Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

14 hours ago, Neilly said:

We surely can't go down the road of appointing from within again. Balmer is part of the team that's got us into this mess so should be nowhere near it.

Only for as long as it takes to get a new man in.

Cannot say I am surprised by this decision.  On Saturday after they scored their third he sat down in the dugout and for me the writing was on the wall at that point.

Think the worst thing that could have happened to him was beating Falkirk 4-2 and instilling false hope in the board.

Good luck to him and thanks for efforts as a player and a coach unfortunately not able to cut it as a manager with us.

We surely can't go down the road of appointing from within again. Balmer is part of the team that's got us into this mess so should be nowhere near it.
Stephen Swift is the name that immediately springs to mind for me. Done a cracking job at BSC Glasgow and for me has earned his stripes for a move. Kevin Harper is another name I would like what a job he's done at Albion Rovers but he may see that as a side way move at this stage of his career. Both would require some kind of compensation as well which may throw a spanner in the works.

Two good shouts there.
I wonder whether this job would tempt Stevie Aitken who of course is a former Warriors player.
One thing is for sure there will be plenty applicants I’m sure. Stenhousemuir’s location is ideal for recruiting players from the East or West coast so it’s an attractive gig.

Aitken turned down Stirling last season as his ego thought he was above managing at Level 4, I guess the lack of clubs rushing to appoint him manager may have mellowed his outlook but I wouldn't bet on it.

Gary Caldwell crying into his big box of Timbits right now, you have been warned!

20 minutes ago, CEMSFC said:

Davie Irons takes over until someone is appointed permanently 

Interesting stuff. Davie Irons is joining the club in a similar situation to the one he found when he took charge in late 2010 - a team with no real direction circling the drain (albeit relegation into the old Third Division). He brought in some tremendous players - most notably Eric Paton and Michael Devlin on loan from Hamilton Academical - and somehow pulled us away from the foot of the table. Yes, Alloa Athletic's collapse played a big part but some of the games over the latter part of the season were incredible. Paton's goal at the Recs, Devlin's last-minute winner against Ayr United, the match on the final day of the season against Peterhead, all brilliant memories!

There are some decent players in this team, I do believe that. I just don't know how you fix it.

Is Davie Irons still in the police? If not or if his circumstances within Police Scotland have changed, would there be a possibly if him being appointed?

I know Morton fans had an issue with him way back, saw him as a John Collins type, but I remember his initial spell at Stenny being one that was relatively successful and as Cesc eluded to above, had you playing some good stuff.

Despite your current position, I would have thought the job would be attractive for someone who is out there, looking to get back into the game, but like the Brechin job a few weeks back, there are probably no obvious names with the exception of Aitken.

16 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I know Morton fans had an issue with him way back, saw him as a John Collins type

Only the idiot wing of the fanbase, who were still distraught that McInally and all his 'not streetwise enough, good wee players' got emptied in favour of actually effective hammer-throwers. Good to see Sir David return to the game and he should still be able to get quite a lot from even a limited squad. Given his preference for physical players where possible, I'd be interested to see if Dykes does a turn or not, as that's the last card he can possibly play to have a career at any decent level. 

Rather less encouraging news though for Scott McLaughlin, who unwisely disclosed his seethe about Irons emptying him at Morton in the Pele podcast series (IIRC) and now has him back as his boss. What a terrible, wee shame for him. 

5b6d5410-c8cd-4376-80d3-465b75fe7a95.jpg.7e2a27521956373ef725340aafdece71.jpg

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

Rather less encouraging news though for Scott McLaughlin, who unwisely disclosed his seethe about Irons emptying him at Morton in the Pele podcast series (IIRC) and now has him back as his boss. What a terrible, wee shame for him. 

If we stick with 3 at the back, McLaughlin should be fine, as our only other option to fill in as a centre back, plays right wing back in the formation. If Davie Irons wants to change the formation, to have 4 at the back, McLaughlin will probably be dropped, unless Irons starts him over McIlDuff, which I think most fans would want. 

35 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'd forgotten about that! I'm sure Scott McLaughlin said he punched him after a game.

What a laugh this is going to be!

5 hours ago, virginton said:

Only the idiot wing of the fanbase, who were still distraught that McInally and all his 'not streetwise enough, good wee players' got emptied in favour of actually effective hammer-throwers. Good to see Sir David return to the game and he should still be able to get quite a lot from even a limited squad. Given his preference for physical players where possible, I'd be interested to see if Dykes does a turn or not, as that's the last card he can possibly play to have a career at any decent level. 

i don't remember it being that bad, what did he say if you can remember. anyone got alink?