Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

12 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I understand that there'll be a sentimental nod to this shirt that'll make it more popular, but... that's hideous

I think the actual finished physical shirt will end up looking very good, as opposed to the odd-looking cad drawing. Uhlsport normally do a really decent job with these bespoke designs.

Stenhousemuir have announced that Curtis Lyle and Kyle Jacobs have agreed new contracts with the club, but Edin Lynch, Ben Stirling and Jordan Kirkpatrick will leave Ochilview.

I think this is what everyone expected, across the board. Lyle is a low-maintenance back-up 'keeper and is hugely well liked amongst the squad, while Jacobs has proven himself to be a useful player since he joined the club in January and will do a turn in League 1.

Stirling was only ever signed as a stopgap and Kirkpatrick looked off the pace in League 2. I'll be sorry to see big Edin Lynch go - he's a smashing big lad, an honest player and someone who chipped in with important goals - but not good enough for the step up. I wish all three of them well.

On 12/05/2024 at 23:43, Ianiesta8 said:

Been an absolute pleasure. 

We'll be in hospitality for Flag Day, so no doubt we'll see you then!

Thank you ⚔️

Come back please mate, you've been gone a week and the new Twitter header is misspelt!

image.thumb.png.5edfb09467f7cd53d25d815f4530c197.png

Sad to see Edin go, though probably the right decision. The reviews from Dumbarton fans were not favourable and I feared the worst but he proved to be a reasonable L2 player. He chipped in with a couple of goals  played the vast majority of the 12 wins in a row and seemed like an excellent guy. He'll certainly do someone a good turn.

Presuming Yates is away to a full time club, that probably only leaves space for 4 (maybe 5) new signings. 2 defenensive cover, 2 attackers.

Like everyone else really sorry to see Edin Lynch depart. Hugely likeable guy but probably not what we need in League 1. 

Kirkpatrick had a bad season with injuries but again, not a surprise that he won’t be with us next season. I am guessing that he would have been on decent money.

Stirling, as was said, was only here to plug a gap in the short term. 

Meanwhile, an inauspicious start from our new media crew. Mis-spelling Official and the link doesn’t work on their first tweet! 

The article on the club website, which went up some time after the tweet, says that we've offered Matty Yates a new contract and Bradley Rodden is transfer listed.

On Yates, I'd like him to stay, I think he's a cracking player with a high ceiling, but I wouldn't be too upset if he moved on elsewhere. He wasn't too hot last season and I think we could do with freshening up our attack and investing his wage in someone else.

Rodden, meanwhile, hasn't been a good signing at all. It's telling that as soon as Andy Graham was made the Alloa Athletic manager, Rodden was shipped out within a couple of weeks. He's raw and uncoordinated and hasn't brought much to the team; I think he'll struggle in League 1 and might not even be good enough for the SPFL. Nevertheless, I'll always be grateful for his corner kick at Bonnyrigg Rose, which Matty Aitken headed home to virtually win the league.

Posted (edited)

I think the update is pretty much what we all expected.

Edin goes with a very heavy heart from us all - a great lad and his contribution to the team over the season was outstanding. Right back, left back, centre half he filled in all over the place and rarely let us down. A huge part of "The Twelve" and his bullet header away to Bonnyrigg was one of the moments of the season.

Rodden being available for transfer makes sense. He is definitely not good enough for league one and we can't be going into this league with anyone we feel that applies to.

Matty Yates I assumed was going top end Championship, and may yet still I suppose, but there may be a glimmer of hope if that's not actually happened yet. Surely there was ample opportunity to get him pissed in Benidorm and sign a contract when 8 Venoms deep?

Good luck to all the outgoing lads in finding new clubs and excelling elsewhere.

Edited to add the media team need to get the finger out. Early doors this is looking very tinpot. We have been spoiled rotten really in the last season but getting basic spelling correct on the official club header should be a bare minimum standard.

Edited by Neilly

Fourteen signed players for next season. Probably another 4 or 5 to come in. Much as I like Matty, and I’d be really sorry to see him go, we do need to freshen up the strike force so it may be no bad thing if he moves on to a full time team.

Probably need to 2 defenders + 2 strikers as a minimum.

Sad to see edin go but as others have said brilliant league 2 player but sadly doesn't make the cut for league 1 standard, hopefully he joins a decent league two side this summer. 

Really happy however that kyle jacobs has signed on for next year he's shown some real quality since signing and is a solid league 1 level player.

I really hope matty signs on but if he gets a offer from a full time team that's fair enough.

Posted (edited)

Good luck to those leaving. Spoke to Edin lynch, very good guy.

I’m a bit puzzled by Rodden available for transfer thing (we buy and sell so few players). Does this mean he is contracted for next season, we don’t really fancy him but we don’t want to pay him a full year’s money (or, say, half a year after negotiation) to release him and we think some other team will ‘buy’ him to get us out of our obligation. Maybe this would just involve taking over his salary and paying us a token fee (£100??) to make it a proper contract?

Have I got this right? If we think another team will pay a substantial amount for him, why aren’t we keeping him, or if he isn’t a world beater who will buy him - in the full sense of the word, I’m thinking.

Changing the subject, I recon we need to improve strikers and midfield next year. If Yates goes we would have room for 3 new players in those areas and I recon a couple need to be top notch starters.

I told myself last season, bargaining with the fates, that if we are able to win the league then I wouldn’t care what happened next time but I have broken my side of that bargain already

Edited by true fan

There won't be anything over complicated with Rodden. If a club wants him I'm sure there will be an amicable termination of his contract so he can sign for another club without a fee involved.

no surprises with the announcement. sorry to see eden go for all the reasons already said by others about his time in the 12. i',m not that sorry if yates does go elsewhere. he,ll be on a good wage and that money can go towards a fresh striker for up top cause thats what we badly need for L1.

Given yesterday's announcement, it's time to think about how the team is shaping up for next season:

GOALKEEPERS

• Darren Jamieson
  • Curtis Lyle

DEFENDERS

• Kinlay Bilham
  • Gregor Buchanan
  • Nicky Jamieson
  • Ross Meechan

MIDFIELDERS

• Mikey Anderson
  • James Berry
  • Adam Brown
  • Kyle Jacobs
  • Nat Wedderburn

ATTACKERS

• Matty Aitken
  • Euan O'Reilly
  • Ross Taylor

OFFERED TERMS

• Matty Yates

TRANSFER LISTED

• Bradley Rodden

LEFT THE CLUB

• Jordan Kirkpatrick
  • Edin Lynch
  • Ben Stirling

We have 14 players signed up for next season (15 if Yates stays on) and I reckon we'd need another five or six quality additions to make a decent go of it in League 1. Defensive cover and a superstar striker are the priorities but I've no doubt Gary Naysmith and Martin Christie already have targets identified already. Wrapping up the title at such an early juncture has probably give us a head start in our recruitment for the season ahead.

I'd love for Yates to stay and prove what he can do in league 1. 

I'd still like to see another striker added and hope Rodden moves on. Rodden never done much wrong but at the same time, never offered much either. He has almost a unique playing style, which is hard to incorporate. Unpredictable but full of running and determination. 

Like others, sad to see Lynch leave. He done well for us and was pretty solid in each position he played, even kept Meechan out of the team for a period. Hope he can find a team in league 2 and develop further. 

Kyle banner seems like a reasonable edition as I'm led to believe he can play anywhere across the backline and can play in midfield. Couldn't give any more information on him other than he done me a turn in fm.

On the premier sports cup draw I can imagine the friendly with falkirk will get cancelled but looking forward to a group of champions and Ayr.