Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scottish labour aren't really the issue here - it's UK labour that are. Uk labour seem determined to vote the opposite way to the SNP on pretty much any Tory policy. Any labour friendly SNP amendment is met with abstaining or voting against. There's a lot of bitterness between the parties at the moment, but on most things they should be on the same side at Westminster. Think both parties need to grow up and work together, frankly.

This is what the Blairites are most scared of, good riddance to them.

People to the left find labours implosion funny because for years now labour have been shifting the goal post more and more to the right. Now Scotland know they can do better than just vote labour to defeat the tories and labour hasn't taken it well.

The thing is though labour only have themselves to blame. They said this, that and the next thing about yes supporters. They then tried to bring yes voters back to labour when they realised how much support they had lost, especially to SNPs gain. When they were met with a laugh they turned to SNPbad tactics and have just set no policies whatsoever, have done nothing to show yes voters there respect can be gained again and tried to show a sense of entitlement.

Scotland, fair enough. I'm talking about some finding the thought of Labour imploding south of the border as funny.

• 2 weeks later...

Up until about this time last week I was thinking Corbyn wasn't actually as bad as I worried he might be. That changed this week.

His inexperience and inability to judge the public mood has been highlighted.

I feel a bit sorry for him with regards to the Livingstone situation. Ken's comments were very offensive and under normal circumstances he would be dealt with harshly. Corbyn can't afford to though as he basically has three significant allies in the PLP, Livingstone, McDonnell and Abbot and that's basically it. To get rid of one would weaken him significantly.

I really hope Dan Jarvis is ready to take over.

Up until about this time last week I was thinking Corbyn wasn't actually as bad as I worried he might be. That changed this week.

I feel a bit sorry for him with regards to the Livingstone situation. Ken's comments were very offensive and under normal circumstances he would be dealt with harshly. Corbyn can't afford to though as he basically has three significant allies in the PLP, Livingstone, McDonnell and Abbot and that's basically it. To get rid of one would weaken him significantly.

Wouldn't make a difference tbh. Labour had a chance to really unite behind Corbyn, and present a real party of the left. Instead they descended into infighting. Luring him to the senate and knifing him in the back now would disgust the significant numbers of people who joined up because of Corbyn, and give the media even more of a field day than they're having.

Labour are in a lose-lose situation. Stick with Corbyn and they'll lose the next election (because England thinks he's a terrible, leftie, immigrant-loving danger to Blighty); eject him and put in someone else and they'll lose the next election (because the party will be once again torn apart, with the new left-leaning supporters turning on the "red Tory" PLP conspirators).

I cannot say I feel sorry for Labour. This is a problem years in their own making.

It's only glorious from a parochial position. For those in England and Wales they are going to be left with no credible alternative to the Tories. There is a slim opportunity for a left of centre party to be established in rUK but the almost inevitable infighting is likely to kill that opportunity stone dead.

It's only glorious from a parochial position. For those in England and Wales they are going to be left with no credible alternative to the Tories. There is a slim opportunity for a left of centre party to be established in rUK but the almost inevitable infighting is likely to kill that opportunity stone dead.

It's hard to sympathise when they inflicted the Tories on the rest of us by giving them a majority. If those in England and Wales who object to the Tories are rudderless, they need to seriously look to a credible alternative or at least voice a real desire for change. There seems to be a real apathy, which amounts to no more than whinging about the Tories but doing no more than putting a cross next to Labour every five years, no matter how incompetent, Tory-esque or useless Labour might be.

Scotland was, of course, guilty of this too for decades.

Ken Livingstone isn't an MP and so isn't a member of the PLP. He's a member of Labour's NEC.

Jeremy Corbyn is an absolute utter disaster. I don't really follow threads in this forum so don't know if this has been discussed but he's disingenuous, slippery and dishonest about his proposals. He's been called upon this week to respond to events in Paris, Lebanon, Syria and just about everything he's said has sounded the wrong note. He either doesn't want people to know his views or he's so inept at communicating them that he's unable to deliver a coherent message. The hard-left / far-left are a specatacularly unattractive group to the electorate and we're starting to see why.

The poll results out today are an utter holocaust. We saw in the General Election that polling can be wrong but if it's half as bad as this in the next few elections then he has to resign.

A few highlights from the ComRes

Scotland

SNP - 54%

Conservative - 16%

Labour - 14%

North East

Labour - 43%

Conservative - 42%

UKIP - 12%

Yorkshire & Humber

Conservative - 42%

Labour - 38%

UKIP - 10%

West Midlands

Conservative - 43%

Labour - 26%

UKIP - 22%

East Midlands

Conservative - 49%

Labour - 26%

UKIP - 18%

South East

Conservative - 55%

Labour - 18%

UKIP - 15%

Unless the polls are majorly wrong Labour could be holed below the waterline.

Ken Livingstone isn't an MP and so isn't a member of the PLP. He's a member of Labour's NEC.

Jeremy Corbyn is an absolute utter disaster. I don't really follow threads in this forum so don't know if this has been discussed but he's disingenuous, slippery and dishonest about his proposals. He's been called upon this week to respond to events in Paris, Lebanon, Syria and just about everything he's said has sounded the wrong note. He either doesn't want people to know his views or he's so inept at communicating them that he's unable to deliver a coherent message. The hard-left / far-left are a specatacularly unattractive group to the electorate and we're starting to see why.

The poll results out today are an utter holocaust. We saw in the General Election that polling can be wrong but if it's half as bad as this in the next few elections then he has to resign.

A few highlights from the ComRes

Scotland

SNP - 54%

Conservative - 16%

Labour - 14%

North East

Labour - 43%

Conservative - 42%

UKIP - 12%

Yorkshire & Humber

Conservative - 42%

Labour - 38%

UKIP - 10%

West Midlands

Conservative - 43%

Labour - 26%

UKIP - 22%

East Midlands

Conservative - 49%

Labour - 26%

UKIP - 18%

South East

Conservative - 55%

Labour - 18%

UKIP - 15%

Unless the polls are majorly wrong Labour could be holed below the waterline.

As much as I despise the Tories, that's utterly comical. It will take Lolbour years, maybe a decade-plus to recover from their current shambles.

Fucking pleasing.

If a general election was a year away, then Labour should be rightly worried by these figures. However, Corbyn still has over 4 years to fix things and prove he's a viable alternative. He does have policies which will resonate with most people, but he's yet to make them clear as to what they are.

After a discussion about Labour in my office, I found out that of the three other folk in there, one is a massive Tory, the other two vote Labour more often than not but won't vote Labour as long as Corbyn is leader.

:lol:

This is in Cumbria btw.

Archived