Albion Rovers Transfers and Closed Season Thread

did Livi spend money to take him? In which case was it cash?

He was sold for the loanee coming to Rovers and a 2 for 1 voucher at Tony Macaroni

Obviously I have no idea what is going on but I don't like the notion that the management is is incompetent. Gemmill clearly didn't fit with Young's plans and I'll remind all that we won League 2 at a canter and, although in a slump just now, we're in a far better position than any of us could have imagined. Sorry to lose Mullin but money has come in and we should not wish to obstruct the progress of our successful young players.

Incompetent is strong, but arguably the two best goal scoring threats have left in the last 24 hours which has weakened the squad for an already tough run in.

Livi fans don't seem to rate Georgiev, which doesn't fill me with much confidence. I don't believe we'd have taken him had Mullin not been going the other way. It sounds like more of a convenient add-on to the Mullin deal so we have an extra number.

We may have freed up some wages, but anyone likely to improve the squad will be under contract elsewhere, so I suspect we'll be weathering the storm until May.

In summary, a poor day at Cliftonhill.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of seasons back Alloa were in a better position than yourselves in the championship at Christmas time but struggled to pick up many points for the rest of the season. They eventually avoided the play offs on goal difference after Queens scored a 96th minute equaliser against us on the last day of the season.

The season I'm thinking about 2010-11, Alloa Athletic finished the campaign by being relegated via play-offs. They began the new year looking comfortable in fourth place but went on a horrendous run of form and slid down the table. They took on Davie Irons' Stenny in a do-or-die clash in April and lost, eventually slipping to ninth, and they went down after losing to Annan Athletic in the play-offs.

I remember their transfer business at the time included signing boys like Kevin Motion and Nathan Taggart, guys who wouldn't ever really improve the team. And so it proved.

From a Stenny perspective, that match at the Recs was one of my all-time favourite games. The Warriors had to win - anything else and they would have been guaranteed ninth place - and despite going a goal down, Grant Anderson and Eric "The Big Easy" Paton secured the win. A brilliant, brilliant day.

The season I'm thinking about 2010-11, Alloa Athletic finished the campaign by being relegated via play-offs. They began the new year looking comfortable in fourth place but went on a horrendous run of form and slid down the table. They took on Davie Irons' Stenny in a do-or-die clash in April and lost, eventually slipping to ninth, and they went down after losing to Annan Athletic in the play-offs.

I remember their transfer business at the time included signing boys like Kevin Motion and Nathan Taggart, guys who wouldn't ever really improve the team. And so it proved.

From a Stenny perspective, that match at the Recs was one of my all-time favourite games. The Warriors had to win - anything else and they would have been guaranteed ninth place - and despite going a goal down, Grant Anderson and Eric "The Big Easy" Paton secured the win. A brilliant, brilliant day.

Forgot about that one TBH but it does highlight that it's not over yet. It could just be an Alloa thing where they collapse after Christmas though.

Forgot about that one TBH but it does highlight that it's not over yet. It could just be an Alloa thing where they collapse after Christmas though.

Hard to see either Brechin or Forfar putting that kind of run together though at the moment, couple more wins/draws and Albion are well safe imo.

NFA has spoken my mind. Even if the second half to our season is to be a disaster, most of the teams currently below us will continue to take points from each other. I don't believe we'll pick up 10/12 points fewer than Forfar or Brechin.

The Rovers could finish anywhere between 3rd and 8th, the lowest of which would be better than the much-celebrated Paul Martin survival season.

The Rovers could finish anywhere between 3rd and 8th, the lowest of which would be better than the much-celebrated Paul Martin survival season.

If we finished 8th from our current position, would you reflect on the season as a success or wonder what could have been if we'd kept the squad together and managed to get a few decent loanees in from Moherwell and Hamilton?

I think it shows a lack of ambition/belief that the team could make the playoffs, and the opportunity to reduce wages/get some cash in the bank has been prioritised

I'm certain that there's no lack of ambition, the club has the motive and opportunity to try for a top 4 finish, but there is a lack of means: we have the smallest budget and smallest fan base in the league.

If you want to see the Vers in the Championship the best way to go about it is by buying a season ticket next year! (The club should also do their bit by letting you bring Sandwich Jr. along for free.)

You're disappointed the health of your club has been prioritised over spunking money to get into the playoffs? Dangerous thinking

Not spunking money. Keeping the existing squad together and bringing in a few loan players to strengthen it. We've had several players on loan from Motherwell in the past at no fee with the promise that they get game time.

There won't be a better chance to try for the play offs, so it's disappointing that it seems to be passing by for, what, £5k and £200 a week of the wage budget?

I'm certain that there's no lack of ambition, the club has the motive and opportunity to try for a top 4 finish, but there is a lack of means: we have the smallest budget and smallest fan base in the league.

If you want to see the Vers in the Championship the best way to go about it is by buying a season ticket next year! (The club should also do their bit by letting you bring Sandwich Jr. along for free.)

Are selling your best player at the first sniff of cash and punting a cult hero the best ways to increase the fan base?

Are selling your best player at the first sniff of cash and punting a cult hero the best ways to increase the fan base?

This is the nub of the problem: the club won the league last year and, in a Summer where cash was already tight, the fan base didn't grow, it decreased. They have over-achieved against all odds and the fan base has flat-lined. The club has downsized and sold a player. The fan base threatens to decrease again. The manager is doing his job with one hand tied behind his back.

But we can't grudge Mullin his move - it's a life-changing opportunity for him and it's an excellent advert for future Rovers signing targets. Accepting a cash offer was the right thing to do. I don't think it was right to punt Gemmell but like the Ciaran Donnelly saga this time last year, Young has made an unpopular decision and he'll be looking for Archibald, Georgiev and others to prove him right. I, for one, am cutting him some slack because I think he has earned it.

Is there something going on at Rovers?

I don't want to speculate as the club has been great in recent years at communicating with fans and only have a small number of people working at Cliftonhill but I fear that all the signs out of the club might suggest financial difficulties, more pressing than those every small Scottish club faces.

With these sales, understandable in isolation, following on from,I believe two recent board resignations (?) and the inability to recruit a full squad in the summer, just what is going on at Albion Rovers?

I ask as I really wish the club well and visit a few times each season and am concerned but realise I am not as well informed on matters as I'm hoping some responders will be.

Mullin and Gemmell have both been replaced! The manager has lost a forward and a midfielder, and signed a forward and a midfielder. For all we know they will outshine their predecessors.

I'll happily give any player a chance.

I'm more likely to agree with Bold Rover on this one.

Albion Rovers are in the business of developing players not stand in their way. The deal with Mullin looks to suit both sides. As for Gemmell it was blatantly obvious that this would happen. Doesn't necessarily say that Darren Young as a crisp manager- he has proved in both seasons so far one with a squad awash with choice and this season with a smaller more tight unit of players- arguably we have played the better football this season.

I think we need 2 wins to ensure we stay up and the manager thinks he can do that with the squad we have.

The only thing I can maybe accuse the club of is a wee bit of complacency. Many fans got brain washed with the idea that Chris Cadden was coming back on loan- hey presto he is starting to impress in Motherwell's first team

Looks like there has been a clinical (cynical?) calculation that we'd prefer to finish eighth than fourth, risking promotion to the place above. Those who believe we only require two more wins: that would take us to 34 points - would still need a few more, wouldn't we? A draw tonight and a win on Saturday would go a long way to ensuring safety. The five points chucked against Forfar and Airdrie are looking expensive right now.

Very disappointed that the above post went unanswered.

We complain about lack of interest in the club and poor attendances but can't even maintain a regular internet thread on the happenings at the club?

It starts with us who are here and interested and I issue this as a rallying call for supporters to get involved in this thread a hell of a lot more. We have good posting supporters on this site.

Very disappointed that the above post went unanswered.

We complain about lack of interest in the club and poor attendances but can't even maintain a regular internet thread on the happenings at the club?

It starts with us who are here and interested and I issue this as a rallying call for supporters to get involved in this thread a hell of a lot more. We have good posting supporters on this site.

It's not a question so doesn't warrant an answer.

This "we" you speak of, who would they be?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived