Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

14 minutes ago, THE_warrior said:

With the game yesterday being the 15th clean sheet of the season I wonder if Stenhousemuir would be anywhere near some sort of record for clean sheets for this season?

We managed 16 in the league last season, which was a club record (19 all comps) - but I don't remember anyone saying anything at the time about it being a league record.

Whatever the league record is though it can't be far away from 15/16, and I'd be quite comfortable putting money on this Stenny side beating it. Off the top of my head I can't remember us ever sharing a league with a side so prolific at keeping clean sheets.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

11 minutes ago, THE_warrior said:

With the game yesterday being the 15th clean sheet of the season I wonder if Stenhousemuir would be anywhere near some sort of record for clean sheets for this season?

Allan Fleming had 18 clean sheets in 35 appearances in 17/18 for Montrose. They conceded in the game he didn't play so 18 in 36 for the team.

There's still over a third of the season remaining, and there's still a lot to be decided, but who would you select as your Stenhousemuir FC Player of the Year 2023/24?

Here are, for my money, the contenders:

Darren Jamieson
Darren Jamieson has been the most transformative signing the club have made since Eric Paton joined from Dundee in 2010. After two seasons of rubbish goalkeepers, he has not only galvanised the players in front of him, but I'd also argue he's galvanised supporters in the stand. You're no longer terrified when a cross is fired into the box or the opposition have you penned in because Jamieson has brought so much security to our defence. I'm delighted he recently signed a new two-year deal with the club.

Nicky Jamieson
Nicky Jamieson must be on course to have accumulated the most Wee Bar Man of the Match awards over the course of the season. A strong centre-back who reads the game well, he's positionally sound, quick off the mark and a threat from set-pieces, Jamieson is a stand-out at this level and his formed a rock-solid partnership at the back with Gregor Buchanan. Another player whose new two-year contract was warmly received.

Gregor Buchanan
The captain is having an outstanding campaign and, for my money, is the pick of the bunch this season. His leadership, as well as his organisation and communication skills, have played an enormous part in our stingy defence. Not only is he making an excellent contribution at the back but his prowess from set-pieces - he's got six goals so far - has contributed tremendously. I knew we'd get our money's worth when we brought him in from Dumbarton but he has consistently exceeded my expectations.

Mikey Anderson
What a transformation! Brought into the club by Stephen Swift in the summer of 2021 as part of the "BSC lot", Mikey Anderson looked out of his depth and overwhelmed by the demands of the SPFL but after getting to grips with League 2, and adding consistency to his game, he's blossomed into one of the finest players in the division. A proper box-to-box midfielder, Anderson is a good passer of the ball, a strong tackler and someone capable of breaking forward and chipping in with the odd goal. If only his dipping volley at the weekend had gone in!

Matty Aitken
I didn't really fancy Matty Aitken when we brought him in from Forfar Athletic but the big man's having a sterling season. Aitken is vital to how Stenhousemuir play - he's a back-to-goal striker who uses his bony arse to hold up the ball and get the team up the park - and his tally of 13 is a career best; it's not unreasonable to expect him to get to 20 by the end of the year. His performance in the 2-1 win over Clyde in December was of the highest calibre.

I'm going for Buchanan, but who are you picking?

Bucky for me. I would go as far to say he will be the best signing in our history if we go on now and do the inevitable.

I can't remember a bad game he has had apart from that mad 20 minutes against Dumbarton. He's just such a good defender, reads the game well, can play a bit and is a huge threat from set plays. I think he's the glue that sticks it altogether. Nicky Jamieson was already a good player but for me he's went to another level playing next to Bucky. Even without Nicky in these last two games Bucky has stood up and been absolutely outstanding in both games with a slightly weaker defence.

So many quality, consistent performers though hence our league position so it's hard to single out any one person as our main strength is that togetherness and will to win as a group.

Talking about our team with such adulation, hard to pick a stand out performer. What a conversation to be having. 

Great points regarding Bucky, Neilly.

You could make a case for more of the players too:

Bilham - hadn't really heard of him before. Has came in, got in the team; after Lowdon had to leave for injury, and hasn't looked back. Consistently wins his tackles, stops a lot of crosses at the first phase, overlaps and covers well. Always keen to keep up his work rate and put a shift in. The ball is put high on top of him nearly every game and he's adapted. He wins a surprisingly large amount of headers. Also seen an improvement in his distribution and passing. 

O'Reilly - back to his best. Brilliant going forward, consistent threat with loads of skill, works hard and has added a few goals. 

Wedderburn - His mobility has remarkably improved, no one can hold the ball up and distribute it as well as he does. Usually a good decision maker and has been a catalyst in Anderson's form. He's fantastic in maintaining possession in a tight space and I still sit in awe at his footwork in those situations. You just don't expect it. Love Big Nat, great guy too.

The whole team have been delight to watch this year. The team celebrating every goal together with such passion, the work rate, the drive to go on to win or keep that clean sheet every game, it's impressive. Even when we aren't playing well, we're getting the results and go again.

We all know this but it just highlights how good an appointment Gary Naysmith and his staff has been for us. If he wins us the league, I think he surpasses; my favourite gaffer, Terry Christie. 

Mon the Warriors! 

38 minutes ago, Private Ryan said:

Is that now 4 out of 5 wins for Naysmith?

Yep - September, November, December and January. An incredible achievement.

Well done to Gary Naysmith, his backroom team and his players. Let's keep going as we approach the final third of the season!

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on nicky jamieson  (for very obvious reasons)?

Jacobs at right back was a head scratcher

lynch got a knock or just not trusted? He didn’t get a great press from others when we signed him but results with him in the team have been good

stirling got a knock or just not fancied?

I'm a big Gary Naysmith fan. He was in charge at Bayview for around three years, largely developing himself as a coach/ manager. We went through a few periods of dips in form, but I can't recall a capitulation on the scale of yesterday at Ochilview.

Had to chuckle at the posters above blowing smoke out of Nat Wedderburn's bahookie. Everyone in the league knows he has 60 minutes in him at best.

Edited by Cosmic Joe

A very bizarre post about Nat and just poor analysis.

He has played 90 minutes pretty much every week (missed the odd game through suspension)for the runaway league leaders.

As for us in general there is absolutely no need to panic. That was only our third defeat of the season which is incredible really.

Cove and Kelty took the same bizarre pummelling in their runaway seasons so it's happened before and will happen again.

Nicky back next week will really settle us down we haven't had the old back four together for a good few weeks now and it's showing.

6 hours ago, Neilly said:

A very bizarre post about Nat and just poor analysis.

He has played 90 minutes pretty much every week (missed the odd game through suspension)for the runaway league leaders.

As for us in general there is absolutely no need to panic. That was only our third defeat of the season which is incredible really.

Cove and Kelty took the same bizarre pummelling in their runaway seasons so it's happened before and will happen again.

Nicky back next week will really settle us down we haven't had the old back four together for a good few weeks now and it's showing.

Fully agree. Definitely no need for chins to drop or to feel deflated.

I believe Naysmith won't let the team drop in standard. There's a lot to take from that game on Saturday, we'll learn from it, hopefully get fired up and go again against Bonnyrigg. Show why we're top of the league.

As for Nat, we watch him each week. We know how much he's given this season and the level of his performances.

7 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Had to chuckle at the posters above blowing smoke out of Nat Wedderburn's bahookie. Everyone in the league knows he has 60 minutes in him at best.

A silly comment. Nat Wedderburn is having a very good season for Stenhousemuir and regularly completes 90 minutes, including in our three meetings with East Fife, which we've taken seven points from. But you knew that already, "Cosmic Joe"!

Anyway. I've had a bit of time to process yesterday's match and it's still difficult to fathom what happened. I'm still in disbelief. It can only be filed under a "bad day at the office" where everything that can go wrong goes wrong. It was a combination of collective failures, individual errors and the kind of opposition ruthlessness you rarely ever see at this level. The team have received a lot of praise for how they've acquitted themselves over the campaign (and deservedly so!) but they also have to take criticism too, and they were abysmal. It cannot happen again.

Relative how the season's played out as a whole, we're in a bit of a funk just now - we've won one of our last five matches, we're not playing particularly well at the moment, and we've just conceded six goals in a home game for the first time since 1987. If you are going to go through a blip, then doing so when you hold a large advantage over the rest of the division is probably the best possible time, but we cannot afford to be complacent as we approach the final stretch. In a way, the defeat to Clyde was so harrowing that it might just focus our minds and galvanise the team for the remaining 10 fixtures.

We're in a fantastic position and I'm supremely confident Gary Naysmith and his players will bounce back quickly from this. I was impressed by the manager's post-match interview and took a lot of heart from it. I think we will go to Bonnyrigg on Saturday and win.

45 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

A silly comment. Nat Wedderburn is having a very good season for Stenhousemuir and regularly completes 90 minutes, including in our three meetings with East Fife, which we've taken seven points from. But you knew that already, "Cosmic Joe"!

Anyway. I've had a bit of time to process yesterday's match and it's still difficult to fathom what happened. I'm still in disbelief. It can only be filed under a "bad day at the office" where everything that can go wrong goes wrong. It was a combination of collective failures, individual errors and the kind of opposition ruthlessness you rarely ever see at this level. The team have received a lot of praise for how they've acquitted themselves over the campaign (and deservedly so!) but they also have to take criticism too, and they were abysmal. It cannot happen again.

Relative how the season's played out as a whole, we're in a bit of a funk just now - we've won one of our last five matches, we're not playing particularly well at the moment, and we've just conceded six goals in a home game for the first time since 1987. If you are going to go through a blip, then doing so when you hold a large advantage over the rest of the division is probably the best possible time, but we cannot afford to be complacent as we approach the final stretch. In a way, the defeat to Clyde was so harrowing that it might just focus our minds and galvanise the team for the remaining 10 fixtures.

We're in a fantastic position and I'm supremely confident Gary Naysmith and his players will bounce back quickly from this. I was impressed by the manager's post-match interview and took a lot of heart from it. I think we will go to Bonnyrigg on Saturday and win.

Aye, and you always fade in the second half against teams, largely because Wedderburn becomes a passenger.

I can mind of a terrific game against Raith at Bayview. Down 1-0 at half time with Wedderburn doing the stuff he is good at.

After the break, he was breathing out of his arse as East Fife made him chase the ball.

We won 2-1.

Loving the we'll definitely beat Bonnyrigg chat. 😄