past.

Malcolm (35) and Dods (39) were Forfar's centre half pairing for the first leg versus Stranraer and Malcolm sat out the second leg due to suspension. I'd imagine this is what Waspie was referring to. If you were to include Rab Douglas to those two then the centre of the Forfar defence has nearly 120 years between them. Whether Malcolm plays or not, the ages of your defenders and goalkeeper don't matter too much as they've obviously served you well to get your team into this current situation.

View the quotes as more like air quotes. I know that's not what the gentleman said, but it's what we've heard all season.

Having "such an old defence" hasn't stopped us getting this far has it? It's just a wee bit irritating because we're far more than an old defence - which isn't even what we play half the time.

I shall quote our effervescent goalkeeper: "Would you prefer an aged malt whisky or cheap blended?"

The 5.30 ko on Sunday is pretty awful, was it not 4pm last year with Cowdenbeath and Dunfermline?

Yes and the same time the year before that with our final against Dunfermline!

View the quotes as more like air quotes. I know that's not what the gentleman said, but it's what we've heard all season.

Having "such an old defence" hasn't stopped us getting this far has it? It's just a wee bit irritating because we're far more than an old defence - which isn't even what we play half the time.

I shall quote our effervescent goalkeeper: "Would you prefer an aged malt whisky or cheap blended?"

I'm sure you are indeed "far more than just an old defence". I've actually highlighted on the Alloa forum the threat in particular from a few of your attackers. The defence themselves have obviously done well given you came so close to the title. I don't however think it's too outlandish to suggest we should be looking to use pace and width to try and stretch a defence which has often this season been marshalled by a 39 year old and 35 year old. Perhaps you are a little touchy about this particular issue? As it is, I think the loss of Doyle will significantly reduce our chances of stretching the defence anyway, regardless of the age of the defenders.

Guest bernardblack

Dods will push the average up a bit.

Does Dunlop give anyone else the fear? Walking yellow card that boy.

I think the 5:30 KO is partially to accomodate the SPFL darlings SEVCO, as their game is being shown at 3 or 3:30 on BT sport this Sunday.

Could you imagine the logistics if it had been either Brechin or Forfar against Stranraer?

Which was pretty much the crux of what I went on to say.

I wouldn't get irritated by opposition supporters berating (if that's what they're doing) the age of a successful defender, or any player for that matter. Derek Young (35 later this month) is in your midfield and is still a quality player. We had Darren Young whilst QoS had Derek and both had the experience and talent necessary to not only cope at that level, but excel and make a vital difference at important times.

Craig Valentine is 44 and was at our Cup Final with Livingston last month. I wish he'd been playing!

I'm sure you are indeed "far more than just an old defence". I've actually highlighted on the Alloa forum the threat in particular from a few of your attackers. The defence themselves have obviously done well given you came so close to the title. I don't however think it's too outlandish to suggest we should be looking to use pace and width to try and stretch a defence which has often this season been marshalled by a 39 year old and 35 year old. Perhaps you are a little touchy about this particular issue? As it is, I think the loss of Doyle will significantly reduce our chances of stretching the defence anyway, regardless of the age of the defenders.

I meant the post as lightheartedly as possible mate, chill eh.

The nonsense that gets posted on here and I'm taken to task the first time I comment in that tone... Never again haha.

I meant the post as lightheartedly as possible mate, chill eh.

The nonsense that gets posted on here and I'm taken to task the first time I comment in that tone... Never again haha.

If you're going to take people to task then retreat when they respond then that's probably for the best ;). Seriously, nothing wrong with a bit of discussion and debate, isn't that what the forum is for?

Station Park re-brand post-175-0-34005600-1431458654_thumb.jpg

Buzzing for this tomorrow! Hopefully a positive result and something to take to the game on Sunday. Travelling down to Alloa at the weekend so fingers crossed it will be for a promotion party!

Whoo-hoo finally getting to a game this season! Coming up with my Wasp supporting pal, Joe.

Personal stuff kept me from Station Park this year...now...in for the kill.

3-1 The Loons.

I'm sure all self respecting Forfar fans already know about this, but if not you can take 30 seconds or so to read about the other 'Loons' HERE (shameless blog plug, sorry…)

Cheers!

That Minnesota badge is spectacular. Looks quite similar to the Palermo crest.

Archived