SNP to Abstain from Fox Hunting Vote

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go on then what did she lie about?

Sturgeon (Feb 2015) :- "The SNP have a longstanding position of not voting on matters that purely affect England - such as foxhunting south of the border for example - and we stand by that"

So they didn't actually vote, they just threatened to vote?

You'd think a majority government would have this covered.

I know the concept of MPs actually voting the way they want and not what they are told by the party is a really startling one for SNP fanboys to grasp, but it happens.

Indeed. Which is why I think Cameron's laughing into his coco pops this morning.

But as someone who believes in the values of the SNP over the side issue of independence, I still think it was the ethical thing to do.

Sturgeon (Feb 2015) :- "The SNP have a longstanding position of not voting on matters that purely affect England - such as foxhunting south of the border for example - and we stand by that"

So she hasn't lied. Nowhere does she say that the SNP will not say they will vote against the Fox ban being lifted.

For someone who likes to make sure others are specifically correct in their statement you don't half fail to be so yourself

All politicians change their views on issues - it happens.

What's amusing to me is the clapping seals (just check the first page of this thread) who have somersaulted as well over this issue.

They talk about monkeys with red rosettes - we seem to have monkeys with red and yellow rosettes.

Indeed. Which is why I think Cameron's laughing into his coco pops this morning.

But as someone who believes in the values of the SNP over the side issue of independence, I still think it was the ethical thing to do.

Those ethical values have left the hunting laws in Scotland slacker than they are in England and Wales.

So she hasn't lied. Nowhere does she say that the SNP will not say they will vote against the Fox ban being lifted.

So when she said they stand by that longstanding position, what she actually meant was that they didn't stand by that longstanding position?

Indeed. It would be stupid not to. All politicians engage in embarrassing U Turns, when expediency demands.

You can't trust anything a politician says. They are inveterate liars and opportunists.

Those ethical values have left the hunting laws in Scotland slacker than they are in England and Wales.

Sturgeon disagrees with the Scottish law.

If only she'd been in a position to do anything about it. It's a damn shame she wasn't.

What's amusing to me is the clapping seals (just check the first page of this thread) who have somersaulted as well over this issue.

They talk about monkeys with red rosettes - we seem to have monkeys with red and yellow rosettes.

I haven't seen any examples of the above. Most are split over the issue even the resident roasters:

Would like to see them vote against it but they did say they would not vote on matters that don't affect Scotland. This doesn't.

Seems rather reasonable, nothing like a clapping seal

This worked out in favour for both the Tories and the SNP. The SNP get to show people that they will fight against the Tories and are essentially the main opposition. Whilst the Tories get further ammunition for EVEL. All the Tories say is look at the SNP, not only are they voting on a law which has absolutely no effect on Scotland, but what the Tories proposed was actually to make it more like the Scottish law. So in Scotland the SNP say use as many dogs has you want, but in England you can't.

Both sides will be happy here.

Sturgeon disagrees with the Scottish law.

If only she'd been in a position to do anything about it. It's a damn shame she wasn't.

Yes because there has been such a public outcry to change the fox hunting law in Scotland since the SNP came into power.

Think most people grasp that the SNP are guided by the wider EVEL debate on this, which has also been delayed to a later date due to the risk of defeat for the government.

12 is not a comfortable majority when you have lots of eccentric backbenchers on board that can potentially threaten to defect to UKIP, if they don't get their way.

This is the bit I dont quite get to be honest. Surely we should have our own house in order first?

Archived