Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

4 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

One of our most exciting prospects, clever wee winger who also gave a dead fish of a Ray McKinnon Forfar side a bit of life last season. Hope he does well for Stenny, I'm a big fan of his.

I liked him a lot in that game at Station Park in March. The game was dire but I thought he stood out in a Forfar side who are instructed under Uncle Ray to play the most boring brand of football since the game has existed. He always wanted the ball and looked quick and tried to make things happen.

He's different to what we have and it adds to a good mix of attacking players who all bring their own talents to the table. 

Posted (edited)

Here's how the squad's looking for the season ahead:

GOALKEEPERS

• Darren Jamieson
  • Curtis Lyle

DEFENDERS

• Dean Aitken (signed from St Johnstone)
  • Kyle Banner (signed from Stirling Albion)
  • Kinlay Bilham
  • Gregor Buchanan
  • Kelsey Ewen (signed from Edinburgh City)
  • Nicky Jamieson
  • Ross Meechan

MIDFIELDERS

• Blair Alston (signed from Partick Thistle)
  • Mikey Anderson
  • James Berry
  • Adam Brown
  • Kyle Jacobs
  • Nat Wedderburn

ATTACKERS

• Matty Aitken
  • Fin Allan (signed from Dundee on loan)
  • Corey O'Donnell (signed from Broomhill)
  • Euan O'Reilly
  • Ross Taylor
  • Matty Yates

LEFT THE CLUB

• Dean Aitken (joined Camelon Juniors on loan)
  • Jordan Kirkpatrick (joined Camelon Juniors)
  • Edin Lynch (joined Edinburgh City)
  • Bradley Rodden (joined Bonnyrigg Rose)
  • Ben Stirling (joined Tranent Juniors)

I think that'll be us for the time being. Gary Naysmith has said in the past he prefers working with smaller squads of 19 or 20 players to keep everyone involved and motivated - we've got 20 (21 if you count Dean Aitken, who's on loan at Camelon Juniors). It would have been nice to have signed another striker but I think Matty Yates has shown he can fulfil the role, and Corey O'Donnell might develop into a useful alternative.

I'm not quite as antsy as I was a fortnight ago, anyway!

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

• 2 weeks later...

What are we all thinking today . A few changes or much the same team as last week ? 
It was a decent performance last week and this is a good chance to get a win at home . 
Stenny 3.1 for me 

We were second best for the majority of the first half and that  goal just before HT gave us the boost we needed.

After the early second half goal we took control and Cove looked pea-hearted and their heads went down. It's Glass, Fyvie and a bunch of guys being paid at least 50% more than they're worth. We bossed it from there on in and it could have been more than 3. Rather frustrating to again concede in injury time to leave a nervy couple of mins.

Brilliant result and performance today. It always feels nice to get it right up a team with Paul Hartley as manager and we battered his side second half all over the park.

I thought we started brightly in the first 15-20 and were the better side without creating enough. Euan O'Reilly looked as sharp as he has for a while and we were getting joy down that right flank. Cove started to put their foot on the ball after this and it was a tough period for us in and around the time they scored - Fyvie and Glass were popping it and we struggled with their third man running into our box.

Crucial moment for us as half time approaches where we popped in a goal from nowhere really. Meechs finds Taylor over the top on the left, he roasts the full back and puts over an absolute sweetheart for Corey O'Donnell to get his first goal for the club. It can't be understated how good the ball was from Taylor on his weaker side - yer auld da' here would have scored that with his glasses off!

Second half we came flying out the traps. Really aggressive in the press and in the faces of Fyvie and Glass - we stopped any output from them and for me apart these two players that's as limited a bunch of players as you will see at this level. They may be full time but it's really the dregs outside those two quality players. Fitness wise we ran over the top of them the longer the game went on which is a testament to the lads and management team.

Mikey Anderson scores an absolute worldie on his weaker side when it looked like the pass to the left was the better option. We were all over them at this stage and Nat bullets home a header from a brilliant Taylor corner. Jubilant scenes indeed.

Losing the goal at the end made it scrappy and we really need to tighten up defensively from set plays that is too cheap a goal to lose at any stage of a football match but difficult to be too harsh on the lads that was a fantastic performance - some excellent football played and desire to get the win today.

Hard to pick out individuals in what was a brilliant team performance but special mentions have to go to Taylor, Wedderburn and O'Donnell today. Two assists from Taylor and just looks like he's going to cause bother anytime he gets on the ball without sounding like a broken record there can't be many better wingers in the league. Impossible to defend against at times as he can do you on the outside or inside with ease.

Nat was outstanding in midfield. Really got about the park well, won the scrappy stuff and hardly wasted a pass all day. Dominant stuff from the big man. O'Donnell up front, although clumsy on occasions with the ball at feet, was a battering ram presence and his pressing was outstanding he really gave us a base to hit, stick and then play. A real sour note on the day that he has popped his shoulder at the end as that performance had me purring for more in the coming weeks baby.

Good chance to kick on now and another positive result next week at home we will definitely be looking upwards and not over our shoulders as the season progresses.

Edited by Neilly

Neilly has summed it up rather well. I thought Cove Rangers were the better side in the first half but Stenhousemuir dominated the game after the interval and deserved the victory. Initially, we struggled to get to grips with Fraser Fyvie and Declan Glass and found ourselves out-paced and cut open at times, most notably for Cove's opening goal, but Nat Wedderburn and Mikey Anderson disrupted their rhythm, stopped them from playing, and ultimately took control of the contest.

"Goals change games" might be a cliche but it's true! All three Stenhousemuir goals came at the perfect time. Corey O'Donnell netted just before half time, slamming home Ross Taylor's low cross, and Anderson scored a goal-of-the-season contender three minutes after the restart. If the second goal knocked the wind out of Cove's sails then Wedderburn's header 10 minutes later flattened them entirely. They created very little, showed little stomach for the fight and only scored at the death courtesy of a fortunate break of the ball inside the penalty box. This current team seem miles behind the side that won promotion to the SPFL in 2018. They're softer and easier to get at and at and it seems unfathomable that Paul Hartley is still in post given how the club have regressed since he returned. Outside of Fyvie and Glass, there isn't a lot to like. Although he was credited with their second goal, Grady McGrath was barely involved at all and gave the side nothing up front.

But enough about Cove! Stenhousemuir were very good today. Anderson and Wedderburn were the star turns in midfield. Anderson is far more suited to playing in a deeper role and bursting forward, and he took his goal tremendously, while Wedderburn, although susceptible to opponents running past him, was strong, powerful and allowed us to command the match. Taylor thrilled on the left, chipping in with two assists (and one yellow card), and he is such an exciting talent. I was pleased to see O'Donnell netting his first goal for the club - the big striker is raw but has something about him and if he can fill out, learn to use his body better and pop the ball off quicker, we could have something very useful in our ranks. His shoulder injury looked a sore one and I hope he's back in action soon.

I'm looking forward the upcoming game with Annan Athletic. I think most onlookers would have picked Stenny and Annan to be bobbing around the foot of the table and so to beat them would feel like a big statement.

Yesterday, for me, was very much a game of two halves.

First half we started well yet were setup in a way that allowed Cove to have the ball and try break us down, which they duly did with relative ease. As mentioned above both Fyvie and Glass set the tempo and dictated play for the visitors, and we struggled to get near either of them. Their opening goal was very well worked and we just couldn’t get close to them at times.

The tactical tweak at half time was clear to see though. We pressed much more aggressively and were first to the ball nearly every time. There was a 5 minute period at 2-1 and into 3-1 in particular that stood out - whenever the ball was played into Glass either from a defender or the keeper, Nat stepped in ahead of him and got those great big legs of his between Glass and the ball, and it left Glass visibly frustrated. Our midfield overran, outclassed and completely dominated theirs in that second half.

Annan will give us a different type of game next week, and I imagine a more difficult one too, but I’m confident we can pick up the 3 points and continue our 100% home form in the league.

I know this will be read so can we also learn from the shambles of admission on Saturday for pay at the gate punters. Denied entry to the stand and directed to go behind the goals because the stand has "sold out" was amateur hour. 

You could still buy tickets on Fanbase for the stand no problem at all just before, and after, 3 o'clock so it was in no way sold out and sheer logic would dictate we were never selling out the stand for this game with a handful of traveling fans.

You also should consider there will be multiple season ticket holders who don't go to every game for whatever reason. This will happen every single home game.

We have a small customer base as it is we really don't want to be irking people in regard of the above, particularly those who follow the club home and away and have done for years. 

Edited by Neilly

8 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Any chance of some highlights?

The goals have just been posted and between the changing angles and the distance away from the players, the quality is so poor.

Also what happened to the full highlights we got last season ???

8 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Any chance of some highlights?

The goals from Saturday have been posted on Twitter and Instagram. Unfortunately, the three Stenhousemuir strikes have been showcased with a behind-the-goals camera, which gives no indication as to what's actually happening, and therefore seems rather pointless. Mikey Anderson scored a goal-of-the-season contender but you'd have no idea watching the video!

Surely we're in a position to move away from Pixellot and have someone film our home games instead? The automatic camera was a means to an end during the pandemic but we're well past that now. I don't like being critical of volunteers and I appreciate everyone's time and effort but when you look at the highlights packages that Alloa Athletic, Stranraer and Bonnyrigg Rose pull together, for example, we're lagging well behind in terms of quality and timeliness. 

Someone brought that up last season after watching the Stranraer efforts at Stranraer and got slagged off by the media team.  Our highlights are of very poor quality and not everyone is on Twitter or Instragram.

While having a moan what is happening to the shirts with the names on them? Surely we should be getting plates when so many people stumped up cash.

You guys had an analyst recording (although he had a rubbish Sony handycam) and another person recording with a bigger camera, that I didn't get a look for the model, at Alloa.

It struck me last week and at the beginning of last season when we went to Ochilview you've got relatively loads of volunteers. 

6 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

The goals from Saturday have been posted on Twitter and Instagram. Unfortunately, the three Stenhousemuir strikes have been showcased with a behind-the-goals camera, which gives no indication as to what's actually happening, and therefore seems rather pointless. Mikey Anderson scored a goal-of-the-season contender but you'd have no idea watching the video!

Surely we're in a position to move away from Pixellot and have someone film our home games instead? The automatic camera was a means to an end during the pandemic but we're well past that now. I don't like being critical of volunteers and I appreciate everyone's time and effort but when you look at the highlights packages that Alloa Athletic, Stranraer and Bonnyrigg Rose pull together, for example, we're lagging well behind in terms of quality and timeliness. 

Funny you should mention Pixellot, as I've just looked back and it missed the first two Stenny goals!! So that'll be why they've not used that footage. 

The highlights package was always high on our list of improvements that we wanted to make across the full season. So many clubs at this level are investing in it, and it shows. Stranraer being the best of the bunch at Lower league levels and East Fife a close second.  

Unfortunately, the equipment the club have isn't the best and investing in new stuff was never an option. In fact, we had to buy our own batteries once the original wasn't holding enough charge to cover a full game. 

6 hours ago, Ianiesta8 said:

Funny you should mention Pixellot, as I've just looked back and it missed the first two Stenny goals!! So that'll be why they've not used that footage.   

You could just edit the wide video feed. I remember doing that for at least a few goals in the short time we used it.

Pixellot sees everything:

image.thumb.png.2b9e46da669aeffa0213ae29324dd9f0.png

Unfortunately, the equipment the club have isn't the best and investing in new stuff was never an option.

Do they still charge £240 a month for a subscription? Be better cancelling it and saving up for a few months. The camera that QTV sent for our premier sports games feed was available second hand for under £1000.

8 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

You could just edit the wide video feed. I remember doing that for at least a few goals in the short time we used it.

Pixellot sees everything:

image.thumb.png.2b9e46da669aeffa0213ae29324dd9f0.png

Do they still charge £240 a month for a subscription? Be better cancelling it and saving up for a few months. The camera that QTV sent for our premier sports games feed was available second hand for under £1000.

Well, I'm no longer at the club so not really my issue anymore. 

Stenny and Albion Rovers were two of the first clubs in the country to adopt the system, and got a fair discount on ongoing use. 

The panoramic view was an option, but he whole system is even now outdated and shouldn't really be used, unless someone is manually controlling the tracking. 

We knew we'd never get the best highlights package using Pixellot which is why we did the best we could, but shifted our focus to where our strengths were, and enhance those areas. 

Surely there has got to be creative ways around the initial outlay.

Given our strong standing in the local area, surely a contra deal with a business that sells media hardware would be a no brainer and easily achievable.

It may even be worth the Club consulting on whether or not fans would contribute to purchasing the equipment. I know I certainly would, and I imagine fans who are further afield or cannot make many games would likely chip in too if they knew they could get quality highlights each week.

Surely some of the money we paid to get our names on the shirt (no update when they will be ready) and the money they will make from selling them could be made to update the video equipment.  Perhaps the media team should contact Stranraer and East Fife and find out about their costs.