Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love the fact that Blair is still spouting his message in the press saying anyone but Corbyn but also admits that his gospel seems to be falling on deaf ears and making more people go for Corbyn

Tony - wee piece of advice pal - if you say stuff and then realise people are not listening stop frigging talking !!!! You and Broon just love the sound of your own voices talking total and utter shite - you have been found out and the people are ignoring you and your ego can't stand that

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also feel Corbyn can't win an election but will be disappointed if he doesn't win.The connection between New Labour and now needs to be broken . Hopefully he will usher in a new centre left Labour party that can capture enough ground to hold power.Not holding my breath though.

At least the political debate will be a bit sharper if Corbyn wins.

I have thought for a while that a left leaning Labour party would gather up a bit of support.

The youth of today seem to have been steamrollered into some form of 'nodding donkeys' not much fire in their bellies to fight for a fairer society.

Interesting that in the whole pro-nuclear diatribe he hasn't actually provided one reason why keeping nuclear weapons is a good idea. Other than, errr... just because.

So with 5 days left until Corbyn's inauguration labour's election, it's looking pretty cut and dry that Corbyn will win.

Bookies odds for the candidate;

Best price you'll get for Corbyn is 1/4. This not far off what you'd have gotten for Salmond to win Gordon :lol: Most of the respectable bookies have him at around 1/5. They think he's waltzing it.

Cooper is the current second favourite at 6/1 ish. Some have her at around 9/2. I saw her with odds of around 3/1 last week, around about the time she came out so strongly in favour of refugees coming to the UK. However, she was pretty woeful in the debate that Corbyn won, so she's drifting back out again.

The former odds on favourite Burnham is now in a bit of a sorry state at 8/1. I've seen him at 7s and 15/2. I think that he might still finish second.

Kendall is no where. You can get 150/1 on her if you're feeling very ambitious :lol; .... Tories taking seats in Glasgow is around 100/1, so it just shows you how high the books rate her chances.

Only 3 days until the ballot closes - you've got to wonder if we'll see Blair, Brown and the gang have one last, desperate attempt to smear Corbyn. Their interventions have only boosted him so far, so they'd probably be advised to just keep quiet and pray that there's some kind of miracle and one of the their chosen candidates win.

Looking more broadly at Labour's prospects, you've got to wonder what good Corbyn will do for the UK wide labour movement. The 'moderate' wing of the party has done nothing but smear him all the way through this leadership campaign and a lot of their MPs have tried to sabotage him at almost every step. Could this lead to a split in labour?

Corbyn needs to do in England and Wales what the referendum/the SNP have managed in Scotland. So many more people who didn't vote previously are now engaged with the political system both at Westminster and Holyrood and I think that's Corbyn's only real hope. The Tory/Labour marginals - the 20,000 voters or however many it is that usually decide the elections - are unlikely to be swayed back to labour by Corbyn's 'Marxism' but he could win elections by mobilising the millions of people who don't vote all over the UK. He is unlikely to win back much of the pro-indy Scottish vote, certainly not in the short term, so I think he needs to turn his focus to England and Wales.

Could be quite funny seeing a 'moderate' in Scotland when they probably require a left winger and a left winger UK wide when they probably require a 'moderate' :lol:

Good points.

It's been said before but it bears repeating that there are an awful lot of Labour MPs who are either going to have to choose between choking down a nice big plate of humble pie or getting to f**k.

Two things are certain. Any result other than Corbyn will be a clear fix and the outcome of the vote, whatever it is, will cause many, many #scenes.

Weirdly looking forward to this.

Most likely scenario - Corbyn Wins - Dramatic rule change means Labour MPs immediately punt him and elect their own leader - fall out - hilarity for 2, 3 months ensues.

I'd put the chances of him being in the job 6+ months around about 10%.

Massive positive for Democracy that he will win though, most of the other candidates give me the shivers (especially Kendall who is the worst of the very worst type of politician).

I genuinely don't understand the HUUUUGE f**k up Labour are making over this.

Surely it's better (for Labour) to support whoever wins and try to put the past few months behind them, rather than making ANOTHER laughing stock of themselves?

I think labour are more or less writing off the 2020 election already, which is a pretty depressing state of affairs. Rather than giving the guy who's captured the public's imagination a chance, they'd rather side line themselves and enter into a period of time in the shadows. This happened with the Tories in the late nineties/early noughties and took the Iraq war, a financial collapse and Gordon Brown to shift them. Labour are in danger of going the same way and really require to be pulling in the same direction rather than away from one another.

I've got to be honest - I'm not particularly keen on Corbyn. I like his anti austerity message and he answers questions directly in a pretty unambiguous manner, but I just can't shift an uneasy feeling with him. I know a lot of the smear stuff is exactly that... I just can't put my finger on why.

It's been said before but it bears repeating that there are an awful lot of Labour MPs who are either going to have to choose between choking down a nice big plate of humble pie or getting to f**k.

Supect they will either find a procedural way to get rid of him or the party will split. Will be entertaining to watch it all unfold.

Archived