Holyrood '16 polls and predictions

Crùbag

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

200px-2015UKelectionMapScotland.svg.png

Yet we're governed by a Conservative government.

That's a direct result of the majority of Scots voting No in the referendum and choosing to be governed by HM Government in Westminster. Why won't you respect the decision of your fellow Scots even if you disagree with them? 

There isn't a democratic deficit there though. No more so than other parts of Britain who don't vote Conservative.

Scotland is a country, not a part of Britain.

That's a direct result of the majority of Scots voting No in the referendum and choosing to be governed by HM Government in Westminster. Why won't you respect the decision of your fellow Scots even if you disagree with them? 

You wear your Uncle Tam t-shirt with pride and don't let anyone tell you you're wrong, champ!!

Do you have figures for scots who voted no?

It's pretty simple. Scotland voted to stay in a union where the electoral system votes MPs to Westminster to represent roughly equal sized constituencies. Scotland isn't an independent country. The people of Scotland voted to stay in the union.

If anyone was stupid enough to believe that by staying in the union Scotland, the country, would have equal weighting in power to England, a country 10 times its size, then they really do need to get a reality check. The reason we send MPs to Westminster voted for by roughly similar sized constituencies is because this is the way out democracy works.

If you want Scotland as a country (as one) to have an equal say as England as a country (as one) ie a quarter say in the governing of the United Kingdom, then you're certainly arguing for something that will create a democratic deficit. One where you as an individual will have far more say in how we are governed than me.

At the moment people living in Scottish constituencies already have more of a say in how they're governed than me. I'd argue that for people in East Lothian where I work, there's less of a democratic deficit than where I live in Berwick-upon-Tweed.

https://greens.scot/blog/7-ways-the-greens-tax-plan-will-make-scotland-fairer

So the Greens intend in the long run to move towards a Land Value Tax, as well as a Universal Basic Income.

Not often you see the impact on GINI coefficients on tax tables either.

Looks good to me. They've got my vote.

Are the greens in contention for any constituency seats?

Scotland is a country, not a part of Britain.

You wear your Uncle Tam t-shirt with pride and don't let anyone tell you you're wrong, champ!!

Scotland voted to remain in the UK but you will not accept the result.

Uncle Tam is exactly the juvenile response that I would expect from a fascist nutter like you. 

Scotland voted to remain in the UK but you will not accept the result.

Uncle Tam is exactly the juvenile response that I would expect from a fascist nutter like you. 

You're damn right I won't accept it.  And there's LOADS like me.

Raging much?

It's pretty simple. Scotland voted to stay in a union where the electoral system votes MPs to Westminster to represent roughly equal sized constituencies. Scotland isn't an independent country. The people of Scotland voted to stay in the union.

If anyone was stupid enough to believe that by staying in the union Scotland, the country, would have equal weighting in power to England, a country 10 times its size, then they really do need to get a reality check. The reason we send MPs to Westminster voted for by roughly similar sized constituencies is because this is the way out democracy works.

If you want Scotland as a country (as one) to have an equal say as England as a country (as one) ie a quarter say in the governing of the United Kingdom, then you're certainly arguing for something that will create a democratic deficit. One where you as an individual will have far more say in how we are governed than me.

At the moment people living in Scottish constituencies already have more of a say in how they're governed than me. I'd argue that for people in East Lothian where I work, there's less of a democratic deficit than where I live in Berwick-upon-Tweed.

Slight problem is that's what we were told by the people of the UK champ. Partnership of equals, lead the UK.

You as an individual have more of a say than anyone in Scotland, so it's okay one way but not the other

Slight problem is that's what we were told by the people of the UK champ. Partnership of equals, lead the UK. You as an individual have more of a say than anyone in Scotland, so it's okay one way but not the other

Please explain how I have any more of a say in how I'm governed than you. As individuals. Give it a go.

Please explain how I have any more of a say in how I'm governed than you. As individuals. Give it a go.

moving the goalposts now eh, we're talking about countries not individuals. Your country chooses it's own government, ours doesn't.

But since it was you that raised it about East Lothian you give it a go. Bearing in mind their entire country gets a government it voted against more often than not. Has that ever happened to yours?

Archived