Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

Went along today to tick off another ground since the Airdrie game was off and was really impressed by Stenny. Very solid at the back (the Jamiesons and Buchanan are as good a base as you’ll get at this level), lots of energy (and big Nat) in midfield and real quality going forward with Yates, O’Reilly and an on form Aitken.

As soon as Stenny scored they seemed in total control and I never thought there was going to be any other outcome than a remarkable 11th consecutive win. Still a long way to go but a league title has been a long time coming and it looks like great fun supporting the warriors at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Things are going too well.

I'm scared.

Same, am starting to shite myself 😅😅

But they keep going and picking up the points. The squad are together and Naysmith and his staff have them determined. 

Nicky Jamieson is an absolute machine! Turning into a Stenny legend.

Edited by Old Fashioned Stramash

Please indulge me.

That one league defeat this season I recall saying was a freak match and result. But the reaction to that from the players and management was solid, three wins on the trot, and following the cup loss, to go 11 winning games in a row is fantastic. 

I've very few fears (!) that this team will positively react to any minor set-back as the season progresses, and will be ecstatic if/when the title is sealed.

On the subject of winning a title and with respect to @Francesc Fabregas, the Warriors were highly competitive in the late 'fifties and early 'sixties, and were very close to the title in 60-61. With a game in hand on eventual winners Stirling Albion (SFC on 33 games, Albion on 34 in a 36 game season), the Ochilview club went to Annfield and took the lead in a crucial game on a strangely waterlogged pitch, only to get bogged down and well beaten by the home side.

Stenhousemuir finished five points behind at the season’s end: prior to that defeat the Warriors had won 10 matches in a row.

As an aside, to illustrate how football has changed, Stenhousemuir scored 99 league goals that season, and lost 69.

To conclude this ramble, here's a Stenhousemuir team photograph from, I think, that game mentioned above at Annfield.

SFC60-61.thumb.JPG.461935a9ee86f0ae277634b76e93ce06.JPG

4 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Things are going too well.

I'm scared.

2 hours ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Same, am starting to shite myself 😅😅

Why? League's done boys. Enjoy it.

At some point in time we won’t win but with each passing game, you wonder why? Our defence is so strong that teams just can’t break through. First half Spartans bench shout to the team “keep the ball away from the centre halves”. They spend the rest of the game launching the ball towards Kinlay Bilham who didn’t lose a challenge the whole game. Aside from Henderson’s chance in the 2nd half, which was about the only time they tried to play the ball on the deck through our backline, and the disallowed goal in the first, Spartans didn’t come close to threatening. We really should have won more decisively today, but 2-0 will do me!  

44 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Why? League's done boys. Enjoy it.

Absolutely. I am less coy than my worrying counterparts. I can't for the life of me see how this team does not go on and secure history for our club.

We have the best goalkeeper, defence, midfield, wingers and striker in the league whilst there is nobody good enough below us to go on a run like we have AND for us to lose 5 or so games before the end of the season. Gary Naysmith won't allow it and more importantly this squad won't allow it.

Ross Taylor returns next week. Jordan Kirkpatrick isn't far away. The January additions of Rodden and Jacobs have already strengthened us. We won't win every game but there is zero doubt in my mind that this group will react accordingly when the time comes that we do drop points again.

8 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Please indulge me.

That one league defeat this season I recall saying was a freak match and result. But the reaction to that from the players and management was solid, three wins on the trot, and following the cup loss, to go 11 winning games in a row is fantastic. 

I've very few fears (!) that this team will positively react to any minor set-back as the season progresses, and will be ecstatic if/when the title is sealed.

On the subject of winning a title and with respect to @Francesc Fabregas, the Warriors were highly competitive in the late 'fifties and early 'sixties, and were very close to the title in 60-61. With a game in hand on eventual winners Stirling Albion (SFC on 33 games, Albion on 34 in a 36 game season), the Ochilview club went to Annfield and took the lead in a crucial game on a strangely waterlogged pitch, only to get bogged down and well beaten by the home side.

Stenhousemuir finished five points behind at the season’s end: prior to that defeat the Warriors had won 10 matches in a row.

As an aside, to illustrate how football has changed, Stenhousemuir scored 99 league goals that season, and lost 69.

To conclude this ramble, here's a Stenhousemuir team photograph from, I think, that game mentioned above at Annfield.

SFC60-61.thumb.JPG.461935a9ee86f0ae277634b76e93ce06.JPG

The legend goes that Stirling Albion actually called in the local fire brigade and gave the pitch a good hosing down before that game as they thought they'd have the advantage on a boggy pitch. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but it's pretty popular folklore round FK5, i think the story was even included in Bill Lothian's Stenhousemuir history tome 'Onwards & Upwards'

Edited by Christophe

It’s fair to say that was a big win yesterday. I didn’t realise Stenhousemuir had never won a league title. I should have done more research before I put my money down in September after a good start. However sometimes your luck is just in. It would take quite a turnaround for it not to happen. I’ll be shouting for you not just for my pocket. Enjoy. 

Something special is happening down Ochilview way and one of the biggest compliments I can give the squad is that they get it and want it just as much as the fans.

The celebrations after Yates’ goal yesterday were just *chefs kiss*.

Everything seems to be going in Stenhousemuir's favour at the moment. It was another fortuitous weekend - we beat the Spartans quite comfortably, Peterhead lost and Dumbarton dropped points - and it's getting difficult to envisage anyone else catching us at the top of the table. The next three games - Stranraer at home, Peterhead away, and Dumbarton at home - will determine the season, I feel. The title seems to close we cannot fail to grasp it. This really is the best it's ever been.

5 hours ago, Christophe said:

..........Bill Lothian's Stenhousemuir history tome 'Onwards & Upwards'

I think Peter Moulds from Leeds was the author of the original centenary history in 1984, on which 'Onwards and Upwards' was based in 1996. 

But regarding the fire brigade story, years on my dad and grandpa both assured me that that happened, and that I'd been taken to matches in that season. I've got a vague recollection of a match v QoS, but the first game I certainly recall was the visit of Morton in September 1963, to me a huge crowd, but on the excellent London Hearts site it is listed as 2290.

The innocuous tweet below suggests Nat Wedderburn has signed up for next season.

Every time he receives the ball 35 yards out with two players on him I make involuntary noises of concern but every time he holds them off and plays it out to a fullback which is met by rapturous applause by myself.

I struggle to believe he isn't playing 2 levels below where he could. Such a handsome man as well. I may well love him.

Screenshot_20240114_130948_X.thumb.jpg.db99bd09cede771b99064dbc0f00fd08.jpg

15 hours ago, onecowden said:

It’s fair to say that was a big win yesterday. I didn’t realise Stenhousemuir had never won a league title. I should have done more research before I put my money down in September after a good start. However sometimes your luck is just in. It would take quite a turnaround for it not to happen. I’ll be shouting for you not just for my pocket. Enjoy. 

Surprised at that as your comrades on here only had our non title to our name as a retort in your relegation season when they were foaming at the mouth over my pretty meek wind ups. 

6 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

Surprised at that as your comrades on here only had our non title to our name as a retort in your relegation season when they were foaming at the mouth over my pretty meek wind ups. 

It’s only footy. As long as I can watch my team I will and I don’t get too excited about others or what their fans say. I’m not easily wound up. Not football wise anyway. As I said. Enjoy. 

11 hours ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Was listening to the end of Off the ball this afternoon and they were asking as to why we're called the Warriors.

I always used to think it was a link to the heritage of the area, like Arthurs's O'on, the old castle * demolished in the 60's * and many a battle in the area etc... Is that right?

Rumour or legend has it that the great Jimmy Weir commented on how they were playing in a game saying " They are fighting like Warriors" and that was how it came about.

However from Google .......

The club was formed via a breakaway group from a local junior team called Heather Rangers in 1884. They played at two other local grounds, Tryst Park and Goschen Park, before settling down at Ochilview in 1890. The nickname 'The Warriors', has been used since at least 1887 but the actual origins of the name are lost.

Edited by Crazy Days
addition

On 14/01/2024 at 09:43, Francesc Fabregas said:

Everything seems to be going in Stenhousemuir's favour at the moment. It was another fortuitous weekend - we beat the Spartans quite comfortably, Peterhead lost and Dumbarton dropped points - and it's getting difficult to envisage anyone else catching us at the top of the table. The next three games - Stranraer at home, Peterhead away, and Dumbarton at home - will determine the season, I feel. The title seems to close we cannot fail to grasp it. This really is the best it's ever been.

Exactly this. two six pointers coming up against two teams challengng for the top of the table. win those and see of stranraer and those games determine our season. no pressure.

Nat Wedderburn has triggered a contract extension with Stenhousemuir and will stay at Ochilview for another season.

Fair play to him - I might have been keen to move him on in the summer but he really seems to have a spring in his step at the moment. He's formed a superb partnership with Mikey Anderson in the middle of the park and is vital to how we play.