Forfar 2015-2016 Transfers/rumours/ updates

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bernardblack

From as much as you can take from the highlights of the first friendly of the season, we looked not bad. Some nice one touch play leading up to the first goal.

How were the new signings? Nicholl looks nails

There was some good passing play but the opposition had Chris Hegarty (the son of Satan) in their ranks so weren't ever going to stretch us. Pretty turgid affair in all honesty but good to be back at the Staish even if it wasn't pre season weather...

I thought the game wasn't too bad tbh, first hour especially. Lots of subs always ruins a game.

Foxy was sharp, lost a fair bit of weight too. Kennedy looked good on the overlap but a bit poor in the second half in his distribution, young laddie though, so good to see him getting game time. The rest of the defence was looking pretty solid, Baxter especially. The 2 on 1 against him was defended brilliantly. Smith struggled a bit too but the same as Kennedy, good to get the game time under his belt.

Nicholl already has a loud-mouthed detractor in the terracing. Slagged him off pretty much the whole of the first half for lack of effort!

How you can judge someone after 15 minutes is unbelievable. I really ought to think about standing somewhere else.

All in all, a good start to the pre-season.

I would have liked to have seen TOB and Travis playing together - I have high hopes for that duo too.

TOB came on in midfield and dropped back when Young came on and Travis went off.

Thought Denholm was fantastic - real energy and pace up and down the left. What a shift he put in. So too did Kennedy and he looks like a useful back up to Yano.

Smudger and Kerr both showed good touches at times and showed good understanding with each other as you'd expect having both played together last season in the Development team.

Nicoll put himself about in the middle. I though he was unlucky with the booking but probably should have been yellow carded for the first studs up challenge a wee while before his second challenge.

Baxter defended well when needed and always made himself available when the midfield were struggling for options.

Dunlop also defended well.

Foxy looked much fitter and took the second goal well.

Good effort from Gav in the middle too.

TOB looks like he wants to play the ball out from the back as often as possible, which led to a couple of problems for others in the team when Buckie were closing us down.

Trialist on the right wing/up front did a not bad job but didn't really get too many chances to shine. Probably needs a couple of starts to see how he copes.

Young was solid and Yates did well enough when he came on at right back. Clark and the goalie only got the last 15, so it was difficult to make a fair assessment on either.

Sanny was, well...Sanny. Drag backs, flicks and missing the target with a reasonable chance!

Overall, a useful first excursion and with Swanks, Yano and Hodge still to return, I'm hopeful we can push on this year. Manager still looking to bring in one or two bodies and I think one would have to be an out and out striker. Unfair to rely on young Kerr as the main striker for the season.

that's pretty much it

He's also a very tidy intelligent football player, defensive minded though, won't get you goals but he will be a solid steady presence whenever he plays at centre half or centre midfield, ideal captain material

He's also a very tidy intelligent football player, defensive minded though, won't get you goals but he will be a solid steady presence whenever he plays at centre half or centre midfield, ideal captain material

Good enough for league 1?

I would have liked to have seen TOB and Travis playing together - I have high hopes for that duo too.

TOB came on in midfield and dropped back when Young came on and Travis went off.

Thought Denholm was fantastic - real energy and pace up and down the left. What a shift he put in. So too did Kennedy and he looks like a useful back up to Yano.

Smudger and Kerr both showed good touches at times and showed good understanding with each other as you'd expect having both played together last season in the Development team.

Nicoll put himself about in the middle. I though he was unlucky with the booking but probably should have been yellow carded for the first studs up challenge a wee while before his second challenge.

Baxter defended well when needed and always made himself available when the midfield were struggling for options.

TOB looks like he wants to play the ball out from the back as often as possible, which led to a couple of problems for others in the team when Buckie were closing us down.

Trialist on the right wing/up front did a not bad job but didn't really get too many chances to shine. Probably needs a couple of starts to see how he copes.

Young was solid and Yates did well enough when he came on at right back. Clark and the goalie only got the last 15, so it was difficult to make a fair assessment on either.

Sanny was, well...Sanny. Drag backs, flicks and missing the target with a reasonable chance!

Overall, a useful first excursion and with Swanks, Yano and Hodge still to return, I'm hopeful we can push on this year. Manager still looking to bring in one or two bodies and I think one would have to be an out and out striker. Unfair to rely on young Kerr as the main striker for the season.

Simon Murray ?

Why not ? Bit of a step up playing for an average league 2 side to a side challenging at the right end of the league above .

Massive gulf so it is

And he's 29 years old, not some young lad, played in a team that won promotion from league 1 to the championship before

Massive gulf so it is

And he's 29 years old, not some young lad, played in a team that won promotion from league 1 to the championship before

Is he really only 29 . Must have had a hard paper round !

Why would young Kerr be the main striker? Swankie and Templeman and even Smith would be ahead of him surely? DC simply has to add a striker of some sort, i would hazard a guess at another experienced guy like Barrowman or a youngster on loan.

You would think Murray will get an opportunity at United first before being loaned out again.

Regarding Nicol, he will add a bit bite to the midfield and can also fill in at CB, useful player to have in the squad.

Why would young Kerr be the main striker? Swankie and Templeman and even Smith would be ahead of him surely? DC simply has to add a striker of some sort, i would hazard a guess at another experienced guy like Barrowman or a youngster on loan.

I'd prefer someone who will score goals instead of Barrowman.

Guest bernardblack

We've not played two up front in months.

I would like to see a three of Denholm, swankie and Kerr.

Failing that, those three behind Sanny.

Archived