Best player of all time

I was about to comment Yashin, changed Goalkeeping completely. Ahead of his time similar to Pele.

I'd also suggest Neuer. His all round game is better than any other goalkeeper I've ever watched. I grew up watching Schmeichel and Kahn, more recently Buffon but Neuer is better than the lot and got years ahead of him to accomplish more.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has to be Messi. Grew up watching Hagi, Baggio etc and were terrific, but Messi is something else. Watch him without the ball, he doesn't even do anything - hardly runs then dances round folk and scores great goals.

-1 for the sleeve tatt though. That looks horrific on wee Lio.

How many people will have actually seen Yashin play?

Theres apparently film planned about him

The film that I've seen of Yashin, he was absolutely shocking. Like really really shite, he let a trickler of a corner go in without getting a touch. A fucking corner.

The film that I've seen of Yashin, he was absolutely shocking. Like really really shite, he let a trickler of a corner go in without getting a touch. A fucking corner.

Tbf theres footage of Pele missing an open goal

Tbf theres footage of Pele missing an open goal

Yeah this was the whole highlights of a World Cup, there was loads of footage of him and he didn't look like a competent keeper at all. My dad had always said he was the best keeper ever but after we watched it he was extremely shocked by how bad he looked.

• 2 weeks later...

True, but there no real argument against the fact that nobody has ever performed on a football pitch at the level of those two.

I guess it depends what type of football you are talking about. With regards to modern football - where 'fouling' consists of light mis-tackles and primadonna-like activity is part and parcel of the game - then players like Messi and Ronaldo reign supreme. But, if we are talking about the type of football that I (and, I think, many other Scottish fans) enjoy i.e. brutish, physical, gritty determination, love for the badge, two hours of mindless tribalism on a wet saturday afternoon, etc etc then I think Messi and Ronaldo are incredibly boring. Much rather watch the Dundee derby, say, than Barcelona vs. Arsenal or some such other pish. Messi and Ronaldo couldn't play this type of football, even if they tried.

So yes, what I am trying to say is that Michael Higdon is my best player of all time nomination.

Archived